The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: apple tree problem  (Read 1635 times)

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
apple tree problem
« on: May 31, 2004, 07:51:34 AM »
   So we were walking about last evening and I noticed the apple trees had a problem. They had bloomed fairly well, and there are a few bagwr=orms around, but not that many.

What we saw was a lot of tips that looked bad- not specifically defoliated, and no great amount of bagworms seen, but the branch tips and the small new leaves were brownish, withered, or gone. I know what stripped trees look like after the worms get onto them, and this wasn't like that.

And they hadn't set fruit.

We have had a *lot* of rain, cool temps, no specific frost. This was after an early hot spell.

So I guess I'm wondering if it is the temp/rain- do apples get some type of blight under this condition?

Thanks for any information.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: apple tree problem
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 03:50:59 AM »
If the new tips are brown and withered I suspect frost. If you seen tiny brown,black pepper like frass its insect defoliation. Can be tent caterpillar or any moth larvae in the lupar family (inch worms). Are there any pin-sized cavities in the ovule of the flowers? This can be larvae of the railroad worm, which is a fly. They overwinter in the ground under the fruit trees and emerge as adults in spring.
Move'n on.

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 05:55:32 PM »
   The frost- or near to it seems most likely. I hadn't seen any frost *on the ground* the coldest mornings- but I wonder if in certain cases it is actually colder up in the branches- like wind chill. It's been so wet..  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 07:02:58 PM »
2 weeks ago there was alot of scattered frost around. I was tenting out in the lower part of the province and I was on low land. Frosty was biting my nose in the mornin and it was on the poplar leaves, which did not turn black. They can take frost anyway. But no frost at my place which escapes alot of late spring frosts because its on higher ground. I have alot of fruit trees around and there was no damage to blossums. Last fall I never got frost here untill the 20th of October which killed the corn in the field beside the house. It was a hard frost, which crusted the ground. brrrrrrr
Move'n on.

Offline EquineGuy

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 12:37:44 AM »
How wide spread is Cedar Rust?  From what I understand it is a fungus that is passed back and forth from Cedar trees by those orange jelly ball things that hang from the branches.

Any successful prevention or treatments in a heavily wooded area?  I know my apple trees are suffering bad from it.

Poulan 3800 28" blade... errr ummm bar.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Under the old apple tree

Started by Don P on The Outdoor Board

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2020, 03:42:32 PM
by mike_belben
xx
Apple tree wood

Started by JustinW_NZ on Sawmills and Milling

38 Replies
Last post October 27, 2012, 08:21:04 PM
by Okrafarmer