iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Smith

Started by shawnallen, February 20, 2002, 09:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnallen

I am a recruiter and I never filled a position like this before.  I am looking for an experienced saw-smith for the Wayne/Romulus/ MI area.  I have done many searches and hope that someone who has done this type of work before or anyone who has any advice could please e-mail or call.
(734) 467-5450

Sincerely,
Shawn

Tillaway

Shawn,

If worse comes to worse there are probably several available out west (Oregon, Washington, California, Northern Idaho).

Advertise for a saw filer.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Jeff

Thats what I was wondering. Is a saw smith the same as a saw filer? We are talking about a forest industry job correct? I can imagine where there might be a saw smith title that is unrelated to what we do.

If you have a job discription, I might be able to help as I am from Michigan and sorta kinda involved in the forest products industry. Never heard the term sawsmith though, but then again I live under a tree up north.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

What about the guy that was here a while back that hammers circle blades. What would you call him?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

You will first have to becme an entered apprentice in a shop that does such work.  It takes some time and experience to learn how to hammer a saw blade as well as the numerous tools necessary to keep them alined and tweeked to perfection.  I have a neighbor that worked for 35 years for Willamette Industries in their Millwright Shop that helps many of us in this area.  But the closest real professional in the business is about 20 miles North and has only one assistant that helps keep about 4 large mills going year round, plus us little guys with or chippers and mills.  Those sorts of people are few and far between around my neck of the woods. ;)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!