iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Fawns

Started by Ron Scott, June 08, 2014, 09:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

About 4:00 pm today I heard Sampson bark one time outside so I went out to check and I thought he was walking outside the fence and I checked to see if I had left the gate open. It was closed  so I looked again and realized there were spots. It was a fawn. He walked the along the outside of our chain link yard fence. He walked 3 complete sides then reversed his course and came back while Becky and I took pictures of him. He walked up to the pasture fence and instead of walking under or through the gate he turned again and and followed the pasture fence then walked through a cross fence between the yard and pasture fence where I fenced off a bog. He entered the bog area and appeared to bed down in a willow thicket. An hour or so later I walked out and looked but could not see him bedded down there so maybe he walked through the pasture fence into some real thick grass. This morning while I took a load of wood products to a local flea market Becky had seen a couple of yearlings in and around that same area so maybe one of them was the mom or older siblings. I saw the horse and mule up in the pasture not far away. I don't know if they spooked him or if he is just a disobedient child not staying where Mom parked him. I hope he learns quick or he will be lunch for something.

Walking along the fence in the front yard.

Reversed and retracing his steps back.

Just one more reason to live in WV! 8)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Weekend_Sawyer

Last weekend we saw the smallest fawn I have ever seen. I think it was just a couple of hours old.

Mother nature is pretty awesome.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

I'll trade you a fawn for a family of coons in the barn flu. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

Donkey,  

You better sweeten the deal (A lot!) before I will make that trade. :D

Weekend,

We are speculating this is the same fawn we saw last Thursday night. Becky had put up some fish and took the trash out because of some fish trimmings and came in and said we had a fawn and speculated the doe had just had it. I shined the light and saw it at a gate in the pasture cross fence about 20 yards from the bog where it bedded down. We may have the makings of a yard fawn this summer.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

s'all I got besides an agitated sciatic nerve. :D Although. I did see a ruffed grouse down by the garden yesterday. Good eaten they is. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

I saw a young fawn a few weeks ago while driving out my driveway.  When I got about 10' away the fawn laid down and put its legs over its head.

I leave a patch of grass un-mowed so the does can hide the fawns there.  Got 3 does that call it home.  A few days ago I was out for a walk and saw them going crazy.  They were snorting, wheezing, and one was jumping straight up in the air as high as she could.

I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw this guy strolling around.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

Larry,

Real neat picture. I don't blame the bobcat for trying to catch a fawn for lunch but I am not going to make it easy one him. I don't know if a doe would attack a bobcat getting too close to her fawn. I've heard of them sending neighborhood dogs packing. 

We went out in the pasture 2 years ago looking for fawns where the does normally park them and found a pile of young turkey feathers where I figure a hawk ate him as the head was still there and the skeleton was pretty much intact and then on the way back on my ATV we found the front half of a fawn in the trail. I don't know what ate the back half - coyote, bear, bobcat, dog, etc. 
Howard Green

samandothers

Was bush hogging some fields this weekend and noticed a lot of places where fawns had needed.  I dropped the grapple low on the front end loader to act as a 'cow' catcher.  Better find it that way than by the bush hog.

WV Sawmiller

He's back! I had sent his picture to a friend in Tuscon and was answering her reply and looked out and he was about 10' from where I last saw him. He crawled through that ragged cross fence then could not get back. It is drizzling rain and he'd shake like a dog every few minutes. Finally he gave up and circled the yard fence again and disappeared along the creek in front of the house or woods behind the house. I sent updated pictures to Arizona. Looks like we may get to watch him grow up if he survives.

Howard Green

Peter Drouin

Give him a little whole corn out there. That will stop the shakes. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

???  How will that help Pete? He's just wet and shaking it off like a dag. I always love to watch them scratch their ear with a back hoof too.
Howard Green

Peter Drouin

You should know corn is energy for all aminals, Suger and starch. carbs. With that, all aminals have an easier time.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

I think that is a northern thing. I'll just feed my fawn a batch of leftover grits (If there are ever any left overs) which are just highly processed miracle food and that should give her all the energy she needs. :D

I just went to town and a mile town the road I had to stop for an old doe with a set of twin fawns. Really neat and first twins I have seen this year.
Howard Green

SwampDonkey

I never see any fawns here in the yard. Mostly what come by are the does at night. Big open fields around here and small patches of woods. Never was many deer even 50 years ago in this area. They migrate out in winter and go a little south of here. You won't see any deer tracks here in the winter. In Grafton, south of here, we seen fawns. Woods down there are right up to the houses and no big fields on that side of the river. Where I'm at the only trees the old homesteaders planted was apples and maples. They never planted shade trees up around the houses until later generations. You see these big old square farm houses bare to the winds. :D

WDH

A yard fawn is better than a porch coon.

My Porch Coon in The Outdoor Board
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

I haven't seen any fawns this spring .I don't have a porch coon but I have Rocky I've been feeding since he was an orphaned kit .He's a big old 20 plus pound boar now .By his size he has to be boss coon .I've got Chuck too .
Chuck is a big male groundhog that also showed up as a kit and build his abode under one of my sheds and now is the size of a beaver .He must have vacated because of all the rain because water was running under that shed this spring  .

WV Sawmiller

I called the horse and mule yesterday so I could feed and lock them in their stalls and leave the gates open to take some lumber in with my little JD750. They came busting through the weeds just above my gate and nearly stepped on a parked fawn which jumped up and ran 25 feet into a stand of buckeyes, stopped, stood a minute then ran off up the hill to a stand of overaged Norway spruce. The horse and mule paid no attention to him but sure spooked him.
Howard Green

Texas Ranger

Neighbor brought her twins by to visit.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WV Sawmiller

I picked up my Amish farrier to give my mule a pedicure this morning then took him to hand him off to his next customer about 5-6 miles away. On the way we spotted a doe and fawn in the road. The doe hopped the fence while the fawn ran the pavement for 50-60 yards then turned and ran into a field fence a couple times. I went ahead and passed him and in the rear view mirror I watched him turn around, cross the road and head back towards the creek. I assume the doe hopped the fence and came back to him. It is not hard to catch them like that - like chasing a chicken into a fence. I did not bother this one intentionally and he was unharmed even if somewhat frightened.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

My wife looked out the front door and told me we had a deer by the fence. i grabbed my camera and took these pix as an old doe and twin fawns walked past the truck and up the hill to the pasture.

We had a big Allanthus, commonly known as a stink tree because of its foul odor, fell in the pasture just behind my back yard fence. The deer have been swarming around it and ate most of the leaves which really surprised me as I would not have thought they would eat it.

Howard Green

thecfarm

Looks like they are all legs!! Nice pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

rubberfish

At this young age they're still kind of cute.
In a little while they're gonna be delicious.  food3
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Texas Ranger

I made a mistake one year and killed a yearling just out of spots.  Tagged it and took it to the house.  Just like veal.  The mistake was it was standing in Johnson grass at the edge of the right of way, where it had been mowed, and just about 15 minutes of shooting left.  I glassed it out and saw the Johnson grass up to its belly, checked it out and thought, young doe, could not see spots.  Dropped it, walked up, saw some spots, strapped its feet together and threw it over my shoulder and walked out to the truck.  Maybe 30 pounds of meat boned out, but good.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Chuck White

I've always though that "they all look the same in a vacuum bag"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!