The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Requesting advice on timber sale for my land  (Read 2477 times)

Offline rockwall

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Requesting advice on timber sale for my land
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 11:00:32 AM »
I guess I need to be clear. My main point was there are professional loggers out there that would treat your forest like their own and they wouldn't need any supervision. They care about their reputation and want to do good work. Just because this guy stopped and asked about harvesting some wood doesn't mean anything about his quality of work. So don't feel you dodged a bullet, he could be the best around. A little research will determine whether you want him to work in your woods or not.

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
Here in Texas it is routine for loggers to send out blind requests to buy timber.  They buy a list from the appraisal district and mail out to anyone that may have acreage, particularly if they have a timber exemption, we call them 1d1's for the form used.

Anyone can buy that list, in the early on days of computer lists some of the worse thieves in Texas were buying lists, and offering a harvest. 

Most loggers tend to be reputable, most loggers that have a company contract don't buy lists.  Most, but not all.  It pays to do the research.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 11:30:32 AM »
I'm on that mailing list. I get one two a year. I have a logger I have used in the past, 3 times so far,and I like what he does. Nothing a matter with going the guy that knocks on door. Just make sure he does a good job first. Check his past work out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »
Like the others said, get a forester and some advice.  You can also call to area mills and see what they pay landed at the mill for different species and grade, that would give you some idea how to evaluate and compare any offer a logger makes to you, this can be a double edged sword as sometimes landowners do not understand the capital and operating expense the logger faces in getting your wood to market.   Ask to see multiple other jobs the logger has done, if he does good work he will want to show you his work.  Ask the logger if he owns the equipment and employs the crew members or is he just brokering out jobs as that is getting more popular. 

Personally, I would never pay cash for a lot up front, I always pay on "shares" or "pay as cut".  That allows the landowner and the logger to work together to adjust a harvest as conditions or desires warrant.  Around here sealed bid timber sales are very common, landowners have been told it is the best way as they get a fat check up front, and then sometime over the next year the wood is cut off, the golden rule applies in those sales - ie he who has the gold makes the rules, does not work out the best for the landowner in my opinion.

One thing to keep in mind as you proceed is to truly understand the value of your timber, I know you said you have some very valuable trees, and they may very well be, but they may not have as much liquidity as you would like due to lack of close mills that buy that wood, lack of export market, etc.  There is an animated parody video out there of a landowner who wants to sell some "very valuable black walnut", it is a back and forth between the landowner and the logger, it is funny, but also can be very realistic. 

The guy who cold called on your door may be working another lot very close by and is looking for a close move when done, which is quite common, or like others said, may be desperate for work, just do your homework, and have a goal for what you want to do with your land post harvest.   

There are lots of guys on here with tons of experience so don't be bashful about asking questions.  Good Luck. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline GATreeGrower

• Tree Farmer and Timber Cruiser
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 02:58:38 PM »
Along with what everyone else said, I'd brush up on Best Management Practices for loggers and landowners so you know how to avoid damaging your land and leave trees during cutting.  And welcome to the tree forum.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 03:11:29 PM »
Along with what everyone else said, I'd brush up on Best Management Practices for loggers and landowners so you know how to avoid damaging your land and leave trees during cutting.  And welcome to the tree forum.

I looked on Amazon for that book but no luck.
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »
Bill, BMP's come from the state forestry/environmental/what ever, department.  Free from their offices.  I have a couple for Texas, but, most recommendations will work, but each state is different.

Offline DeepCreek

• I'm new! No, really!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 03:53:01 PM »
Bill, BMP's come from the state forestry/environmental/what ever, department.  Free from their offices.  I have a couple for Texas, but, most recommendations will work, but each state is different.

Universities and State and Federal Forestry offices frequently have oodles of free literature in the form of PDFs, including BMPs. Don't overlook freebies from neighboring state government or university sites, either. It's all valuable and already paid for with our tax dollars. 

I'm reading some now.   :P

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »
 Personally, theres more crooked foresters than there are loggers up here, and the timber theft laws where changed in NY because of the guy just down the road, if this tells you something. Get comfortable with a forester, or a logger but realize that everyones making money and sometimes things arent going to be perfect. I buy ALOT of small woodlots and my work speaks for itself, unless the landowner wants to pay the forester from his own pocket.
 I recently lost a woodlot to a larger logger once the forester got done with his "smooth" speach of how bigger is better and he might "make more"...  well, it was a lot with 80k foot of saw timber and 200 cord of firewood. There was an over run by quite a bit, wasnt just a little. The homeowner was paid the agreed price and that was it, I think he got screwed on 25k foot minimum. Before the job was done he asked about having a few tops pulled for wood, and the answer was.. "wasnt in the contract"...  lots of other things that didnt seem right. Just becareful when things sound to good, they usually are.

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
I like small loggers, older ones particularly.  They have been around long enough that they know they don't know it all.  Reputations stay around a long time, as do names, check out anyone that  you do business with for money.  Check their background, if you can get an official background check, get it.  Foresters depend on loggers on a job, just as we depend on planters, TSI companies, and mills. Foresters know the loggers, and I am sure the loggers are aware of the foresters.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 05:31:33 PM »
Not in the contract.  ::)   I had my logger bring some cedar right up to the mill for me,all limbed. This was only the cedar that was in the way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline stdout

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 05:40:36 PM »
This is great information. I appreciate all the responses and I've learned a lot.

To the gentleman in Livingston who asked my location: I'm in Cherokee County a bit north of Rusk. I've got some leads on professional consultants nearby and will be making some calls.

This is a great group of people here. I'm so glad to have signed up and asked the question. I have other forest-related questions and will be posing them in a new thread later.

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
    • Share Post

Offline stdout

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 06:02:46 PM »
That's perfect! Thank you.  :P

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Need advice on small timber sale - resisting the walnut fever.

Started by deezler on Forestry and Logging

65 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 12:11:31 PM
by Claybraker
xx
Eastern U.P. land for sale. No longer for sale

Started by Jeff on For Sale

17 Replies
Last post January 18, 2019, 06:57:22 AM
by thecfarm
xx
Land Clearing Advice Needed!

Started by SMLWinds on Forestry and Logging

30 Replies
Last post August 11, 2016, 03:06:01 PM
by Piston
xx
thinning out neglected land and need some general advice...

Started by Piston on Forestry and Logging

27 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 07:36:20 PM
by Banjo picker