iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Falling Direction ?

Started by Robert11, April 20, 2014, 02:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

AS is the Arborist Site some good info on there, but quite a different culture/atmosphere (which is why I don't spend much time there anymore).

And yes, "flaming" is a very common internet term. Basically, verbally "jumping all over someone" or insulting them because you happen to disagree with their opinion, or because they dared to disagree with you. A habitual flamer, or one who comments merely to try to stir things up and incite a flame war is known as a "troll"

Wikipedia: Flaming is a hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users, often involving the use of profanity...  It is frequently the result of the discussion of heated real-world issues such as politics, religion, and philosophy, or of issues that polarize sub-populations, but can also be provoked by seemingly trivial differences.

Deliberate flaming, as opposed to flaming as a result of emotional discussions, is carried out by individuals known as flamers, who are specifically motivated to incite flaming. These users specialize in flaming and target specific aspects of a controversial conversation.

Urban Dictionary: Flaming: An online argument that becomes nasty or derisive, where insulting a party to the discussion takes precedence over the objective merits of one side or another.

Fortunately, not much of that goes on here, thanks to the tone Jeff and the other admins set.  When it does happen, it's squelched pretty quickly.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SawyerBrown

You know, the dynamic of this whole discussion has been very interesting to me.  I hope no one gets offended or put off when someone says "I'm an engineer" or "I'm a lawyer" or "I'm a doctor" or "I'm a logger / sawyer / arborist / etc etc etc".  Most times I think it just helps folks understand where the writer is coming from and what their background is.  The original question was posed for a hypothetical situation, which engineers do a lot of.  When you add in the real world conditions and extensive experience by some folks here on the Forum, it combines the best of both worlds into a better understanding of what really happens (in this case, what happens when you start messing with the balance of a pretty big, top-heavy object with lots of springy branches!), and (most importantly for engineers), why.  I, for one, thought it was a very interesting discussion, and I wasn't offended one bit by any of it.  (Probably because I also wasn't familiar with "flaming" ....  ::), and I'm used to being teased about being an engineer!  :D)
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

SquareG

I apologize for my part in this thread.  A guy feels he is defending himself, when actually he's roasting people as bad as anyone else.

Engineer

"I'm an engineer".  Hey that's a good way to start.  Heh-heh.  Read this whole thread through to the end so far.  OP makes a good point but he is a troll. 

I am a professional licensed (civil) engineer in 2 states and have been falling trees for various reasons (mostly firewood and saw timber) since I was 13.  Have been 'informally' trained up to GOL Level 4 by a former instructor, don't have a piece of paper that says I am trained but I know enough to do the right thing most of the time, I guess.  You can study physics all you want but there is no substitute for experience.  Every tree is different and I have only had maybe a half dozen trees (mostly white pines) that decided to stand right up and refuse to fall when notched and back-cut properly.  All it has taken is a good push by hand and over they go.  I always keep wedges nearby but don't always use them.  Most of the time I use a "conventional" notch about 30% of the way in, if it's a tree that has a good lean to it or it's a good sawlog I will bore cut it and cut the holding strap last.  Don't much care for big tearout or barber chairs.  If it's a small tree (10" or less) it's not worth messing with wedges or bore cutting.  For a really nice sawlog I will sometimes but rarely cut a Humbolt notch but that's the OCD in me coming out.  No need for that on small eastern hardwoods most of the time.

I like to see threads like this as long as they don't turn into a pissing contest and get nasty.  Always good for discussion and sometimes you learn something. 

By the way Stihl vs. Husky?  Neither.  Dolmar!  LOL.

DeerMeadowFarm

Wow. Well, I am an engineer by night school, a draftsman by trade, and a manager of an engineering department by being at the same place for 23 years and moving up through the ranks. I've cut down hundreds of trees since the "oil crunch" of the 70's when I was a kid and my parents went back to wood for heat. I've taken the first GOL training and learned a lot. I will tell you this: I am a little afraid with every tree I drop. I'm not an expert. I think I have some pretty good experience, and I think I have some technical knowledge, but I always respect nature. I've had trees that did things I hadn't planned on. I think maybe some of them may have surprised some tree guys as well. I try to learn here, from observing experts, formal training, and by continuing my experience hands on to be better.

thecfarm

Being afraid means you respect the danger that is at hand.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BEEMERS

Couldn't be put any better thecfarm.

SawyerBrown

Fear is good.  Being overconfident (and thus careless) is bad.  Same can said about many, many jobs involving heavy, sharp, moving, pinching, ....

Y'all be careful out there!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!