iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

red pine market

Started by lynde37avery, April 14, 2014, 11:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan D

I've sold small amount to a local wharf builder in the past. He pays $2 per linear foot and takes them down to a 9" top. Not a reliable market but it's nice to be able to get rid of them when I can. There are a few other small mills that buy it for pallets and landscape materials.

barbender

Red Pine is one of the few good markets we have in northern MN, mainly due to the Potlatch stud mill in Bemidji. They are almost always hungry for Red Pine. There's also a few smaller mills that saw 10-20' logs (Potlatch is mainly 8'). Pine pulp is always a challenge to get rid of for small producers.
Too many irons in the fire

lynde37avery

yea some cabin stock suppliers that also do the large 24+'' poles. still trying to figure it all out. thanks guys. the stories are helping lol. i got plenty of phones calls im on right now for mills to hopefully buy my logs.
Detroit WHAT?

Gary_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 17, 2014, 04:49:51 AM
I hate porcupines.  ;D

It's not nice to have one of them quill dogs up above your head or even at face level with a brush saw in your hands. They get kinda mad and snarly. ;D

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to thin out his quills.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

I have eaten porcupine once, there is a reason it is considered "survival food" :) It tastes like chicken seasoned with the nasty sweet pungent odor of porky. :-X I won't repeat that experiment again unless I am actually starving.

snowstorm

when i was a kid there was a bounty on them.$.50   hit they in the nose with a stick big one it puts there lights out

barbender

I usually don't bug them unless they are getting too close to the house, I don't want the dogs getting a snout full. When I was a kid I used to pull the quills our dogs would get stuck with, the last time it happened it was to my bird dog. That big pansy wouldn't let me pull them and I ended up having to bring him to the vet. That was around $300 :(  Sometimes I stop and think about some of the vet bills, $300 here, $1000 there, when I was growing up we had mutts and strays, we were poor and we NEVER brought anything to the vet. It just got better or died, but then we lived right on a highway and nothing  lived long enough to getake sick. There was a lot more trucking on the road back then, it was tough on stray dogs. Different times.

luvmexfood

As said by barbender vet bills are expensive. We used to have an old semi-retired vet in our town. Highest bill I ever paid him was $10.00. Had him put three stiches in a dog one time and he charged me $3.00.

Took a poodle up to him one time that had been run over by a big mid seventys Pontiac Bonneville. Dog was not hurt but she bit the crap out of one of my fingers in getting her. Showed him my hand and he immediately started putting vet medicine on it and treating it. Have seen him go back and get animal medicine (antibotic pills) and take them his self. He has passed away now. Heck of a good person.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!