The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: ERC. How thick  (Read 1603 times)

Online xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: ERC. How thick
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 05:13:14 AM »
YH, I pickup cedar like you rig also. I got a load yesterday 4.8 tons. Like not to get the truck stopped at one light that stop me fast. What did you load weigh? Must be 7-8 tons.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »
XLogger,
You are right, it was decent load, but I figure between 6 and 7 tons, the cedar was old and pretty dry.  The trailers a top of the line PJ and rated at 13 ton with dual axle brakes.  With the trucks built in exhaust brake, large 4 wheel disk brakes, and beefy towing capacity, (I sound like a truck commercial  :D .) it stops very quickly and smoothly.  I get my cedar from a guy right down the road, spent more time on the dirt roads than asphalt.  When I'm hauling denser logs, I put on shorter trailer side posts to limit the weight of logs I carry on the open roads. 
YH
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline JamieT

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 01:24:16 PM »
Sorry guys, didn't mean to step on any toes. I have my own cedar, pasture full of giants! But I'm thinkin my prices are about to get bumped up. I cant get the cedar orders filled fast enough.....
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 01:50:47 PM »
Shoot, no toes stepped on that I know of.  I used to sell my cedar for $1 Bdft, then I kept bumping it up until sales gradually slowed and I had a few customers walk away.  Then with the higher prices and still steady sales (but not as fast as at a lower price) I realized I was sawing less and making more money anyway.  As with any product, there is a break even price, supply and demand point, and it took awhile to find it.  Also, around here, cedar sales are very seasonal, so it took me awhile to figure that it wasn't my price impacting sales, it was the time of year. 
Don't forget about the cedar slabs, they sell well this time of year (I have a guy coming over in about an hour to pick up some for 50 cents per Bdft. Its easy money)
YH
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline JamieT

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »
Thanks for the info yellowhammer! I had a lady ask me to give her my slabs, her husband bought 300$ worth of cedar so I gave her a few. Next trip they made she started just loading them up. I told her they aren't free. She got fired up and told me all I was gonna do was burn them. So i opened up my shop and showed her a stool I made . All slab and limbs. On eBay, that same stool was almost 250$! So i informed her she can buy the slabs, and please dont tell me what I'm gonna do with MY wood! Lol, next time they come over I'm gonna have a fire goin!! ;-)
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Offline Farmer Todd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »
Nice looking stuff. Yellowhammer. So much better than the post I have.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
how thick is your firebox. Mine from Central Boiler is not as thick as you think

Started by Mocha2324 on Firewood and Wood Heating

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2016, 11:38:06 AM
by Bert
xx
Red Spruce....thick thick thick

Started by SwampDonkey on General Board

17 Replies
Last post May 15, 2004, 07:42:40 AM
by shopteacher
xx
how thick to cut walnut

Started by gary on Sawmills and Milling

19 Replies
Last post April 15, 2006, 07:13:52 AM
by Max sawdust
xx
Has anyone tried .042 thick blades on a HFE-21?

Started by 21incher on Sawmills and Milling

14 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 11:44:53 AM
by coastlogger