The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Hi All Starting Band Mill Build Couple Questions OKAY more than a couple  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Joe Hillmann

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Hi All Starting Band Mill Build Couple Questions OKAY more than a couple
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »
For the carriage, I don't think you need to add any weight to it.  By the time it is all built it will be heavy enough (I assume my carriage weighs about 300-400 lbs, two men can lift it with difficulty).  I would suggest doing what you can to keep the weight as low as you can (height wise)  When mine is raised all the way up just about half the weight of the entire mill (trailer included) is 6 feet off the ground and it can get a bit top heavy.  The parts have to be put where they belong  to make it work so you can't do much to keep the weight low (height wise). 

I would recommend going out of your way to make the carriage a rigid as you can.  Mine was originally a two post head with a plan to make it a four post head if necessary.  The two post design flexed quite a bit, on small logs it didn't matter much but on large logs with  a wide cut and the head way up it became a concern.  I changed it to a four post and it helped.  I still plan to add 6 45 degree braces to stiffen it up even more.

My casters are 5 or 6 inch, not really sure,  I don't think size matters much there,  for the way mine is laid out I would have been better with smaller casters to keep the height of the mill shorter.

I am not sure what you mean by using 1/4 steel for the back of the saw head?  If you are talking about the blade guard that is way thicker than necessary, if you are talking about the structural  part that the band wheels and engine mount to, that wouldn't be stiff enough without bracing, I went with box tubing to mount everything to.  It was 1/8" thick and 4"x 4"

Most companies will make the blade any length you want. But they will usually cut them so the teeth are evenly spaced, that means if you have a 7/8 tooth the blade you get may be 3/8" longer or shorter than you asked for.  Most mills have enough adjustment in the tensioner so it doesn't matter.  My mill has no tension adjustment, I have to wedge the blades onto the wheels to get them on so they had to be the exact length (151 1/4") that I asked for. I got blades from three companies and all were able to do what I wanted but I had to specify that I needed them that exact length and the toot spacing at the weld didn't matter.  It also causes a slight issue when sharpening, they have to start sharpening at the weld and at least one tooth and sometimes two teeth don't get sharpened due to the uneven tooth spacing.

Offline biggkidd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Hi All Starting Band Mill Build Couple Questions OKAY more than a couple
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 11:56:25 PM »
Joe

Thank you vary much for answering my questions. Yes mounting the axle stubs to the 1/4" plate it's not mild steel much stiffer I think it's AR. Not sure yet if I'm going two or four post. Two with the 5" channel I'm working with should be quite solid.

Larry
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe
 Building a Band Mill  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Timberking B-20 Band Length and a couple Band Questions

Started by Meadows Miller on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 05:46:22 PM
by ladylake
xx
Band Saw pulley's, DIY and a couple of questions

Started by PuG on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 03:47:51 AM
by PuG
xx
moving the mill inside couple questions?

Started by Husky on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post June 18, 2012, 11:24:36 PM
by hackberry jake
xx
Somewhat new guy with a couple questions.

Started by Jdwoody on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2015, 07:14:00 PM
by Jdwoody