iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Safety

Started by BlaBla, June 13, 2004, 09:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlaBla

It's been awhile since I've been to the forum, but now I'm looking for a chainsaw safety course, book, etc. I want to be able to be confident in dropping unwanted trees in a variety of places. Most of the trees are 3-9" diameter. I'm in northeast Kansas. Does anyone know of a course I can find here, or who I should contact to find if there is one?

I know absolutely nothing about chainsaws. I have a Stihl 2.5 cu. in. 011 AV chainsaw sitting in my garage. Do I have a good chainsaw for the job?

Ianab

Hi BlaBla

Not sure where you will find a chainsaw course locally, maybe some of the others can suggest something, cos it would be a good idea.

But otherwise I suggest you find yourself some safety gear, helmet/muffs/visor setup and some safety chaps. Just incase ;)
Also some plastic felling wedges and a basic  chainsaw sharpening kit.
Then print out these files and READ them.

http://www.stihl.de/safety_manuals/usa_en/Motorsaege_US_englisch.pdf
http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdf/SharpAdvice061301final.pdf
This is the sort of stuff a basic chainsaw course should teach you, so it wont matter if you study these first anyway.
The first is the basic safety guide that comes with a new Stihl saw, has good info on how to avoid killing yourself and making basic felling cuts. The 2nd is another brochure on chain sharpening.  It wont matter what saw you have, if the chain is dull, it wont work  ::)

The 011AV is only a baby saw, probably has a 14" bar, but will rip up a 9" trees easy enough... if it's got a good sharp chain that is.

Good luck and be carefull out there

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kevin

You can contact Tim Ard to see what he has going on.

http://www.forestapps.com/instruct.html

Douglas Dent has a good book on timber felling and Gerald Beranek has one also.

Frickman

Tim Ard is a good instructor. I took my Game of Logging course with him about ten years ago. He does alot of work with beginning chainsaw operators as well as experienced pros. Douglas Dent has a good book too, although alot of it is geared toward big timber out west.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

incognitive

The Dent book has some good information for those who already have familiarity with the topic and a good ability to understand fairly poor writing.

Tom

Have you taken our course?

It is offered by our sister site www.timberbuyers.net

A link is at the bottom  of the page, along with other sites who are friends of the forum.

http://www.timberbuyer.net/chainsaws/start.htm

It pays to visit these "Friends of the Forum" sites every once in a while.  :)

incognitive

How come the "Download Carl's Chain Saw Safety Course" link is still on that page?  In the year, maybe two, I've known about it the link has never worked.

Tom

That's a good question.  I never noticed that it didn't work. :)

I'll ask. :)

Jeff

I didnt know it didnt work either. No big deal, its all on there in the links above it. Not sure what happened to the complete zip file. It may have inadvertantly been deleted or removed a long time ago. The zip file was simply all the webpages.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I also have some leaflets on my page (under Health and Safety) in addition to the sources here on the forum. Its a subject that isn't really specific to any country, except the WCB regulations will vary. Alot of times the chainsaw shop has a saftey leaflet from the manufacturer. I'm sure it won't be difficult to find lots of info on the subject. We have a  Styhl rep from Quebec who puts on a safety, felling and maintenance course twice a year at our local woodlot association. Micheal Papineau I believe his name is, and he's good. He also does a thinning saw course here. He's a busy man. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

BlaBla

I'm going to read the Timberbuyers.net safety section and the .pdf Stihl manual posted earlier. After buying equipment for safety, should I have had the access to the resources that will make me competent at using a chainsaw, or is there something more I can do.

Would the 011 AV be a good beginner saw? I also have a ?037? AV Stihl and an electric Stihl. Which would be the best to begin with?  They're older saws(all saw made in West Germany) I plan to equip my saw with a new anti kickback chain. Do these older saws have less safety features? Anything to be concerned of?

Thanks

incognitive

Having the ZIP file of all the pages/images is nice for those who have to dial up a connection to the Internet.  The information can be reviewed much faster than establishing a connection and then waiting for the data.  It's invariably faster off the hard drive than over the network whatever the connectivity.

It's not too big a deal to fetch a complete copy for offline perusal, but the presence of a non-functional link is always cause for concern.

Ianab

Of course the best safety aid is your brain.
Learn what can go wrong and watch for it every time

Deadman hanging in trees overhead
Rotten trees not falling as expected
Trees splitting and barber chairing
Limbs under compression when de-limbing
Logs moving as you de-limb or buck them

Or something that you might not expect...not sure how to predict / plan for that  ???

Just make a point of thinking every time you start your saw, sometime it's easy, and other times it's worth the 5 mins to walk around and check some angles and fall paths. Or plan how you are going to buck a log. You get the idea...

Ohh... and if you have 2 saws, take em both with you. One day you are going to pinch a saw and need something to cut it free with.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

When bucking, be aware that the end of the bar of the saw can give you a big kick-back. Work at bucking with the proper stance with feet apart. Its best to have your wood yarded onto skids and spread out, not in a big heap. Don't want a bunch of logs rolling off the pile onto yourself. Don't forget your Logrite cant hook or peavy to seperate the logs. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dancan

dancan

one other source of info is available from most chainsaw manufacturers.pick several , go to their sites , pick any saw and download the owners manuals.
read the saftey sections and compare or gather the info that is of value.just rember that when you are cutting being complacent , in a hurry or tired can get you hurt.

dancan

Gypo Logger

I sold a Stihl 009L to a friend of mine who is also my nextdoor neighbour.
  Anywho, I caught him yesterday cutting some firewood. I mean, it wasn't any of my business so I didn't give him any big brother safety advice. Should I have?
John

Jeff

Well, I actually think somebody's leg is being pulled. I have been around wheelchairs and people in wheel chairs quite a bit.  Looks to me like thats the first time outside for that particular chair, at least off of pavement. (see dirty drive, ultra clean tires) Looks like you also happened to catch him at the very first of his cuts seeing is there is no sawdust other then that cut.

Gypo Logger

Hi Jeff,
   Gord will be angry when I tell him you don't think he's for real.
Gord fell off a wall and landed on a skid of bricks and is paralized from the waste down.
He is very active and drives, atv's and cycles as well. The wheelchair you see is always in his driveway as this is what he uses mainly to get him in and out of his van and on to his bicycle which is like a recumbent but he pedals it with his hands.
Gord is very active in sports and has fathered two children since his accident.
John

caryr

Nice shot John, but you forgot the curly fries on Gord's lap and the wheelchair. Remember it's all about the details.

I hope all is going well up in the frozen north.

Take care,

Cary

Jeff

Then you have answered your own question. YES you should say something. Better yet, help !

Gypo Logger

Hi Cary, I know I have spun a few yarns in my time, but this one is for real, honest.
  If you look close you can see the chain turning. I took several others but saved only the most dangerous looking one. Gord did not know he was being photgraphed and it was cold out, hence the hood.

I will take mort pictures and a video so you know this isn't BS. Anyway, here's a scan of the pic. Gord wanted a copy.
You bunch of "Doubting Thomas's" . (I typed lol instead of using a Forestry Forum smiley, whats wrong with me?) Remember fact is stranger than fiction.
John

leweee

John..... I thought that was you in Dis...Guy's wheelchair. Like first day out of the hospital after the cardiac malfunction. :o ::) :D :D.  Take care ya hear. :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Chris J

The Stihl 011 is a bit dated, but at 2.5 HP that saw will really move a 14" loop of chain.  Keep your chains sharp, & have a back-up.  Husky has some pretty good chainsaw use instructions on their website.

John--I don't see any wood chips in that photo???

Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

maple flats

For heaven's sake stop him. Somehow you could design a clamp to hold the wood so at least he can use 2 hands on the saw. NEVER cut with one hand and never use your hand to hold a piece being cut. Gord most likely wants to do all he can, but you did say he fathered 2 kids, THEY NEED THEIR DAD. Stop him and assist in improving the safety of what he wants to do. We would all be really hurt and saddened to hear he had a second accident and could no longer do anything for himself.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!