iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4 Sided Planer

Started by ddcuning, June 09, 2014, 09:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birchwood Logging

They are a beast I have one sounds like a airplane taking off when you start it
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

SPD748

I second the motion to see this beast sling chips!!!

All in favor?

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

ddcuning

Of course one thing leads to another. Now I need to find a blower to suck the shavings off of the planer. The fun never ends!

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

kelLOGg

Nice score, Dave! 8)
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

whitepine2

WOW what a whacker of a machine,that should eat up some wood.

Alligator

That's a STEAL! If you had to pay to have it rebuilt it, it would still be a steal. Where are you going to get enough lumber to run it? It will dress about a semi truck load in a 4 hour shift, depending on what you are running thru it.

That's the money machine in a sawmill operation. As long as you just have a sawmill, you can't truly produce a finished product. The planer gives you that.

By the way those attachments for tongue and groove are "side heads". If it came with shiplap side heads there may also be a profiler that gives the dished top side for lap siding that use to be common on older houses. The profiler would be a shaft with flat pully just above the out feed, the guides are seen in the picture.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Alligator

When you get point that you need a fan / blower, look around for old cotton gins. They use the same method to move cotton seed.

scsmith42

Quote from: Finn1903 on June 16, 2014, 03:10:15 PM
great score on finding that old Newman!  I need to come down and see it run, I'll bring my own material  ;)

Quote from: SPD748 on June 16, 2014, 06:29:31 PM
I second the motion to see this beast sling chips!!!

All in favor?

-lee

Works for me!  Sounds like Dave is being nominated to host a FF Get-together!

Dave - better plan on a lot of HP for the dust extraction system.  My moulder is the toughest machine to evac shavings from (and that is with a 25 hp, 50" fan).
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Alligator

When you are packing up the planer, hopefully there will be 2 items that will not be very evident that they are  apart of the planer, but will be real handy when you get to the point of getting ready to run it.
1. a knife gauge - about 4" wide 3" tall and 1/2" thick I have drawn a picture if I can get it to upload.
2. head crank, looks like the old crank to start a model T. used to lock and unlock the bottom head and crank the head out to change knives

ddcuning

Scott, I am all for doing a FF get together at the mill when I get the planer up and running. With my schedule, that may be next year! I think Frank(Seaman) was next on the list for a get together so that will buy me some time. As soon as the planner gets here, I will start working on getting it placed but it may be winter before I do the rebuild. Will just have to see how much I get done on the list at home.

Dave C

Darrel

Correct me if I'm wrong Dave but from what I see, the first head is the top, followed by the 2 side heads that are directly across from each other. In other words, they are not staggered like on most moulders.  Then the bottom head.  The belts running the side heads have a 90 degree twist in them. If they are not tracking correctly adjustment can be a bear.  It does not look to me like there are any profile heads, but not to worry, this can be done on the top and bottom for such things as hollow back.  It also looks like all four heads have 4 knives.  If the heads are jointed, and I'm sure that they are, top speed will be 75 - 100' per min.   And alligator, if there is no hand crank, one can be fabricated quite easily.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

ddcuning

Darrel, you are correct, the first head is the top followed by the two side heads then the bottom. You are also correct that the belts running the side cutters have a 90 degree twist. From what I understand, they are hard to get to track correctly since the are both off of the same drum. There are four knives per head (top, bottom and sides) and the only profile knives I have are the tongue and groove for the side cutters. The literature says the feed rate is adjustable with settings of 30, 55, 75 and 100 feet per minute. Not sure about the head crank. Lots of stuff in boxes with the planer as it has been partially disassembled. I am going to take the catalog info with me and compare the drawings with the machine to make sure I have all of the parts.

Dave C

Darrel

Looking forward to seeing some photos. I'm surer hey will bring back memories.  :P
1992 LT40HD

Darrel

Gotta love auto correct.  >:(
1992 LT40HD

ddcuning

Well, I made the trek yesterday to Virginia and got the Newman 8-B. At 7000 lb we were hard pressed to get it onto the trailer even with a Bobcat but we got it loaded up and brought it back to its homeland of North Carolina. Now the fun begins! I am going to off load it today. I am going to see if I can make enough room in my shop to put it in there so I can get up mornings and work on it since I have all of my tools here. It will be in the way in the woodshop but at least it will be here and easy to work on. I said I was going to put the rebuild off but now that it is hear I want to get working on it. There are two or three broken pieces of the cast iron that I need to have made out of steel as replacements but other than that, it is just replacing bearings, replace one shaft, replace two babbits and putting it back together. Easy....right?

Still on the trailer from the trip, I covered it and left it on the trailer last night.

This is all of the loose stuff that needs to be put back on the planer. Most of it is fine, nothing wrong, it looks like he was just was taking things off to gain more access to the bearings that needed replacement.

I still can't believe I was able to get this beast for $700. It is worth more than that in scrap alone and I can't find any major issues with it. Everything seems to be fine with the planer, no major damage or anything, just needs TLC, some small parts remade and a new home! My wife has already said I should clean it up and paint it like the mill. Wow that would be a lot of work! I am still wondering if I should do it though.

Dave C

xlogger

Dave hurry up and get it going. I need somewhere close by to plane and t&g my cedar boards  ;D. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: ddcuning on June 22, 2014, 06:36:02 AM
... My wife has already said I should clean it up and paint it like the mill. Wow that would be a lot of work! I am still wondering if I should do it though.

Dave C

Do it!

ddcuning

We got the planer off loaded at the mill yesterday and after thinking it over, we are not going to "restore" it and paint it. Too many parts to take off, clean, put back together etc. A restoration process I think would add a year to the time it will take for me to get it operational. As such, we have decided to clean it up, oil it to keep it from rusting and push forward with replacing the bearings and getting it back to operational status. I have also been looking for a sawdust blower for it. Procuring a blower will be the next major challenge. Looking over the planer, I think it is pretty straight forward on what needs to be replaced/repaired.

Dave C

ddcuning

Alligator,
The head crank was with the unit although the side cutters are frozen up. They move a little but not much. I expect since this was a production unit, they set the width once and it was that way the rest of its life. Looks like it ran some pretty narrow stuff based on where the vertical cutters are now currently set. No knife gauge came with it, however, I do have the alignment procedures from Newman.

Dave C

Don_Papenburg

You might want to check out the farm sales in your area .  A forage blower used to fill a silo would move a lot of wood chips .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Darrel

Heck, you could even fill a silo.
1992 LT40HD

trim4u2nv

We have cleaned up several 4 head mattisons in similar condition.  I use a wire brush on the slides and a razor blade to polish up the dovetails.  Brass brushes on the acme screws.  Soak everything that moves in atf/acetone mix and move daily until it breaks free.  Probably need a 20 HP blower to keep chips clear.  Those top and bottom heads could be converted to round safety heads fairly cheap these days with used tooling.

lyle niemi

Quote from: ddcuning on June 23, 2014, 09:51:34 AM
We got the planer off loaded at the mill yesterday and after thinking it over, we are not going to "restore" it and paint it. Too many parts to take off, clean, put back together etc. A restoration process I think would add a year to the time it will take for me to get it operational. As such, we have decided to clean it up, oil it to keep it from rusting and push forward with replacing the bearings and getting it back to operational status. I have also been looking for a sawdust blower for it. Procuring a blower will be the next major challenge. Looking over the planer, I think it is pretty straight forward on what needs to be replaced/repaired.

Dave C
I just had an actual planer man come look at my planer, he showed me a lot of stuff that would of taken me many hours to figure out on my own

ddcuning

So Lyle are you going to share the tips or keep us guessing? ;D

Dave C

Darrel

Does your planer have anything that looks like the pictures below?  If it doesn't, it should, and you will be disappointed in the quality of the work it does.

What I am referring to is the jointer?  It is more obvious in the image of the top head.  it is the machined service above the head with the stone clamp on it.  this slides back and forth while the head is running and the jointing stone just kisses the knives making them all perfectly even.  You use this so that all 4 knives are working, otherwise 1 knife will do most of the work and you won't get any speed out of the feed without having a rippled affect.  If you are using profile heads, you shape the stone to the profile.  (Yes, I'm a planerman.)  And for what ever it may be worth, I'm almost sure that these pictures are of an old Yates American.
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!