iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not happy to report this

Started by Happycamper, January 21, 2014, 09:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I am saddened but not surprised.  The world has lost a wise and courageous gentleman.  Jim found a way to exit this life gracefully, and generously taught us all how to do it. Now, didn't that just exemplify the Forestry Forum credo perfectly?  We should find a way to preserve this thread somehow for future reference.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

customsawyer

I too am saddened to hear this news. He sure had lots of wisdom for the rest of us. May he rest in peace.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nate379

Is there a way to make a remembrance page of any type?  Photos and a little writeup with comments allowed?

thecfarm

What a Man he was. We all should take his advice about,Just do it,buy that mill when you are young.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Notice that Jeff has added the "In Memoriam" to Jim's profile.  It will serve as a reminder to us every time that we see a post that he made.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

I'm so glad that I got to know Jim in a small way through the Forum. I really wish I could have met him in person. I admired his character.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Tree Dan

I did not know Jim but I'm sadened about the lost of your friend.
My prayers are with his family and friends.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Nomad

I'm sad to hear of this. RIP, Jim.  Tell Tom the rest of us say "Hi," too.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

mikeb1079

hmmm....i was thinking of jim just this afternoon.  his positive attitude and advice to not postpone your dreams were a large part of why i took the jump and got my mill. 

gone but surely not forgotten! 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

isawlogs

Sorry to hear of his passing, I would of liked to meet him and do some travelling with him had he been able to make it out this way. He will be missed, grab a seat along side of Tom and Noble you will fit right in my friend.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

clww

I was thinking of him earlier today. Sad to see the "In Remembrance" by his icon, but he lived his last few months to the fullest. An inspiration to us all. R.I.P. Jim! ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Foxtrapper

RIP Jim, prayers to his family..
2014 WoodMizer LT28

delvis

Sad to hear this, but very nice to be able to read the things he had to say and see how bright his outlook was on life.  I like the community spirit here and hope to find myself in a spot someday where I can make the annual roast and meet some of you.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Bill Gaiche

This man was an inspiration for sure. Made the best of what he had till the very end. There was never a moment during his writings that he complained about what he had been dealt, but always looked forward to the next day. I wish that we all could have met him. RIP ole friend. bg

SawyerBrown

Isn't it strange that a person you never met can have so big an impact on so many people in so many ways.  Gone, but never forgotten.  You're still my hero, Jim

Sure would be nice if his family could read about how we all felt about him ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

lowpolyjoe

ND rancher

So sad to read this,RIP  Jim !
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

mesquite buckeye

The world is a lesser place whenever we lose someone like Jim. :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

pine

What a true example of a man Jim was. 
He met life full on and never wavered.  While I never knew him in person, his on-line persona was one that we can all admire and wish/hope that we can emulate when the time comes.  Never give up and never quit enjoying the life you have.  He truly made the best of his last months, doing the things that he drew enjoyment from.  I hope that his wife is stabilized in the care facility that he was getting her into back in September and is doing well.

John S

Very saddened by the news, RIP Jim!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

samandothers

I thought of Jim often and will in the future. Never met him but am inspired by him. Did things he enjoyed and gave inspiration.

Rest in Peace and thank you. Prayers to the family.

dgdrls

I thought Jim's Family should know how many other folks thought very highly of him.
I sent an email to the funeral home who attended to Jim.

see below.
DGDrls

"Hello Daniel,

I do not have email contact for the family.

I will print your message and mail it to them.

Thank you for sending this and thinking of them.

Regards

Tammy Fischer
Business Administrator

Fischer's Funeral Services &
Crematorium Ltd.
4060 1st Ave. SW
Salmon Arm, BC, V1E 2Y9
Tel:  250 833-1129
Fax:  250 833-4782
-----Original Message-----
Sent: December 1, 2014 2:59 PM
To: info@fischersfuneralservices.com
Subject: Mr James Ray "Jim" Whitbeck

Dear Mr. & Mrs Fischer

I write to you hoping you could assist with a request.
You recently assisted the Whitbeck Family with services for "Jim" Whitbeck.

Jim was a member of an on-line group know as the Forestry Forum.
The group is a collaboration of folks from as close as BC to as far as New
Zealand who share the same passion for the forest, wood products and
sawmill's.

Jim was an inspiration to the group and I (we) were hoping you could send
this internet link to the family to share with them how much Jim meant to a
bunch of folks who he never even met.

Link: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,72173.0.html

Please let me know as I would be glad to share with the group.

With Best Regards
Daniel Daoust"

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!