The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: up/down issues with 2001 WM lt40 super  (Read 2362 times)

Offline sparks

• Sponsor
  • Woodmizer Electrical Tech
    • Share Post
Re: up/down issues with 2001 WM lt40 super
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »
The solenoid in the fuse box is for the hydraulics only. It would have no bearing on the up down. The interesting thing you said is that the Accuset screen turns off. That means we are losing power to the front panel. There is a small red wire coming off the plug of the front panel that should go to a circuit breaker. When the screen goes off see if that breaker has power on both sides. If one one side then the breaker is the issue.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 04:48:46 PM »
The solenoid in the fuse box is for the hydraulics only. It would have no bearing on the up down. ...

This is what I meant by "shouldn't cause any problems".   I should have been more clear on that.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 09:16:42 PM »
Needs to be FULL, just some won't get it. WM says use ATF, I use 80W90 gear oil, not recommended in colder climates...
Hello,
The up and down gear box should have 80W90 or 85W/140. It will not last long with ATF.  :o I change most mills during service to the 85/140. The original lube was synthetic gear oil from the Grove gear company. In other applications in a constant run this is great in our application the gear only turns for a few min and we use the resistance to hold the saw head up. So if it is too thin the saw head will drift and cause other issues.
Hope this helps.

Do you have Accuset or Accuset 2?  I would first check the ground stud at the battery, then the ground at the rear of the operator station. I have seen these bolts loose from the factory it did the exact thing.
Just guessing but something to check.

Marty
“A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.” -Winston Churchill

Offline flatrock58

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »
I didn't get home till late today so not much progress.  I tried sanding and oiling them with hydraulic fluid.  Still not working. 

Pineywoods, I will check the gear box oil friday. 

Slider, I will have to see about getting brushes.  The battery seems to be OK I ran it down and ahd to charge it but it is fully charged now.  I think I saw the z fuse in with the solenoid beside the battery box.  There were several attached to the lid.  Which should be used?  I already replaced the battery cable ends.

Dave, I will have to check to see if the solenoid is good and remove the jumper.  Just trying to figure out all the circuits for now.

Sparks, I have been trying to figure out why the 50 amp fuse doesn't trip if I am drawing too much current.  I noticed the motor for the power feed draws 18 amp or more when returning the saw and it does not trip.  The up motor will draw 2 amps for 5-6" then jump to 16-18 amps.  It will stop by itself 2-4 times before it finally trips the 50 amp fuse.  I am not clear what you are refering to here "There is a small red wire coming off the plug of the front panel that should go to a circuit breaker. When the screen goes off see if that breaker has power on both sides. If one one side then the breaker is the issue"

Marty, I have accuset 1.  I will check the ground, but wouldn't I have problems withe the other motors too if it were a ground issue?
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
I had the bearing in my up/down gearbox to fail probably 8 years ago.  (The box was not completely filled and I did not know that it should be.)  The bearing failure caused all sorts of up/down problems before I finally figured out what it must be.  Since I did not know that the box should be completely filled and seeing no way for the open bearings to lube, I replaced the failed open bearings with sealed units and have been good since then.  I replaced the lube with synthetic.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »
When I was looking for my problem I drained the old lube from the gearbox and noticed metal particles.  I then knew that I was on the right trail so I pulled the gearbox and cracked it open.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 09:53:43 PM »
I replaced the lube with synthetic.

I can't use synthetic in my gear box.  >:( I had problems and changed to the 80W - 140.
No problems so far.
If one puts ATF in their gear box….well……please don't.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Offline flatrock58

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »
Talked to Tim in Newnan today.  Found my problem.  The 50 amp breaker was the problem.  Even though it was not tripping it was opening up enough to stop the mill.  Took the 70 amp debarker breaker and swapped it and it works fine now.

Thanks for all the help.  I am sure I will be back asking more questions.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 02:08:42 PM »
Yup, they do go bad and thanks for the report back on the fix.  I had a defective debarker breaker once.  It just would not hold.

Offline flatrock58

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »
Had a good day working on the sawmill today.  Got the up/down working.  Adjusted the blade in all directions.  Adjusted the side supports.  All that is left to do is getting the debarker moving free again.  It has not been used for a while and is frozen.  Should be cutting some logs early next week.

Ran into one problem today  When I tried to take the fill plug out of the up/down gear box it would not come  The plug is plastic and deformed.  Might have to drill it out!
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Offline MartyParsons

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood-Mizer Service and sales PA, VA, MD, WV others
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »
Hello,
The plastic plug is the vent.
M
“A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.” -Winston Churchill

Offline flatrock58

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 10:10:16 PM »
So the fill plug is the lower plug?
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Offline flatrock58

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 10:16:49 PM »
I didn't see a plug on the gearbox in the manual and just assumed the higher plug was the fill plug.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Brand new WM LT40 super wide having issues

Started by Jwswan on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post October 15, 2020, 12:09:37 PM
by alan gage
xx
2001 F250 4x4 diesel super cab for sale

Started by maple flats on For Sale

10 Replies
Last post November 13, 2020, 07:54:26 PM
by forrestM
xx
lt40 super, Super expensive part! lol

Started by geraldhale on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post January 31, 2020, 03:48:18 PM
by Bandmill Bandit
moved
MOVED: How much more super, is the lt40 super?

Started by chet on Sawmills and Milling

0 Replies
Last post March 09, 2015, 11:45:32 AM
by chet