iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why i hate long logs...

Started by Bert, December 30, 2013, 03:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Have to apologize as I seem to have side tracked the original thread a bit.

If there is interest I will re-post the wood-stave pipeline stuff in the General board.

DGDrls

thecfarm

wood-stave pipeline stuff?? I would like to know more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mountain Guardian

Almost everything I do is 16.6 length, turning does get to be a bear especially when you are at 16.6 and working a full 18 x 18 cant.  I simply bought a couple $50 chain hoists from Harbor Freight and have them mounted to rails over the mill, when I want to turn a large log I simply hook up the chain hoists and let them do the work, much easier on the back and the mill rails that way.

I can only imagine how fun 16 foot oak is, I am usually working with red fir, white fir, pine or poplar.  I really like the longer stuff myself twice the amount of lineal feet in the same number of log turns.  But then I often get to cherry pick log decks and I often have 1 inch of taper from end to end at 16 to 24 inches diameter.  Those logs are really really fun to cut....

acewoodturner

That wooden pipeline is amazing. I didn't even know such things existed. If that had been in the UK then it would have achieved 'listed' status and they wouldn't be allowed to replace it. They would have to continue to maintain it regardless of cost!

Mike

thecfarm

acewoodturner,welcome to the forum.

I don't  think dgdris would mind if I posted his link to the stave pipeline.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,71721.msg1079980.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SAW MILLER

I hate cutting 16 foot 1" x 6" oak fence boards  ...It takes a pretty good log to make good ones and the smaller logs have a lot of stress and bad hearts . One big knot kills the deal. My slab pile grows faster than my board pile . If I keep the shorts , I end up eating them . Is a dollar per B.F. about right ?
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

dgdrls

Quote from: thecfarm on January 10, 2014, 05:25:33 PM
acewoodturner,welcome to the forum.

I don't  think dgdris would mind if I posted his link to the stave pipeline.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,71721.msg1079980.html

Nope, not a bit!!

Welcome aboard Acewoodturner.

DGDrls

Thank You Sponsors!