Woodmizer vibration in band and the mill is buzzing, help! -- Update

Started by RPowers, February 23, 2014, 10:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

backwoods sawyer

Where the guide had been on the mill for a good number of hours and the vibration is new, it lends its self to being a wear issue rather then a manufacture issue.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

This has been a very strange occurrence to say the least.   smiley_dizzy

I hope that the final answer is shared here.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

it would be very interesting to know how much the measurement is out of whack and if it is a straight off centre line bore error or if it is a case of the bore being at a slight angle where the centre of the roll is in line but the one end is up slightly and the other down slightly. CNC machines are great machines but last piece cut out of a piece of roll stock can get off centre because of filings. Have seen it more than once. The CNC machine I baby sit on occasion will throw an off centre stem joint about every 4th or 5th 20ft stock piece and it is always the last piece off the stock shaft. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on February 28, 2014, 08:18:49 AM
This has been a very strange occurrence to say the least.   smiley_dizzy

I hope that the final answer is shared here.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D smiley_dizzy
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

RPowers

After conversing via PM with Marty (Thanks Marty!), he had a new roller assy sent out last week which I received on Friday and installed Sat. The difference in how it spins on the axle is night/day. The old roller wobbled front-to-back and up-down at lease 3/32" if not 1/8" which was setting the blade into severe oscillation. The replacement spins true in all planes like a precision-machined part. So, after comparing the new roller to the remaining "old" roller it is obvious that the other one is turning out of round as well and needs replaced. It was not half as bad as the other one, but it absolutely doesn't turn true like this new one. So another part (thanks again to Marty's quick response even over the weekend) is on the way. I hope to get the second roller in by tomorrow so I can re-align everything and run some test cuts. I'll post back on that.

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions, and thanks to W-M for their outstanding response and support!

RP
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

drobertson

Glad to hear!  And Marty is a trooper for sure!  Nothing like finding the problem and getting it fixed. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LeeB

The good folks over at wood-mizer might drop the ball every now and then, but they always pick it up running. It's just downright hard to find better customer service.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Thanks for the update RP.  This is a situation where not only was the problem identified, there was also every suggestion imaginable concerning possible problems and solutions.  Everyone learns.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!