The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: learning to saw  (Read 2844 times)

Offline steamsawyer

• I'm Antique
    • Share Post
Re: learning to saw
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 05:16:27 PM »
Hey edger,

That's what I thought, I just forgot to put one of these,  ":D" at the end of the warranty comment. I was only goofing around.  :laugh:....  If you run a sawmill you will have those setbacks once in a while. I hope your setbacks are never quite so serious and costly as that.

I love those guys at BH Payne. When you deal with them they make you feel like a friend as well as a business associate.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »
Menominee Saw is a great source and ships saws and supplies all over the country and helps any forum member that gives them a call. And to top that, they are a long time supporter of the Forestry Forum and make this place possible. 

Payne has inquired about sponsoring in the past, but never went past that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • LT70-Cooks AC-36 edger-boom truck-oliver crawler
    • Share Post
    • Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 11:29:06 PM »
Well if you are itching to get back in the hot seat after a wreck like that, you got the bug alright.
Working night shift everything humming along when a 24 log missed the end dogging carriage in the hand off from the charger/scanner. As the carriage headed thru the block chippers the log was entering and exiting thru the saw shack, tipping up the sawyers chair that was welded down, and dumping him out the door. He was a seasoned sawyer but it took some time to talk him back into the hot seat.
Sounds like you have a good teacher, and you have the sawdust bug, listen, learn and always put safety first around these mills.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Offline saw man john

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 12:54:52 PM »
can someone make me a cheat sheet, i saw 6x8,7x9 ties,lumber 11/8,11/4,2,and 4x6's

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
Hello saw man john, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Not giving you a short answer and not knowing the accuracy that you require, but you really need to develop you own cheat sheet using your sawmill and the blades that you normally use.

That being said, since I do not have Accuset I had to develop a cheat sheet to give me various "starting points" on the sawmill scale for the different dimensions that I saw.  That way SetWorks will accurately drop down for each cut and the remaining cant/board will be the correct target thickness.  I input the number corresponding to my blade thickness/set, but I have also learned to set up on some of them "dead on" and others to "fudge up/down".  For that reason, my sheet probably would not work for someone else on another sawmill.

Other sawyer's mileage may differ and they may offer other solutions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline saw man john

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 03:05:57 PM »
ok thanks,im running a 60 inch circular saw just dont know how to make chart.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • LT70-Cooks AC-36 edger-boom truck-oliver crawler
    • Share Post
    • Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »
good starting point would be measuring your accual kerf thickness, make a few start cuts in the end of a log keep them fairly shallow (1"-2") and take several measurments. now you have the distance between boards.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 05:17:17 PM »
Your question and my response is why adding your sawmill information to your profile is so useful.  The experienced sawyers can address the question as it pertains to that particular sawmill.  My response was of absolutely no value to you.  Adding your location also helps.   :)

edit:  In re-reading, this sounded critical which was not my intent.  I was just pointing out the value of your profile information to others as they attempt to respond to questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline saw man john

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
I just needed a chart on 8/4 lumber,,i got 4/4 and ties down pretty good I start at 11 1/4 down to 7 ,were fixing to start cutting cypress logs into 2 1/8 inch we don't cut a lot of  8/4 

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »
If you are going to be a sawyer, you really need to get this stuff in your head. Every log is different, so your cuts will need to be determined on the fly. If you use a cheat sheet because you are cutting 8/4 are you going to through the lesser dimensions away on the outside of your log? You will if you depend on a cheat sheet. You need to learn how to add and subtract those fractions on the fly. Plus add your kerfs in there as well.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
A new learning

Started by whittle1 on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2016, 10:29:28 AM
by whittle1
xx
learning

Started by coxy on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 09:08:50 PM
by snowstorm