iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bridge Rebuilding

Started by Magicman, July 13, 2014, 04:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Recent rains completely undermined our main creek crossing bridge, so it was work time. 

First we salvaged as much as we could from the old bridge.  Some of the stringers, boards, and nails would be reused to reinforce the smaller bridge, which would now become our only crossing to reach the back side of the Tree Farm.

The new/additional stringers were pulled across before the boards were removed.  This bridge only had 3 stringers

And then the work began resetting the stringers.

Nailing um down.  The bridge is now a couple of feet wider so we alternated the shorter deck boards.

The bridge now has 7 stringers and is 2' wider.  The Chief Overseer is making Her final inspection.   

I have access to a White Oak tree that will be removed soon, so I will have some longer deck boards.   ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

Lynn,
That is a fine job on the bridge for sure! Your crew looks like they have done that before. Is that the first bridge by the old Red Oak?
Looks like Pat approves of the project. Wish I was there to help.    Andy help_me help_me smiley_smash smiley_smash
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Gadrock

And it is nothing like waiting untill it gets warm to do a project like this. Weather forecasts for the last few days has been mid 90's...plus humudity

david G

carry on

LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

drobertson

Looks like a heck of a day of it!  Kinda handy having a mill  isn't  it! 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

Nice looking bridge. Could double as a raft if the water gets to high. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

No Andy, this is the big bridge in the "Straw Field" where we got your Walnut tree.

The limbs from your Walnut tree are under the grass in the background where this guy showed up.  This was one of two that we killed yesterday.  We saw a couple of more that did not offer to "help" us.   :-\  I do not like Cottonmouths.

I have an idea smiley_idea that we will wait until cooler weather before we get you another tree.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

The crew made short work of the job. Looks like one made short work of the snake to.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

drobertson

That there is a bonafide  fatty,  it looks like you handled it the proper way!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

I like the way you folks work, just get it done  :) 

Mooseherder

The Grandkids will remember that day of Bridge building forever.  It's all about the Journey. :)

ozarkgem

How do you keep the stringers from rotting in the ground? The snake looks like it went through a wood chipper.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

aigheadish

@Magicman I pretty well understand that you are much more knowledgeable than me in the world of wood so I have some questions regarding this lovely bridge (and I'm sorry to hear of your washout!).

Regarding your stringers (the bottom logs going across the gap, correct?); are they just logs you had around or anything special? If just logs you had around do you have a good way to determine if they'll hold weight and support the bridge? Do you drive equipment over the bridge? 

I have a 2 acre field on the back side of my property that I like to take my backhoe to occasionally, that has to cross a creek to get to. In the spring the creek can be a couple feet deep but I've dug it out such that it's only a few feet across. Currently, I have three 12"-16" culvert pipes buried under a mound of dirt, rocks, hardened bags of concrete, and bricks. 

That works pretty well until we get a lot of rain (which will likely be worse this year, as a 30 acre field was clear-cut across the street and all the water runs off into this creek). 

I'd like to build something similar to what you've got but I'd like to do it as close to for free as possible, and hope to make it high enough that a lot of water can run under the bridge rather than through and over. Oh, and it needs to be able to withstand about 7-8 tons worth of backhoe. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Magicman

They were utility poles that had been removed for various reasons and were still in new condition.  On this particular bridge we were adding additional stringers to increase the load bearing strength.

Here is the topic when we built the other bridge:  LINK

And since they are continually needed repair it got some redecking here:LINK

And the third bridge gets some reworking here:  LINK

The three bridges are a constant struggle to maintain because of our loose soil and the amount of rainfall/runoff that we get.

aigheadish

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out your other links! 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Sedgehammer

I think you did this infrastructure repair waaaaaayyyyy to early. There's suppose to be 'free' money for such projects soon enough it sounds like....... you coulda got a few million maybe...... ;D
Necessity is the engine of drive

sawguy21

@aigheadish I think you are going to need something a little more substantial than that pole bridge. Maybe square timbers set on rock filled cribs to spread the load and reduce the risk of erosion. The cribs could be made of treated poles. Having the hoe turn turtle in the creek would really ruin your day!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

aigheadish

Thanks @sawguy21 I think I'm in pretty hardy agreement. It's yet another project I'm trying to do for as close to free as possible, but your plan sounds decent and kind of what it is now other than the rocks and heavy junk aren't confined together. What I should really commit to is spending a few hundred bucks on better/bigger culvert pipe and a rebuild of the junk that is currently on top. Then I think I could widen it enough to really have it stand up to the water we get.

Thank You Sponsors!