iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Fawns

Started by Ron Scott, June 08, 2014, 09:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

They have been around for a while. Sometimes hard to get a pic when not using a game camera. :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

warren46

Today I was picking up a load of logs that had been removed to make room for a new house in an established subdivision when I saw a doe cross the road followed by a fawn and then another fawn and then another fawn and finally a fourth fawn.  She stopped in the front yard of a house about 40 feet from the road.  She stood and watched me as all four fawns nursed. I did not know that doe ever had a litter.

The second doe in the picture also had a fawn with her but that fawn was larger and a little camera shy.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

thecfarm

warren that is a real nice picture.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Maybe they are hers but does will readily adopt orphan fawns which could be the case there.  Nice picture anyway.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Been a cloudy drizzly day and the deer have been out big time. Went to town and back and saw 10 fawns and about that many does in different groups. First group was 3 with a doe. Not sure if it was triplets or other doe(s) in the area we just didn't see. On way back one group of three but obviously one was smaller than the other two. Of course if it was triplets often one is much smaller than the other.

My wife got pictures and a good one of a young rabbit on the way back. I stopped at my sons place and picked half gallon of blackberries. Just getting ripe here. Will likely go pick 2-3 gallons next week when more are ripe.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

deadfall

I went out this morning and loudly flopped a couple of cants over on the deck from the tractor forks.  I shut off the tractor and just sat there in the warm sun for a minute, pulling a few breaths.  Then I looked beyond the sawdust pile and a fawn was standing in the tall grass and another one comfortable on the ground.  I started talking to them and the standing one laid down too, but out of sight in the grass.  I talked to them for a bit and went to the cabin for my camera.  I eventually moved around the mill too much and they got up and went up the slope.  I decided to go for lunch, and when I got back, they were both back at the mill again, in their same places. 

Those two cants are still sitting on the mill.  Decided to stack and sticker instead after lunch, because that was in the shade and I had the neighbor lady there to help me.  We checked in on the two fawns when we called it quits after five and they were right there by the mill.  I have some chipmunks who visit me there too.

W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

beenthere

Neat!
Are they the blacktail deer?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

The first pic reminds me of a game Jeff likes to play called 'can you see what I'm looking at,'   (or something like that).  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

deadfall

Yes, they are black tails.  It's what we have here in the hills.  There are white tails down in the flatlands of the Columbia River just a few miles away.  We have deer by the dozens here, pretty much tame.  It's deer heaven.    We like to treat our combined 45 acres as a wildlife sanctuary.  This, however, is not including a welcome to the raccoons, as we like our chickens to have a peaceful life too. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Magicman

Those fawns know whose sawmill that is.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Quote from: warren46 on July 14, 2015, 08:58:47 PM
Today I was picking up a load of logs that had been removed to make room for a new house in an established subdivision when I saw a doe cross the road followed by a fawn and then another fawn and then another fawn and finally a fourth fawn.  She stopped in the front yard of a house about 40 feet from the road.  She stood and watched me as all four fawns nursed. I did not know that doe ever had a litter.

The second doe in the picture also had a fawn with her but that fawn was larger and a little camera shy.
Great picture, Warren! :)
I've never seen quads, only triplets once every few years.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Larry

This morning I walked by the window and saw three bucks running around in a circle as fast as they could.  I had to find out what was causing this peculiar behavior.  As it turned out there was a fawn that was running around the bucks really fast.  Soon the bucks would join in the game.  After running a bit all the players would stop for a bit.  I watched the game for 15 minutes before they all wandered off to the woods.

I looked around for mom and she was peacefully grazing on the side lines.  I suppose she wanted to make sure it remained a silly game and no harm came to her baby.

Crazy deer.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

clww

Yesterday, we had a small spotted fawn come running as fast as it could through the job site. Jumped one silt fence, crossed a fairly busy road, jumped  the second silt fence, almost ran into two of us, jumped a third silt fence, and bolted into a small patch of trees. Don't know where momma was or what frightened it to start with, but I think it was safer where the little guy started instead of running across the road where we were working.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sandhills

Larry that reminds me of our calves after they're about a couple weeks old, they love tormenting their elders  :D.

WV Sawmiller

Sampson (Rat terrier) woke me up at 0230 this morning so I got up and checked on the truck, mill and tools I had loaded and connected for a job today. Nobody around it so went back in the house. Sampson resumed so I went out with light and checked the pasture about 60-70 yards from the house. Old doe was there with 3 fawns who were running and jumping and having a ball. Didn't see but one doe so may be triplets. Anyway the finally went in the woodline and Sampson calmed down. He's a pretty alert guard dog. Hope the fawns let him (and me) sleep tonight.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ron Scott

~Ron

beenthere

Great cam pics... much better than my Primos

Here is a previous-fawn grown up, taken last night.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ron Scott

~Ron

Peter Drouin

You must be feeding them good to have 3 like that Ron. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

I had two now only one. :(
But IF I can help it, I will.  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WV Sawmiller

This fawn and sometimes 2 others have been hanging out in a hay field above my place en route to my son's place. We see them most trips out that way. Yesterday as we came by Mama doe came out and he/she ran over to get a snack. Is neat to watch them nursing and tail wagging 90 miles an hour at same time.
Howard Green

Magicman

That is a nice picture.   :)

Ron Scott

~Ron

WV Sawmiller

Spooked this one out of the bushes in the pasture this morning on my 4 wheeler. It ran and hid by a tree in the stickweeds (asters) I haven't cut or sprayed yet so I went and got my photographer wife. We went back and she got these.

This is where he was hiding. It finally spooked again and I followed it around the fenceline a while till she could get more pictures.

It has already started to lose some spots. They are pretty good size for their age this year.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!