iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer's projects pictures thread

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2014, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Strangely somehow it helps  to be looking in the sawdust for it.  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jim_Rogers

Another pair of end table from logs. One pine one oak.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Greyhound

Actually, I was the customer here.  The red oak timber came from two trees that tipped over on our woodlot, 1250 bd-ft rough.  We wound up doing and did something like 800 sq-ft of random width (3", 4" and 6") with plenty of high quality rough boards left over.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

This young lady will take my odball scrap wood

And make sign's

A bought every two weeks Gail is here digging in my scrap pile witch is a good thing yesterday where i can get a highly value'd big wall nut log for the takeing just have to go cut it down
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jim_Rogers

A while ago, on the "what's you sawing thread" I posted some pictures of the fellow who brought some timbers in from the island of Nantucket off the southern side of MA.

Today, he send me a picture of the completed table he made out of the timbers:

I think it came out nice.

Jim Rogers

derhntr

Nice looking table. I like it when I get paid for slab boards. :laugh:
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

tnaz

Thanks for sharing the pictures Jim.  He did some good work.

Terry

valley ranch

Wow! One thing after another, I've only gotten to page three, I'll come back to look over the rest.

Thanks

http://www.nevadaservicedogs.org/

Jim_Rogers

A while ago, I posted some pictures of my mill cutting some 2" thick short pieces of exotic woods. Well the customer just emailed me some pictures of the first piece he made out of the stuff I sliced for him.

This one is Zebra wood:

This is a type of wooden bowl made by cutting the same piece on an angle with a scroll saw. Then you put the small side of one on top of the big side of the next one and they stack up.

Jim Rogers

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jim_Rogers

grouch

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 14, 2016, 04:57:23 PM
A while ago, I posted some pictures of my mill cutting some 2" thick short pieces of exotic woods. Well the customer just emailed me some pictures of the first piece he made out of the stuff I sliced for him.

This one is Zebra wood:

This is a type of wooden bowl made by cutting the same piece on an angle with a scroll saw. Then you put the small side of one on top of the big side of the next one and they stack up.

Jim Rogers

It looks similar to those telescoping, jam-fit bowls only better. The procedure for cutting is as you describe, with the blade of the scroll saw set at an angle. A series of concentric cuts are made and then you lift on the outer ring and it all jams together and resembles a wooden ship with heavy planking. The amount of overlap for each section depends on the angle chosen for the cut.

The ones I've seen always had at least vestiges of the steps remaining, possibly because it's a lot of work to make 'em smooth and wastes quite a bit of wood.

The bowl you show looks slick! Stacking the sections after cutting would elminate the wasted wood of telescoping as well as reduce smoothing time.
Find something to do that interests you.

Lakehouse2012

I had a great time reading through 7 pages of your projects. I've been making things out of wood for 35 years, here is my latest project: (if I can get the files to upload)

Project started when I found a guy 10 miles north of my cottage that had Emerald Ash Borer come through and wipe out all his trees. He had the idea to slab it all and let it air dry. I came along a year later when he wanted the stuff off his property. I showed up in a Chevy Volt  ;D  Took a few trips but had it at the cottage.  There were additional trips with truck and trailer for a total of 3500 bdft.

I used this Ash for Kitchen cabinets, Laundry room cabinets, wood floors, dining room table and benchs, mantle, and the list goes on and on.... :)

I'll be building a mill this fall, I have my wife's approval so I am going for it!!

Kbeitz

Now that was a deal... Looks great...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishfighter

Magicman

grouch

That is some fine looking work! You sure went beyond just rescuing some wood.
Find something to do that interests you.

Bruno of NH

Looks like an up town job for sure :) :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Lakehouse2012

Thanks guys! I guess i missed the point about telling you that next project is to get the welder out and start building my own mill.
I'll be building a mill this fall, I have my wife's approval so I am going for it!!

Magicman

Now you are really talking.   :P   8)

Magicman

A customer stopped by this morning to show me what he did with the slabs from a tree where we hit nails a couple of weeks ago.  He was going to throw them into the burn pile with the slabs when I insisted that he keep them.

The nail is in the center of the seats.  He used an axe to remove the rotted sapwood which gave the project a "hewed" look.  His wife is happy.   :) 

Thank You Sponsors!