iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 362CM ?

Started by sweetjetskier, December 27, 2013, 07:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetjetskier

I see Stihl has the 362CM listed on their site.

Has anyone here run one yet?

I had a 036 pro that was a great saw, but it was stolen a few years back.

Chris
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

Higgins

I've had one since Dec 4th. I like it quite well. The new air filter is much better than the ones on the 361/2.  It's a lot of fun to run. 

ehp

can you get it in heated handles ? I got a couple guys that want them but with heated handles

AKDoug

Check with your distributor.  They exist according to mediaCAT that lists heated handle versions of the CM.

JohnG28

Wish I could get that air filter on my 361!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sweetjetskier

Thanks for the reply guys.

Nice saw, the newer Stihls with the M-Tronic have much improved air filters, that I have noticed on a few of the demo Stihls I have had this year.

I would be looking at the Artic version as a few mentioned they are in the system, locally we do not have them yet though.

Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

Higgins

Quote from: sweetjetskier on December 28, 2013, 01:58:44 PM

Nice saw, the newer Stihls with the M-Tronic have much improved air filters, that I have noticed on a few of the demo Stihls I have had this year.

I would be looking at the Artic version as a few mentioned they are in the system, locally we do not have them yet though.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen an "Artic version" in person.

AKDoug

Quote from: Higgins on December 28, 2013, 02:01:27 PM

Unfortunately, I haven't seen an "artic version" in person.
Nor have I.  BTW, you can convert the carbed 362 to the new filter by buying a few parts.

CRThomas

Quote from: sweetjetskier on December 28, 2013, 01:58:44 PM

I am buying a ms 362 strait no numbers behind it is it a good choice

SawTroll

The cm version hardly is lighter and neater to handle, so the model remains as uninteresting as it always was. This is a model that only hard-core Stihl fans (and uninformed people) are interested in!  :)
Information collector.

Rob5073

Nice looking saw Higgins.  I lean towards Husqvarna but I do like Stihl's 50cc 261 C-M.

H 2 H

Quote from: SawTroll on December 30, 2013, 02:46:01 AM
The cm version hardly is lighter and neater to handle, so the model remains as uninteresting as it always was. This is a model that only hard-core Stihl fans (and uninformed people) are interested in!  :)

You have stated that there isn't any Stihl dealers in your area so how would you know ?

Here is a quote that says it all

"You know that because you actually run a saw, not just basing it's handling off armchair conjuncture. Bless ole Troll, great source of book/catalog knowledge, but how do you give a credible review when you have never used one ....."

:D
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

Higgins

Quote from: SawTroll on December 30, 2013, 02:46:01 AM

That's quite a generalized statement. Everybody knows (see what I did there?  :D), generalized statements are the product of so-called "uninformed people". Since, I, for one, have stated my desires to actually compare the new Stihl C-M with your beloved 562xp and ponied up my hard earned cash to do so (delivery should occur this week or next), I would like to ask; who, sir, appears to be uninformed and a "hard-core" fanboy of a particular brand?

I understand we have a tendency to grow particularly fond of one brand/model or another. But, when consumers are genuinely looking for the "best" product to serve their needs, bias only hinders the process. For those who actually have relevant knowledge to share--it is more valuable to a potential buyer if facts are stated, rather than subjective opinion.

SawTroll

There are Stihl dealers, but they all are hardware stores/box stores that have no inherant service. What I once said is that the good ones (or decent ones) are gone.
With the current breed of Stihl saws, they simply weren't able to compete with the Husky and Jonsered dealers, I assume.
Information collector.

Higgins

Quote from: sweetjetskier on December 27, 2013, 07:29:29 PM
I see Stihl has the 362CM listed on their site.

Has anyone here run one yet?

Chris

Yes, there are a few of us who have run the new 362C-M I have about 15 tanks of fuel through mine. So far it seems to be an excellent saw. I have not had any problems with the saw and have been impressed on how well it runs, even in the cold (down to -26F). It starts on the second pull, almost every time. I personally like the feel, the balance, and the power. I've said before, it is a fun saw--the more fuel I put through it the more fun it gets.

I am particularly interested to see how the Stihl performs in the heat of summer. The Husky 562XP (which I have ordered) reportedly suffered from use in heat. (I should disclose, the previous statement is based on owner statements taken from this forum, last summer). Although, I have not had an opportunity to test for myself, so please take that with a grain of salt. The rev boost feature found on the 562 interests me. Other than that, the husky and Stihl appear to be a very similar animal.

Regarding weight, the Stihl is published as .43 lbs heavier (12.57 vs 13.0). To me, this is negligible. To someone else, it may be a deal breaker. But, at the end of the day, we're talking a weight difference similar to a cup of water. Perhaps, when I have both units together, I'll do a scale test.

If you are specifically interested in the MS362C-M, I'm sure you will be very happy with it. It has better air filtration than the standard 362, the m-tronic seems to work well, the saw feels as though it has more power (subjective), and mine has very good fit and finish. Over-all, being that it is a new product, it is a bit early for me to fully endorse it. But, so far I am pleased.

Personally, I don't care what shade of orange the unit is, so long as it is dependable, reliable, and makes me money. I'm sure the 362C-M will replace your beloved 036, nicely.

I hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Paul_H

Quote from: SawTroll on December 30, 2013, 11:39:20 AM
There are Stihl dealers, but they all are hardware stores/box stores that have no inherant service. What I once said is that the good ones (or decent ones) are gone.

I'm going to look into this statement and see if it is acurate.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Higgins

Quote from: Rob5073 on December 30, 2013, 05:49:37 AM
Nice looking saw Higgins.  I lean towards Husqvarna but I do like Stihl's 50cc 261 C-M.

The 261 C-M is a nice one.

SawTroll

Quote from: Paul_H on December 30, 2013, 11:49:04 AM

I already answered your PM with some added info - just go ahead, it is accurate!
Information collector.

H 2 H

Quote from: SawTroll on December 30, 2013, 12:08:13 PM
Quote from: Paul_H on December 30, 2013, 11:49:04 AM

I already answered your PM with some added info - just go ahead, it is accurate!

Then why would post there wasn't any Stihl dealers ?
Brian

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

Paul_H

Brand Bashing does nobody any good so let's keep it clean and accurate. I want to hear more first hand experience with the MS362's.  :)

SawTroll

That was about real dealers, which means that they have full service in house, as part of their business - and the real dealers are gone, like I said. The remaining hardware stores/warehouses aren't really close to here either, but that's a different issue.
We used to have two good full service dealer close to here, but both are gone.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: Paul_H on December 30, 2013, 01:09:54 PM
Brand Bashing does nobody any good so let's keep it clean and accurate. I want to hear more first hand experience with the MS362's.  :)

That's correct, but someone is more interested in discrediting me than to discuss any facts, true to his habit from that other chainsaw site...... ::)
Information collector.

Paul_H

It was not directed soley at you by any means.

H 2 H

That's the point of my post that I've been making in this thread   :D

Brian

Higgins

+1  That's why we are here, right? To learn and grow!  smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!