iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372xp or 562xp

Started by Maine logger88, November 16, 2013, 07:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MEloggah

yi run 8 sliders and i make sure they are all full and some doubled usually. the real big big stuff 4 is about all the 640 can handle without straining her sack too hard. really steep and boney lot im on now though. so yea, 2 1/2- 3 cd. the furth im yarding the heavier i load..

i do love my smaller saws and they really shine in softwoid and my shoulders like it better too.

i didnt realize my post pretty much echoed an earlier one. sorry to be so repetetive.

MEloggah

ehp, whats your tj weight 16000? we have had lots of c4 and c5s both duetz and gms but the duetz would pull much harder. we had one with a c6 blade and loaded rubber and that baby would yard as much as you could give her it seemed. worked well out of its pay grade lol

ehp

without chains on it is comes in at 18,200 pounds , I put her on a scale at the pig farm , its a 1999 machine , just over 7,000 hours on it now and in pretty good shape , I bought it just over a year ago and the first owner only used it in the winter time . I wanted to buy a 66 or 666 clark or a 67 but could not find any thing I liked out there , most were junk . We had a couple 740's , 1 had 2 winches on it and a 4 way blade . very heavy machine but could pull the world if you could get it hooked up  but also would get stuck at the first sign of wet ground

ehp

when I first came down south here I was thinking these guys down here sure like making lots of hitches per day cause most only had 2 chokers on their mainline , I learned real fast why that was , most of the timber you cut here is oak of some kind as there are 7 different types of oak here and 500 feet per tree is quite common and with white oak coming in at 14,000 pounds per 1000 ft on scale lots of times I take 1 big oak at a time , 1000 foot oak I see quite often and there a bitch to get to the landing most times

Maine logger88

Wow I'd like to try a 640 I bet there quite an animal! My 540 I try to keep 2 to 2.5 on good going less on rough ground and my 225 around 1.5. ehp what model tj is yours
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

tlandrum

I sold my f666g a couple of months ago. it had a fresh 225hp 5.9bta in it. that skidder would pull what ever I could get hitched to it. 
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Maine logger88

Yeh clarks are a good machine very simple to operate and tough as nails I've run a couple of the older 664 and 666 with Detroit power that was OK but a Cummins would be a lot better my only complaint was neither one had breaks which sucked for winching and dangerous on hills but I'm sure the newer ones had better breaks

MEloggah

Quote from: Maine logger88 on November 17, 2013, 10:27:47 PM
Wow I'd like to try a 640 I bet there quite an animal! My 540 I try to keep 2 to 2.5 on good going less on rough ground and my 225 around 1.5. ehp what model tj is yours

honestly i think you would be disapointed. i dont find it that impressive for its size and two extra cyls. im some glad i dont own it ill tell ya that. i operate it on % of wood cut. ill take our tree farmers all day every day. 12 to 15 gallons a day and i work alone so really no more wood gets on the landing at the end of the day. also it dont pull much more then any of the duetz piwered c5s we have had. its to high to jump in and out of all day also. the only thing about it is its quicker back through the woods empty. loaded you can only go so fast period.  those are my thought on that pile!

Maine logger88

O really huh I ran a 648 once and was disappointed but I figured that was just cause of the grapple but I guess not I think if I decide to replace the 540 it will probably be with a 240A and a 6cyl duetz I always was a Deere man but the I really like my 225 for a small machine so I imagine that I would really like a 240

ehp

Mine is a 230A , its the same as the 240A with the bigger axles and winch and the cummins has been opened up abit , now its to be about 142 hp, one of the last they made when John deere bought them out , its a really TJ not like alot of them around here which are half TJ and half JD, my Dad had quite a large logging company up north so we had just about every type of machine out there , I know I didnot like any of the 640's we had , the 540's were pretty good , the 740's were ok but under powered with only 170 plus hp so once that motor got tired we would be a 288 hp motor in them, huge difference and alot faster getting around but you had to stop and fuel up at noon or you would run out of fuel before quitting time , Had a couple TJ 450's that worked pretty good and the clark 666 and 66 , they worked very well and never had a second trouble with them  all 5.9 cummin

ehp

I ran my latest play toy which is a ported 562 in some 36 to 40 inch on the stump oak today , I think I'm getting near its limit but it sure cuts that size of oak real good , way faster than a stock 372

Maine logger88

O nice what does that have for a winch? I would really like to have one of the newest 200 series tj like yours there my favorite nice to get on and off for sure. Man I bet that 740 would pull a big twitch especially after you turned it up

ehp

mine has the gearamatic, Larry;s has the JD winch style on his , I like mine better , less trouble .

the 740 is a skidder that is pretty under powered but had alot of weight so it would pull hard just not fast so you loaded it up every hitch you did , now with the big power I found it made a huge difference in the snow , the skidder was alot faster and got around alot better as it had enough power to move

Maine logger88

Yeh I saw a 240C on craigslist this summer in vt it was a 2000 model I believe, standard shift with the JD winch model to40 I believe but not sure if funds weren't tight I would probably have sold my 540 and bought it. My father was telling me about a 240A probably mid 80s with a 353 turbo and had four new forestry special tires four babec ice chains put on in the mid nineties a and has been kept in a barn ever since used only to pull the owners firewood id like to see if he would sell he probably wouldn't but no harm in asking

MEloggah

a tj with a duetz would be nifty. i never could make the controls and the left side exit grow on me  :(

Maine logger88

Who does your porting on your saws I'd like to try one is there someone I could send a cyl to and have it done not sure if id dare do it myself

Maine logger88

MEloggah it took me awhile to get used to after running a Deere for so long but after running it most of the summer it kinda grew on me now the Deere is seriously hurt its all I have been running for the last couple weeks biggest thing that was hard for me was not being able to winch with the clutch pushed but now I'm used to it I hardly think of it

ehp

I do my own porting , I have ported a few saws in my life time LOL, I'm not a duetz fan , I have rebuilt way to many of them, but they are easy to fix . cold weather and those motors just donot like each other , One of my friends has a 1997 240 TJ and other than the winch there pretty much the extra same machine as mine , ya the TJ are easy to get in and out of but so were the 450 Tj with 23.1 by 26's on it .

Maine logger88

Is it pretty hard to port is like to try maybe one of my older saws would be a place to start I've always just used stock saws and up until recently I didn't know so many people had such good luck with it I have however had good luck with my ported mxz cylinders. Yeh I have never had any experience with a duetz just heard good things about them I have had a little with a 4bt in a 180 Prentice but that's all I have run with the Cummins motor it worked great tho and I certainly wouldn't mind a 230 or 240 with one of them in it

ehp

there are lots of people that port saws , most have a good idea on what their doing . Myself I hate running a stock chainsaw but thats just me , I like the cummins motor in a skidder

ehp

and as far as learning how to port saws , yes a older 372 will be easier than say a new 562 to learn on , the newer motors takes abit more thinking than the older engines to get right and the older motors will be abit more forgiving if you make a mistake and over port it , these new motors not so much

Maine logger88

Yeh maybe I will buy a new p@c from Baileys for my oldest 365 and try with that have any of you tried the big bore kit or would I be better off with the 372 p@c

AdkStihl

Quote from: Maine logger88 on November 18, 2013, 09:14:54 PM
Yeh maybe I will buy a new p@c from Baileys for my oldest 365 and try with that have any of you tried the big bore kit or would I be better off with the 372 p@c

OEM cylinder
If youre gonna grind on it, save a few bucks and buy a Meteor kit.
J.Miller Photography

MEloggah

ive been reading about ported 562s. seems like it really brings them to life. i always wonder about reliability though???  for my one man donkey show ill just keep things as is i think. i cant see it increasing my production in any way so why bother. i figure if i get a couple years out of a saw before she becomes parts then good enough.

EHP, how cold are u talking? we have had more the half a dozen duetz motors in skidders and never a lick of trouble. ofcourse 0 degrees is about my limit for workin my equipment. beliw that i say {inappropriate language edited by admins} it and go sit in my fish house for the day and drink beer ;D

Maine logger88

I was thinking either the nwp big bore or the meteor 372

Thank You Sponsors!