iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does this set look a little, one sided?

Started by pyrocasto, March 16, 2014, 11:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyrocasto

:D That's what happen when I hit a nail in the dead center of a 18" pine, about 2 feet from the base. This is what happens when you let your mill sit neglected for almost a year. This was the last cut in the first log.

In the end I got some BEAUTIFUL pine out of it! Well worth the hassle. Check out that seriously blue stained piece!

End of the day, man does it feel good to make some dust again!

redbeard

Ouch! Never seen that many teeth bent in a row like that. Sure must have been a big nail.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

JustinW_NZ

yes- to much set on one side I suggest you reset and sharpen  ;D

Jw.
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

pyrocasto

Redbeard, and only part is in the picture. That whole ring or about 1/3 of the blade is bent like that. Hit plenty of nails in my time and never seen anything like it.

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brucer

I think that nail had dreams of becoming a side stop :D.

I've noticed that when the nail is straight up and down, I can usually finish the cut. It's the angled nails that do the real damage. Mind you, I've never quite had one that bad :o.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

terrifictimbersllc

Not supposed to look like that, send it back.  :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bandmiller2

It all depends how you hit a nail, perpendicular no big deal but a glancing parallel hit plays hobb. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shelbycharger400

I made my kitchen cabinets out of pine like that.  Secret recipe is to let them sit for bout two years,   Jack n red pine

Chuck White

I've hit lots of nails while sawing, but I haven't gotten that much damage just by hitting a nail or even 3 at the same time!

Where I've gotten the most damage so far has been hitting sheetrock screws, but as I understand it, hitting a ceramic or porcelain insulator will total out a blade almost instantly!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tom the Sawyer

I hit one of two links from a 3/8" chain that was about 3" out from the heart of a pecan log.  Every tooth was 're-set' about 75° left.  Couldn't even back up, had to chisel and chainsaw the slab away to find it - hardly any stain.  The other link was secured with a heavy nail. 

Milling pecan in the rain...

Two slabs later...

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

drobertson

" hardly any stain",  Hickory, and I believe pecan are some of the wood types that have shown me no indication
of metal, pine being another,  not sure why this is,  but it is a pretty sure bet the only way to find it is with a metal detector on these types,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hardtailjohn

I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Thank You Sponsors!