iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GM power unit

Started by Possum Creek, July 12, 2014, 09:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain_crunch

Run away Detroit is something that lingers on ur mind fer a bit. Other than that they seem to be bullet proof
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

You hear many run away Detroit stories but I've never heard of one coming apart. A Detroit will ether be good or bad, one that has lost coolant and overheated will be a problem child. After an overhaul or governor work I would always clamp a round jaw vice grip on the rack rod so if I let go it would fall to no fuel. Have someone else crank it but I would have it by the short hairs. Alas the old two cycle Detroits have gone the way of the doo-doo bird, parts once so common and cheap are now a special order. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

stihlsawer

Quote from: StimW on July 13, 2014, 10:24:27 PM
You might check the control panel for an emergency stop.  ??
They also can "Run Away".
I don't remember the exact problem but something about sucking the engine oil from the pan.
The Semi that I drove had a STOP button and an EMERGENCY STOP cable. The cable would block the intake so the engine could not get air to run.
If you google, there are some u-tube videos of run aways that are scary!

They are fun!! Always check your linkage on the fuel rack to make sure it is tight. Check for smooth operation of the rack. Sometimes the ball joint on the linkage gets worn on will fall off causing a runaway. Had a 6-53 Silver gets crazy on me once! Funny thinking back, but not at the time.

Trever
Trever Jones
Stihl 076 Super, 034, MS 260 PRO, MS 192T
Dolmar 116si
GB 44" lumber mill, Mini mill, Beam machine

Thank You Sponsors!