The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Cross Tie cutting ideas  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
Re: Cross Tie cutting ideas
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 09:13:14 PM »
I think I counted 7 ties in 3 minutes. That's 140 an hour, gross, not accounting for issues. Like the sawyer needing to have the bolts in his neck adjusted every twenty minutes. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline Ohio_Bill

• Wood is Good
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »
The Manufacture clams 650 in 8 hr shift.    Now all you have to do is get logs.  Unload logs. Move logs.  Move fitches. Edge. Move slabs Move Ties. Load Ties. Hire an Army of people.

Iím sure I left something out.

:D
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor Ė Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Offline stavebuyer

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 05:18:39 AM »
We average 15+ ties an hour on our LT70DCS when we are sawing "tie logs" but we do have the log deck and added external hydraulics. We saw almost all oak and still run about 50/50 tie lumber ratio. If we were more or less 4 siding small gum logs 200 probably wouldn't be a big stretch. We also have the out-feed conveyor but used to use several sets of dead rolls directly in line with the mill that worked just as well for separating ties.

Tie production is about efficiency of log handling rather than sawing speed. Loading the logs, clamping the logs, and turning the logs. A live log deck with a stop-n-loader will pay for itself it short order. By pass the limitations of the power strip either by external hydraulics or a separate 12v power source so you can use the hydraulics at any time. I have been tempted to cut the manual backstops on my mill down to 5"3/4" and just leave them up when cutting ties. Have someone take a little video of your mill running and then time just how much your not sawing.

Offline jclvsall

• Professional Woodsniffer
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 07:06:28 PM »
Stavebuyer that is amazing.  Hats off to you! 

I thank you all for your suggestions.  I am working up a plan considering all that you guys have suggested.  I also took note yesterday that the B20 has predrilled holes that would accomodate moving the log stops, hydraulic toe roller boards and log lifters forward on the mill.  Has anyone with a b20 ever done this?  I think with some simple mods this thing could pump out ties.  With a drag back for lumber and some rollers installed on the front(with the tongue dropped) a push bar could be lowered to push the tie off the front of the mill into a rack.

With all your suggestions, all my years working in the big mills started coming back out of the haze of my memory.  Some simple rollers and chain carriers would do wonders for production!

Right now the things that are slowing me down are the fact that I am only one man!  I am throwing slabs, cant hooking logs, driving the skidsteer to load logs and move slabs and product.  I am stacking lumber and ties.  Scaling logs and tallying lumber.  Greasing, maintainencing, sharpening etc etc etc.   That all is eating into my sawdust making time.  ha ha!!!  All that considered I am still averaging 4 ties an hour.  Not bad in my opinion.

Thanks again for getting my thinking rolling.

Brian

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

Offline Ohio_Bill

• Wood is Good
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 08:02:34 PM »
Brian, I also work alone, the board drag back is a wonderful thing. It is used to bring the slabs back and they are dropped in a slab rack and banded. The rack holds about 10 logs worth of slabs. I donít edge anything while im cutting ties, the fitches and boards are dragged back and stacked on pallets to deal with latter. I place 10 logs in front of the mill at a time. So when im out of logs itís also time to remove the slabs. Every two loads equal a bundle of ties.  If I get 40 a day that is a good day for this senior citizen and his LT 40 supper with remote. 8)

Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor Ė Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Share Post
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 11:05:25 PM »
jclvsall,

I have a 2007 B-20 and have not made any of the modifications you are thinking about.  I would be cautious about adding a board drag back system.  I don't know that the drive system, hydraulic motor, sprockets and chains are sized for that type of duty.  I would certainly check with Timberking before adding something like that.  The setworks does not have an auto up option so that would have to be manual.  Another consideration is that the operator's station is directly in line with the log so dragging a board back would drive it into the operator's controls, hydraulic valve, filter, and engine.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Offline redbeard

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • whidbeysawmill.comwww.whidbeysawmill.com
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 11:28:53 PM »
The holes on the B-20 are for Toe roller and log loader they can move foward. Its for the 10' extension so you can load long logs. If you wanted to mount everything forward you will have to extend hydraulic hoses.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Offline jclvsall

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
Redbeard you are right it will take a few hydraulic hose extensions.  I see you are on Whidby island. I was up in your neck of the woods a couple years back doing a micro hydro-electric course on Guemes island.  It is a ferry ride from Anacortes.   What are you cutting up there? 

Tom the Sawyer, I talked to TK today and they liked my idea.  They even said that I would be able to put a "
push bar" to push the ties off the tongue end with a few extra rollers installed. 

I will be looking into making this B20 into a tie machine next week.  My hopes are to move everything forward like I said now that TK gave me the engineer's go ahead.  I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again Brian
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 08:25:43 PM »
Redbeard you are right it will take a few hydraulic hose extensions.  I see you are on Whidby island. I was up in your neck of the woods a couple years back doing a micro hydro-electric course on Guemes island.  It is a ferry ride from Anacortes.   What are you cutting up there? 

Tom the Sawyer, I talked to TK today and they liked my idea.  They even said that I would be able to put a "
push bar" to push the ties off the tongue end with a few extra rollers installed. 

I will be looking into making this B20 into a tie machine next week.  My hopes are to move everything forward like I said now that TK gave me the engineer's go ahead.  I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again Brian

Were you the instructor or student??   Curious as I work in Federal Compliance for Hydro generation.

DGDrls

Offline jclvsall

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 10:09:09 PM »
Dgdrls,
I was a student. It was an SEI ( http://www.solarenergy.org/ ) course.   I work (my other job) in remote areas of the south pacific and have helped with several microhydro projects.

Brian

Offline etroup10

• Full Member x2
  • NHLA 187th class
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 10:39:20 PM »
This is the idea that I had for cutting ties for a one man bandsaw operation. http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,72429.msg1093287.html

In this setup the log is off the bunks and is clamped in with two rotating end dogs. When the log is rotated the board falls off to the side so there is no need for a board return. For cutting ties I think it would also be easier to plan your cuts. Since you clamp the log in the exact center of the future tie, you know that you need two 3.5" sides and two 4.5" sides from the center of rotation. If you set up the mill to travel up and down the track on its own you could then cut out the tie and edge/resaw the flitches as the mill head travels down the track.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cross country shipping ideas

Started by TexasTimbers on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post March 20, 2005, 11:08:45 PM
by Furby
xx
Cross cutting with a dedicated slabber

Started by JSwigga on Lucas Mill

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 03:46:39 PM
by Seaman