iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grits

Started by petefrom bearswamp, February 16, 2014, 10:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Sharp chesse is aged,old,has some bite to it,strong taste. Years ago when you could buy the wheel cheese at just about any store,my Father would buy some and put it in the back of the fridge to age. When he brought a new piece he would replace it with the old one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goose63

Quote from: isawlogs on February 19, 2014, 07:49:18 PM
Now what in the world is '' sharp '' cheese  ???   :P
What you guys up there don't know nutten sharp chedder cheese has a little stronger taste :D ???
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

coxy

Vermont  says it has the best cheese    at the highest  prices to  :D :D was at hog back look out years back got a bag full of different kinds of it when they told me the price of what I had in the bag I put it all back in the fridge  ;D

isawlogs

Hey!!!  We knows lots, its you guys that keep throwing curve balls at us poor northerners, its still quite cold up here and we need a little more time to think things through. How did one come to name old cheese sharp, a knife may be sharp, got a few young ones around that may also think they may be sharp.. but cheese....  ::)  Then again some of you all like g--ts   :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

You made me do it again. ;D  I think I've posted this a couple times before.
I took this video 5 years ago at the Indian River Fair.  It's coming up again soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OnE8oigYGY

thecfarm

With a title like that...... I'm not watching it.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

The very last scene in the video told it all.  Grits are red blooded all American food.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Shoot, with all that old iron you yanks aughta be salivating at the mouth for that fine, old timey, food.   8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Weekend_Sawyer

On Magic Man's recommendation I tried yellow grits. Very nice flavor.
Now what I like to do with them is to pan fry some sausage, the kind that comes in a tube.
add onions, a cup of yellow grits, 2 cups of water, salt and pepper to taste, cover and cook for 20 minutes.

Tasty, tasty, tasty!
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

isawlogs

Jon, you was doing good up till the sausage, after that it went downhill..... :-\ :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

petefrom bearswamp

some of this is off of the subject of grits.
well here is another of my opinions
Grits reminds me of the cream of wheat I was fed by my mom in my youth.
Kind of bland but with butter (it was margarine in those days) and some sugar and milk of the whole variety was a good breakfast on cold mornings.
Grits is OK with me but not a staple.
Regarding "sharp" cheese I cant' get it to suit me any more.
Cabot s from Vermont has a seriously sharp cheese which doesn't cut it, I just tried some stuff called Mean and nasty which is OK and my local produce store sells a 5X cheese which is pretty good.
Cfarm, When I was young my folks could go into almost any country store and buy what was called store cheese and made the roof of your mouth tingle, cant get that any more.
But!! any food that satisfies your palate is good and there are many many of them.
On the video great machine, but  how come yellow corn went in but the finished product appeared to be white?

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Texas Ranger

Pete, we called that cheese "rat trap cheese" big wheel of it in the store, and you sliced off what  you needed, from a sandwich cut to a take home cut.  Yeah, we cannot get it anymore, either.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There have been a lot of times in my life when someone in the family was sick with the flu or had a virus........
my Mom would feed us just plan Grits.....nothing on them, no salt, no butter, no nothing.
It sure helped.....almost like a miracle drug, better than medicine.

There is no telling what else GRITS could cure.....or enhance.   smiley_love

You have to believe in them and show respect for them....they are a gift from the Heavens.  smiley_angel02_wings
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

Only a true grit professional knows why the grits came out white. 
It may have to do with the inside being white as it is dried corn.

petefrom bearswamp

How do you get yellow grits?
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Mooseherder

isawlogs

My guess is paint  :)

Marcel

coxy

Quote from: isawlogs on February 20, 2014, 06:22:24 PM
My guess is paint  :)
:D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Magicman

White corn makes white Grits.

Yellow corn makes yellow Grits.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on February 20, 2014, 07:29:49 PM

Now that you've told them Magic......I'll bet they feel duhhhh.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

And here I sat thinking you all had a troll with some paint takin' care of the yellar g--ts paintin'  ::)

Marcel

isawlogs

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 19, 2014, 04:29:37 PM
DanG Marcel....where did you find a G that small.  :D

Very special g---s free keyboard!! :)

Marcel

Holmes

Quote from: Magicman on February 20, 2014, 07:29:49 PM

White snow makes white snow balls
  Yellow snow makes no snow balls  ;D
Think like a farmer.

petefrom bearswamp

Lyn it fooled me on the color.
I saw white grits coming out but the corn in the fellows hand was yellow.
Re watched the video and now I understand.
When I was young my grand folks had some stuff called Hominy grits.
What is this?
I would love to see that machine in operation. maybe I could persuade them to bring it north maybe to the great NY state fair and I bet it would attract a huge crowd.
I for one would like to know more about southern culture from y'all there
A born and bred yankee
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Alcranb

Civil war veterans and Gettysburg survivors shake hands in 1913. It was unclear if this was before or after they shared a bowl of grits with maple syrup.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Thank You Sponsors!