The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Husqvarna quality, how has it been compromised since sold at big box stores?  (Read 7188 times)

Offline brettl

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new
    • Share Post
As I understand it, and please correct me where wrong, Husky, Poulan, Craftastman, Jonsered, Redmax and how many others(?) are one. Since the big box store availability, where does the old Husky quality end, and the Poulan/Craftsman-type "disposable" stuff begin? How far does the disposable stuff carry over into the Jonsered and Redmax saws? No disrespect to Poulan or Craftsman. I've owned Poulan and it was a decent saw for the use it was intended. I currently own a so-called "Professional" Craftsman and have been favorably surprised at the performance. Starts well, idles and transitions well and has good power. Cheesy chain tensioning system though. Looking forward to your answers.  Thanks

Offline Rob5073

• New to the forum. Hello all
    • Share Post
I can say this: Husqvarna doesn't let the big box stores sell the pro grade saws.  I tried to get the "blue store"  to order me a 545 Auto Tune.  The employee called the Husqvarna rep while I was standing there and Husqvarna said no.  I went through Baileys.  I don't know about their home owner or ranch saws. Husqvarna's pro saws are top notch IMO.

Offline nmurph

• Share Post
I'm pretty sure you can order up to a 2265 through TSC.

Offline brettl

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new
    • Share Post
That Jonsered series at TSC is one I'm curious about. Can I buy parts for and service them? Are they built more along the lines of Poulan/Craftsman disposables, or the better Husky saws?  I'm seeing Echo saws almost identical in appearance to the Jonsereds, are they part of this Husky family as well?

Offline nmurph

• Share Post
The Jreds you see on the shelf are the low end and the Rancher lines. The Rancher lines are decent saws.

No, Echo is not a part of the Husqvarna conglomerate.

Offline SawTroll

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
"Husqvarna quality, how has it been compromised since sold at big box stores?"

Not at all, as they made some really cheap models anyway (or had Poulan make them).
Actually, all the brands do....
Information collector.

Offline brettl

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new
    • Share Post
Perhaps I should have phrased it "... since Poulan started making some of them"? That would have been more accurate. I just don't know how long Poulan was making them before they showed up in the big box stores. I will be buying another saw soon and would like to know which saws in this conglomerate are still quality saws. I cut a lot of hedge every year and recently lost my best mid-sized Stihl to theft.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
The 400 series and up (and I believe the entry level 240) are made in Sweden and are top notch saws in their class. The 100 series were Poulan built, decent enough for the occasional user but of not much interest to most of us.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline JohnG28

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
The rebadging of saws comes from parent companies owning multiple brands and combining lines to serve both brands, if you get what I mean.  The quality of any manufacturer's saws depends on which one you are buying, at least for Husky, Stihl, Jonsered(which are twins to most Husky saws in different colors),  Dolmar, etc.  Their light use homeowner saws are just that, and their pro saws are quality professional saws. The box stores selling them is just an outlet for some lower models, save for TSC and some of the Jonsereds they offer.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Offline SawTroll

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Rebadging isn't always connected to saw brands owning each other - it started long before that.
Information collector.

Offline cheeves

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
I'm still partial to the Husky's made in the 70's and 80's though! Love the old 162 Husqvarna! And the old orange top 44 was an incredible little saw!! Have 2 now, not orange top, and one has an OE 346 piston milled down .015 to fit. Have 2 61's that are hard to beat, and a converted 261 to a 262 that is my favorite!
Can't beat the old Husky's. But the old Stihl's were great too. A 056 were fabulous, and my 032 is probably the best built 50cc saw ever!! ( Not to get off Topic)!  :laugh:

Offline JohnG28

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Rebadging isn't always connected to saw brands owning each other - it started long before that.

I meant more for modern day. In the past it has been more involved but currently is more due to parent companies.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Don't know about if the quality has changed but when Husqvarna started going the box store route it put one fine local lawn and garden shop out of business. Course that was a few years back. Most consumers just look at the brand name and don't consider if the box store model is as well made as what the dealer has. This is especially true in lawnmowers.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
I support a dealer. If I need something,thier help,than I should have it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline ReggieT

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Perhaps I should have phrased it "... since Poulan started making some of them"? That would have been more accurate. I just don't know how long Poulan was making them before they showed up in the big box stores. I will be buying another saw soon and would like to know which saws in this conglomerate are still quality saws. I cut a lot of hedge every year and recently lost my best mid-sized Stihl to theft.
Did you say;"HEDGE?"....my most favorite wood in the world!! 8)

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
If you want to play you got to pay, price tells you a lot about quality. They make home owner and pro quality. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
I think in general conversation just about every manufacturer in the world produces products that are of a lesser quality to target a specific market niche .

Sears/Poulans take the brunt of unfavorable comments but keep in mind they were made to Sears' specs .Poulan made some pretty robust saws and for that matter Stihl made some that aren't what one would  consider to be real bullit proof .

Offline SawTroll

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Perhaps I should have phrased it "... since Poulan started making some of them"? That would have been more accurate. ......

The current Poulan involvement in making the cheapest Husky (and Jonsered) models started around 1990, with the 36 and 41. Then it went 136/141 - 137/142 and then 235/236/240.
Before that it was a mix of Skil/Quadra Train/Emab (that operation had many names) in Canada, a single Solo, and more Poulan made ones....
Information collector.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
You can carry it on farther than that .

Briggs and Stratton for example made at least three versions of a vertical cylinder 8 HP engine depending on the market .The least expensive was a plated cylinder with a non inserted main bearing .In other words the aluminum case was the bearing .

Next up was the iron cylinder brass inserted sleeve bearing model .Lastly the industrial version with a ball bearing crankshaft and iron cylinder at least as robust as a compairable Kohler in that power range .

So just like chainsaws just because it has a certain name does not qualify it nor disqualify the product of being robust .

Offline brettl

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new
    • Share Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I certainly understand that a name doesn't make the saw. True in most industries. I'm just trying to learn a bit more about the Husky line of saws. Jonsered and Redmax seem to have some good ones to but I don't know if they're quality saws any more with Poulan in the mix. I'm particularly interested in learning about the Husky 261 as there's one on my local cl right now. The seller has totally rebuilt it and it has the 262XP top end. If the 261 was a true Husky I'm interested, but if it's a Poulan-made saw I'll pass it up. Keep the information coming guys. Thanks

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
SOLD Circle Saw Books, Quality Control Book and Foley Belsaw Bulletins SOLD

Started by inspectorwoody on For Sale

6 Replies
Last post February 06, 2018, 06:08:05 PM
by Grizzly
xx
Highest quality lowest price aftermarket parts for Husqvarna

Started by twinstaxx on Chainsaws

10 Replies
Last post November 20, 2017, 08:08:35 PM
by JRWoodchuck