The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Woodmizer alternator issues  (Read 5880 times)

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • LT70-Cooks AC-36 edger-boom truck-oliver crawler
    • Share Post
    • Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
Re: Woodmizer alternator issues
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 10:57:59 PM »
Shortly after buying the mill I added a ground wire from alternator to ground in main box near the battery, also added an aditional positive lead to the battery. This summer I had another alternator go out (fried all components same as last one) had the battery tested and it fell flat on its face. Brass ground was gummed up with ATF and Pine Pitch, so we completed the circit by running a wire from the ground stud in the lower box thru the Agiss track and grounded to the frame.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2016, 09:13:19 AM »
Bumping this thread since I seem to be having alternator issues after just 50 hrs of operation.

Mill quit on me 4 hrs into milling on Saturday (not happy) and after testing it appears to be the alternator.  I'm recharging the battery (it was up to 12.3v last night) which had dropped to 10.9v when the mill quit and will do some testing this afternoon after I call WM (and try not to yell since the mill does only have 50hrs on it)....

I'll report back
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2016, 09:28:20 AM »
Getting home from out of town tonight, and will work on the mill tomorrow and see if I can find a short somewhere. I am running the 105A alternator. Keeping a spare on hand sounds like an excellent idea. I should see if I can find one in a wrecking yard with the right clocking and rebuild it as a spare.

I don't think there has been an alternator light working on this mill since I bought it used over ten years ago. I have the light that shows that the key is on, but the other one never has worked. I did have to replace the alternator plug a few years back, and I think I left the wire to the light un connected and taped up, since the light didn't work. I'll sort through that again, too, and see what I can find.

I used to do this nearly full time, but in the past few years don't work it that often anymore, and it always seems like I need a battery, maybe an alternator, and probably another $100 thrown at it every time I have to take it on the road. Which makes me want to do that even less, of course...  :-\
I am no expert on Electrical, but I can tell you that alternator light is imperative to the running and charging of the mill. That is the 1st thing I look for when I have an electrical problem, and believe me I have electrical problems. I know now how to use a meter 8) . Get that light fixed 1st.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 10:21:50 AM »
IF no changes since 2007 on the woodmizer mills LT40 and lower;

The alternator is a Delco Remy CS130. You can pick one up at any good wreaking yard and swap your front cover with the one on your current alternator and set your clock position as required on reassembly. Quite a few car/pickups have a 1/4 inch smaller pulley on them IF its a single V groove pulley. I think it has to be pre 92 to have that pulley. The spare I have in my parts box is off of an 89 Chev 4x4 The one on the mill at the moment is off of a 90 GMC 1500 4X4. That spare has been in the box for 3 years since I did all the mods to fix the cooling issues. No problems since. I did install a new battery yesterday which is the 3rd battery since new in 2007 so 2 batteries in 9 years is pretty good id say.   

COOLING is the number one issue to deal with and the BELT is the first step in that process. The pulley, I would say is the second.

There are links above that will take you to a site that supplies an "iceberg" cooling back cover and every other part you could ever need to repair most alternators.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2016, 05:58:46 PM »
Solved my problem.  Alternator is fine, the problem was the exciter wire was disconnected in the control panel....go figure!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Woodmizer alternator

Started by richie47 on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post January 09, 2007, 07:44:02 AM
by richie47
xx
Woodmizer Alternator

Started by barbender on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post August 18, 2020, 09:43:02 PM
by Magicman