iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 066 Red Light

Started by Lorenzo, February 09, 2014, 05:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorenzo

Hello from Nebraska, I have joined the Forum hoping to gain some knowledge about a Stihl I was given yesterday.
I knew it was an 066 when I went to look at it but the red light is new to me.
Here are some pictures and  serial number.  I am guessing it was purchased in 1991. Any one have any comments regarding it?  Serial # is 127128301   

gunn

They were kind of a neat saw. The red led would blink when the saw was hitting the rev limiter and that was supposed to aid you while tuning your saw.

The cylinders had awesome port timing, so a lot of guys would take an old 066 jug and stick them on the newer saws.

Most guys ditched the limited coil in favor an unlimited coil. Other than the crappy limited coil they were nice saws.

gunn

Did red lights come with translucent fuel tanks? Let's see a picture of the other side of the saw where the led would be.

Lorenzo

Top picture shows the red light.  Also the air cleaner cover seams different then other Red light pictures I have found here.  I got this from a friend that bought it new and used it once,  There was an accident that day and he has never used it again. He is 76 years old now and I have known about this saw since the day he bought it and had the accident.

gunn

AKDoug

The saw was purchased 5/20/1993

Lorenzo

Quote from: AKDoug on February 09, 2014, 08:08:40 PM

Thanks for the reply, How do you find that information? If you know that then do you know who bought it? because I do. LOL

Andyshine77

Quote from: Lorenzo on February 09, 2014, 08:16:16 PM

Thanks for the reply, How do you find that information? If you know that then do you know who bought it? because I do. LOL

The name has to be a joke, if not wow, the poor guy must have had a rough time in school.
Andre.

Lorenzo

Quote from: Andyshine77 on February 09, 2014, 08:21:44 PM

The name has to be a joke, if not wow, the poor guy must have had a rough time in school.

I can tell by your response that you were able to find out his name. 
So how did you find out that information ?

Lorenzo

FYI Here is a picture of the carb area, you can see the two wires attached to the light.

ALSO,   He took the sticker off that said MAGNUM .

You cant tell from the picture but it looks like it was removed from the air cleaner cover. I have also seen it placed just above the  066 emblem .   So If he bought it May 20 1993 it could have been sitting on the shelf at some dealer for a while and it may be an earlier model.  My question is Where is the proper placement for the MAGNUM sticker because I want to put one on?  I have read some other older post on this forum that seam to agree that they only made the Red Light for two years  (91 & 92) 

SawTroll

Are you sure that there actually was a "Magnum" sticker on it when new?
Information collector.

sablatnic

The red light was to help tuning the saw. (Full throttle, turn in the H-screw till the light lit, and then in an eighth of a turn, or something like that).

Andyshine77

Quote from: Lorenzo on February 09, 2014, 08:31:35 PM

You have to be a dealer, or friends with one. His address, well in this case PO box is listed as well. original owner sounds a bit shifty. :) Nice saw BTW.
Andre.

ZeroJunk

I don't think they had Magnum on them. There is nothing wrong with the Red Lite ignition other than the RPM that the light comes on gets off over time. Just don't go by the Red Lite. If it dies you can go to a standard 066 coil, but you will have to change the flywheel if it doesn't have two keyways. If it does just change the keyway. If you do have to buy a flywheel only aluminum will work. The later polymer flywheels won't fit.

JohnG28

No Magnum sticker?  Sounds like junk, want to sell it?? ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Lorenzo

Quote from: SawTroll on February 10, 2014, 06:29:47 AM

Yes, it had the sticker, I just want to put it on in the correct place when I get one.

Pictures on the forum and the internet show it in two different places but I guess im going to put it on the air cleaner cover because you can see where something was removed in that area when you look close at the paint.
I plan to just leave this old girl alone (Stock) and heep it as original as I can due to it's condition and because I know the history of it.

Lorenzo

Quote from: Andyshine77 on February 10, 2014, 07:19:02 AM
Quote from: Lorenzo on February 09, 2014, 08:31:35 PM

You have to be a dealer, or friends with one. His address, well in this case PO box is listed as well. original owner sounds a bit shifty. :) Nice saw BTW.

Original owner is a great man, Born in Austria and Raised in an orphanage in the U.S  Also a decorated war hero from the pre Nam era.  But yes, the name is amusing. 

Andyshine77

Andre.

SawTroll

Quote from: Lorenzo on February 10, 2014, 09:39:52 AM
Quote from: SawTroll on February 10, 2014, 06:29:47 AM

Yes, it had the sticker, ......

OK, thare actually was a differense between a regular 066 and an 066 Magnum back then.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Lorenzo, is your 066 bought in Canada or the US?
I bought my 066 Arctic [heated carb] Magnum new in 1992 here in Canada, comes with a dual exhaust outlet muffler. I don't think they were badged as Magnums in the US.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Lorenzo

It was bought in the U.S.  and this area isn't really  known for giant trees, so a saw of this vintage and size around here is quite rare.  The area I am referring to that shows evidence of having something removed may have been a dealer sticker or something like that.  Holmentree, on your saw you pictured, what is the digital sticker?  Heated carb?
That is the area where something was removed on my saw. Also your air cleaner cover appears to be pot metal?
Mine is plastic.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Lorenzo on February 10, 2014, 10:43:36 AM
It was bought in the U.S.  and this area isn't really  known for giant trees, so a saw of this vintage and size around here is quite rare.  The area I am referring to that shows evidence of having something removed may have been a dealer sticker or something like that.  Holmentree, on your saw you pictured, what is the digital sticker?  Heated carb?
That is the area where something was removed on my saw. Also your air cleaner cover appears to be pot metal?
Mine is plastic.
Yours has the HD airfilter, mines just the flat top made of alloy. The gas tank is translucent and the heated carb has heating elements on it as my pic shows with a thermostat that keeps it at 77F. This prevents icing up with our cold winters up here where these saws can be run to -30 to 50below. The "Arctic" sticker is the worn blue decal .
Digital ignition was  what Stihl named their setup at the time as the first digital ignition.

Lorenzo

Thanks Holmentree,  Then perhaps the decal that was removed from my air cleaner top was the ( Digital ) and not the  (Magnum)  afterall.   Now I will have to hunt down one of those.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Lorenzo on February 10, 2014, 02:23:37 PM
Thanks Holmentree,  Then perhaps the decal that was removed from my air cleaner top was the ( Digital ) and not the  (Magnum)  afterall.   Now I will have to hunt down one of those.
You got a great find there, looks like perfect out of the box shape. I got thousands of hours on mine and almost 22 years later still never had it's cylinder off.
Have to add, shortly after I bought mine Stihl gave me the upgraded ignition module and if my memory is correct I got the upgraded flywheel to match.

Tom King

I have one that hasn't looked that good in over 20 years.  It's a great saw.  I've never been in mine either.  I've never put ethanol in it, and it starts quick every time.

Thank You Sponsors!