iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

scared of the woods!

Started by timberlinetree, July 20, 2014, 06:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

got a few chiggers as we speak. Use a good high deet insect repellent around and on you socks and boots and tuck your pant legs in your boot or got some old military blousers and take a shower as soon as you get home. Only a few will get through that.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Alligator

Quote from: terry f on July 20, 2014, 01:17:57 PM
   What are chiggers?

I think they are what we call "Red Bugs"  in the south. A spot of clear fingernail polish on each one will kill them.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Ron Scott

The Meth labs and Pot growers are our biggest problem in the woods and elsewhere.
~Ron

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: terry f on July 21, 2014, 08:20:36 PM
    I've said before, how do you guys in the upper Midwest and Northeast not have Mountain Lions with all the cover and deer you have. Loggers in the West have worked around them for a 150 years, and so far we haven't lost a logger to a Wolf or Lion yet.

Several joggers have been killed by mtn. lions in CA. There have been attacks in AZ. My rancher friend's late father shot one in the face as it was midair jumping him.

I'm betting loggers, with all the noise make poor lunch targets. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Ron Scott on July 22, 2014, 06:20:08 PM
The Meth labs and Pot growers are our biggest problem in the woods and elsewhere.
We dont have a problem with the local growers, and I know enough to stay clear, its the old trailers way out in no where that scare me. I was riding wheeler a few years ago, out on the state on a road 6-7 miles from nowhere and came on some shady individuals, we get "gypsies" every once in a while hiding out on the state. Ive got something "black", high capacity with an acog optic behind the seat of the truck 100% of the time just for that reason. They just busted a bunch of idiots cooking meth in an apartment 250' from the county court house, I have no love for drug addicts.

samandothers

Past in 2 of my last 3 trips to camper in Va. I have seen bears.  First time was near end of June near noon I was on the tractor and saw a large bear as I approached the camper.  This past weekend I saw a pair as I was on the tractor heading toward a ridge above our camper.  It was early afternoon.  Had seen evidence of them around before but not seen them.  Makes me think I need to carry while out and about.  I keep figuring if I am on the tractor they are not likely to approach the big noisy orange thing. 

clww

Guy I work with was on a weekend hike with his wife two weeks ago on the Appalachian Trail just over the border in West VA. They saw eight bears in a one hour period. Two were sows with little cubs.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

enigmaT120

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

At least 20 in North America since 1890.  Want to compare that to something dangerous like bees?

At least I've never found pot grows or anything up in the woods in my area.  Every time I think about those big pot farms on MY (national forest) land in Northern CA, it makes me a little crazy.  We should have a hunting season on those guys.  I don't even care about illegal drugs, I just don't like them trashing public land and threatening legal recreation on the land.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

SwampDonkey

I've been hearing an old owl in the woods at night, pretty scary. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

Out canoeing and slept in a tent on the side of a river and just as I was sleeping good a Saw-whet owl started calling about 20 feet behind my tent, had to yell and scare him away after a while or I never would have got any sleep at all.

terry f

There's not a critter in the woods as scary as the ones walking on two legs.

WDH

The coyotes were yowling last night.  Scares my little beagle puppy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

M_S_S

Quote from: ozarkgem on July 21, 2014, 09:05:22 PM
got a few chiggers as we speak. Use a good high deet insect repellent around and on you socks and boots and tuck your pant legs in your boot or got some old military blousers and take a shower as soon as you get home. Only a few will get through that.
The loins out here don't eat loggers or cowboys, just joggers and bicyclists. Ed
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

Den Socling

When I was a kid, I got chiggers every time I went rabbit hunting. Made me itchy in the privates. Couldn't complain to my mom.  :(

WDH

I found a tick in one of those private nether regions last Sunday  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offthebeatenpath

I had a new experience in the woods today- headed back to my tent on the Maine/NH border where we have a base camp set up for work and it was trashed- poles broken and tent fly ripped to shreds. Moose prints all around it.  The only things in the tent were a book and a sleeping pad...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

SwampDonkey

I've had to drive moose away from my tent area to. They will run into a tent on there way over there to the maple tree with leaves and stems they want.

Saw 3 bulls this week on the woods roads. ;D

Never had a bear touch anything. There's lots of bears to. Moose are as dumb as a hammer, bears are smart. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lmo506

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 20, 2014, 09:47:55 AM
Want nothing to do with them. Deer flies are bad enough, I'm staying north. :D
I'll second that!
I have never pretended to be anything I'm not, except sober, I've pretended to be sober a few times

enigmaT120

Quote from: M_S_S on July 23, 2014, 08:50:14 PM
The loins out here don't eat loggers or cowboys, just joggers and bicyclists. Ed

And I do both of those things up in the woods.  Oh well, cats like salty things.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

timberlinetree

Scary!! (To limb up) would have to put the face screen down on that one! :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

timberlinetree

I think I cut down a relative of the witch tree!

Scary driving into this, thought for sure was going to hit bees and since it's on a hill shifting into low reverse and crawling up the hill while getting stung would not be fun. Got lucky on this one! :)

I even came out with some souvenirs

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

WDH

I have never seen anyone camouflage a skidder  :D.   

Ed_K

I hate wire in a saw  :( hope it didn't tear the clutch apart.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!