iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bluebird Boxes

Started by 21incher, February 23, 2014, 11:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

The wife saw one a couple days ago. She beat me this year. Have not seen much activity on them moving in. They are just sitting on top looking around.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Quote from: 21incher on April 18, 2014, 07:47:35 PM
The last 3 days they would go to each of the 4 boxes stick their heads in then fly to the next box and check it out.

They were just checking out the furniture. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

I've been told that bluebird houses close together will just frustrate a pair of bluebirds, and they will build nests in more than one... then spend all their time trying to protect those nests.
I witnessed that once with two boxes about 75 yards apart. Neither nest had babies and the sparrows drove those bluebirds nuts. Now I just maintain one bb house and usually get three cycles in a year.

From http://www.dccl.org/information/houses/birdhouses.htm
QuoteBoxes should be placed 100 yards apart to avoid territorial disputes between bluebird pairs. However, placing boxes in pairs may reduce competition between bluebirds and tree swallows by allowing one pair of each species to nest in close proximity.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kderby

We get bluebirds right on Valentines Day!  We already have babies.  Nest boxes are around the mill and house property.  Having bluebirds around makes life better!

I took an evening walk with my wife while I cleaned out the boxes and played with the dogs....Good Living!

Kderby

21incher

Quote from: beenthere on April 18, 2014, 10:48:36 PM
I've been told that bluebird houses close together will just frustrate a pair of bluebirds, and they will build nests in more than one... then spend all their time trying to protect those nests.
I witnessed that once with two boxes about 75 yards apart. Neither nest had babies and the sparrows drove those bluebirds nuts. Now I just maintain one bb house and usually get three cycles in a year.

From http://www.dccl.org/information/houses/birdhouses.htm
QuoteBoxes should be placed 100 yards apart to avoid territorial disputes between bluebird pairs. However, placing boxes in pairs may reduce competition between bluebirds and tree swallows by allowing one pair of each species to nest in close proximity.
beenthere I placed the boxes in pairs 7 ft apart and 100 ft between the pairs as the bluebird society recommends and there is a swallow now checking out the box next to the one the bluebirds are building a nest in. Another blue bird tried to get near the box being occupied and the pair immediately attacked and chased it off so it seems they don't like their own kind as you say.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!