The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Husqvarna vs Stihl....POLL.  (Read 81268 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Husqvarna vs Stihl
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 10:07:38 PM »
It's a Ford Chevy thing.Generally speaking no matter who made it most saws of equal displacement cut about the same all things considered .

How long they last might have something to do with how they are ran and what care  they have received .It might have something to do with the oil mix ratio too for that matter .Then again that might open up the ever popular oil wars again . ;D

Offline treechopper40

• Full Member x2
  • cut it skid it load it truck it
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 11:23:45 PM »
im a 3rd generation logger and over the years ive ran homelite,poulan,echo,husky,stihl,jonsered,pioneer,solo,shindawa,sachs-dolmar and a few others and now I run dolmar and husky but its all in what you like the dolmars start and run great that's what I like about them and better priced than a husky or stihl and ther built very well
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

Offline Dave VH

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 12:37:35 AM »
I have several stihls, and love them.  However it is all based on me going to the same dealer right around the corner from me.  I am yet to own another brand, (unless you count my electric chain saw).  A good dealer is a big deal to me.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Offline SawTroll

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Husqvarna vs Stihl....POLL.
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »
Be aware that the current Jonsered saws all are just variants of some Husky model, so they really should count as the same thing (Jonsered is owned by Husky, as is Poulan and some other brands).
Information collector.

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 06:13:03 PM »
Be aware that the current Jonsered saws all are just variants of some Husky model, so they really should count as the same thing (Jonsered is owned by Husky, as is Poulan and some other brands).

I'm glad you said that....wonder what the chart looks like with those two added together. I picked Jonsered and view them as better looking Husqvarna's
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline JT78

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 06:33:39 PM »
Both make good saws as already stated general maintenance and a Sharp chain will lengthen the saws life. Unless you are knowlegable enough to work on your own saws I would find a good dealer close by. If you have both brand available through a good dealer I have to say I prefer the husky depending on what model is in question.

Offline brettl

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 12:40:54 AM »
Stihl, my favorite so far. The 026 Pro was incredible and no doubt still would be in service if it hadn't been stolen. Love all my Stihls since.

Redmax. I have the only Craftsman model ever farmed out to Redmax, a GZ4000 in disguise, and it's been a great saw. This is not a surprise as it's powered by a Zenoah engine, an engine I've been familiar with for a long time having used them on my rc planes. As long as the Poulan/Husky/Jonsered conglomerate don't change the OEM engine on the Redmax, I'd buy another one.

Dolmar/Makita, I'm going to try them next. In my opinion, it's only the lack of dealers that's hurt them. I've heard nothing but good things about them and our little Dolmar dealer just begs you to go out back and fire up their demo saws. I'm going to one of these days.

I wouldn't hesitate on a good buy on a Husky if I was looking for a saw and it was the size I wanted. In fact, I'm looking at trading one of my rc planes for a pair of them.

I'd like to see Echo and Redmax added to the poll.

Offline ShaunUK

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 08:05:35 AM »
Thanks for all replies so far. Pretty much neck and neck so far unless someone can justify not adding Husqvarna and Jonsereds together. In the original thread the question was asked...what has Stihl got that Husqvarna hasn't...of which no replies have been given. If someone was to ask me...what has Husqvarna got that Stihl hasn't....my reply would be less dust around the air filter - because thats all i know.
When you see a like for like saw competing against each other there really isnt that much init apart from maintenance issues and maybe price. So for the Stihl fans out there a little justification would be appreciated as im on a learning curve here. Is the air injection a patent of Husqvarna's that stops the clogging of the air filter..?
Id like to find out which saws the majority of the professionals own, these people being those who work within the industry day in day out. I should have put more thought into the poll. :snowball:
Jonsereds 70E-Husqvarna 51-Husqvarna 50 Rancher

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 09:34:24 AM »
  Near me there is a Stihl dealer that has his initials and SAW SHOP as the business name. He sells all the Stihl equipment plus the associated tools for professionals, Stihl tools are his business. If I want an Echo, Husky, Etc. it will be from a hardware store that sells chainsaws as a small part of there line. Your area may be reversed or you may not care about service but I do so I like Stihl.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline M_S_S

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 11:07:25 AM »
Where I live there are 3 Husky (2 pro shops, catering to loggers, 1 is an ATV, snowmobile dealer) and no S within 30 miles of me. 1 Echo dealer ( a hardware store) . The closest Stilh dealer is about 80 miles away. 5years ago I ran nothing but Stilhs because where I was there was a good dealer, now it is all Huskies. I like both saws but probably like the Huskies a tad better lol. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

Offline BradMarks

• Foresters are TREE-mendous
    • Share Post
    • Pacforest Supply
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:36 AM »
My experience using Husky's (model 61) is from some time ago, PCT work, so I'm curious as to how the newer saws hold up. We used to burn through shock mounts and sprockets on the Husky's. In the 90's used Stihl's, they had lower vibration, easier on the hands and much lower maintenance. Engines on both never failed.

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 01:11:20 PM »
I voted stihl, but I have used huskys too and like them both.

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 07:28:45 PM »
Thanks for all replies so far. Pretty much neck and neck so far unless someone can justify not adding Husqvarna and Jonsereds together. In the original thread the question was asked...what has Stihl got that Husqvarna hasn't...of which no replies have been given. If someone was to ask me...what has Husqvarna got that Stihl hasn't....my reply would be less dust around the air filter - because thats all i know.
 :snowball:

The answer to what Husqvarna has that Stihl doesn't is saws at the price points of 545, 555, 365 that are essentially pro level saws for mid level prices. These Husqvarna models are pro level construction and performance competing with the mid level Stihl's such as the 311's & 391's. I'm sure most here have seen the difference between a 365 and a 372. They both cost less than the typical 441, 440,460 saws which are in the same weight / performance class. So bang per buck. Is a $700 dollar Stihl MS362 better than a $550 dollar 555? I don't know. I do know they both are fine saws, BOTH of them. But is a 562XP or Stihl 362 $150 dollars better? Maybe if your a pro...I don't know. I don't think so.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline mikey517

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 06:08:28 AM »
I needed a bigger saw than my Husqvarna 353 to clear a lot of downed ash trees. I also picked up some work with a friend processing firewood.

I was looking for a Stihl 391, something that could handle a 24" bar if necessary. The price would have been a bit over $600. My local dealer (stocks Stihl & Huskys) did not have any 391's, so I was about to pull the trigger on a 362 25" for $709. I just happened to mention that I was sorry I had missed out on the Husky 365 X-torq's when they were available, when he told me ha could get one with a 24" for $700.

A 70cc saw with pro construction (and easily converted to 372 power specs) for that price was no contest. A 70cc Stihl would have cost at least $150. more.

The 365 was really a "better bang for my buck" purchase, not a judgement on quality.

Offline ShaunUK

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »
The answer to what Husqvarna has that Stihl doesn't is saws at the price points of 545, 555, 365 that are essentially pro level saws for mid level prices. These Husqvarna models are pro level construction and performance competing with the mid level Stihl's such as the 311's & 391's. I'm sure most here have seen the difference between a 365 and a 372. They both cost less than the typical 441, 440,460 saws which are in the same weight / performance class. So bang per buck. Is a $700 dollar Stihl MS362 better than a $550 dollar 555? I don't know. I do know they both are fine saws, BOTH of them. But is a 562XP or Stihl 362 $150 dollars better? Maybe if your a pro...I don't know. I don't think so.[/i]
[/quote]
Well said, i did slightly touch on this when i said.. like for like and price n maintenance, but yeh like you say bang per buck.
Had a look at the Matika yesterday on youtube..Husqvarna 576xp vs. Makita DCS 6401... wow..i think Makita missed out on my poll..absolutley awsome, came out about even. If i could afford a big new chainsaw i would definatley check it out. dangle_smiley
Jonsereds 70E-Husqvarna 51-Husqvarna 50 Rancher

Offline saxon0364

• Full Member x2
  • Anyone finds an axe in the snow it's mine.
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 07:15:17 PM »
I have always run Stihl saws.  I buy a new one about every year.    I have boxes full of dead ones.   Just keep im for parts.   But I have to say they are getting very pricey.  And, the dealer I go to seems to me moving more and more to the home owner market and catering less to loggers.   So,,I would certainly try a sachs-dolmar if some one around here sold and serviced them.   I like the idea of being able to buy parts on line.  That would be a big deal to me.
Nothing wrong with quiet.

Offline charleswalton

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 07:19:35 PM »
I have had Huskys but I like my pro level stihls better and there are no Husky dealers left in my area.Price is not an issue with me because just like trucks and tractors I buy used and get a better deal usually.

Offline brettl

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »

Had a look at the Matika yesterday on youtube..Husqvarna 576xp vs. Makita DCS 6401... wow..i think Makita missed out on my poll..absolutley awsome, came out about even. If i could afford a big new chainsaw i would definatley check it out. dangle_smiley
[/quote]

Hopefully the Makita owners out there will put their votes in as Dolmar since they're the same saw.

Offline JohnG28

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 12:57:12 AM »
The answer to what Husqvarna has that Stihl doesn't is saws at the price points of 545, 555, 365 that are essentially pro level saws for mid level prices. These Husqvarna models are pro level construction and performance competing with the mid level Stihl's such as the 311's & 391's. I'm sure most here have seen the difference between a 365 and a 372. They both cost less than the typical 441, 440,460 saws which are in the same weight / performance class. So bang per buck. Is a $700 dollar Stihl MS362 better than a $550 dollar 555? I don't know. I do know they both are fine saws, BOTH of them. But is a 562XP or Stihl 362 $150 dollars better? Maybe if your a pro...I don't know. I don't think so.[/i]
Well said, i did slightly touch on this when i said.. like for like and price n maintenance, but yeh like you say bang per buck.
[/quote]

They are Dolmar, so the option is out there.....
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Offline stihltoomany

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new, but not real new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 02:49:59 AM »
Run what ya got, Buy what ya want!!  Only thing other than Stihl around here are Huskies at the farm and home, plastic. So guess what, I run Stihl, have for 30 years, had good luck. Last saw other than Stihl that I run was a Homelite 360, heck of a saw. Before that was a mac 3-25, wow that was a long time ago. Even though I am not a Pro Logger I run mostly pro-saws, like the power to weight ratio better. I let my dealer work on my saws, I repair alot of things but I ain't no chainsaw expert! You saw guys are worse than the Ford- Chevy guys, I drive a Dodge. :D
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
 Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
 WoodMizer LT40 super

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Husqvarna 372 or Stihl 441?

Started by KC8QVO on Chainsaws

26 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 04:11:08 PM
by treedragger
xx
Stihl MS 461 vs husqvarna 576 XP

Started by Patrick I on Chainsaws

12 Replies
Last post January 21, 2019, 10:48:36 PM
by Inaotherlife