The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Best way to make a Dove Tail  (Read 2314 times)

Offline jimF

• Full Member x2
  • Go for it!
    • Share Post
Re: Best way to make a Dove Tail
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 09:50:21 PM »
Depending on how large of production, you might like to look into a plunge router.  They can hog out lots of volume.  If you create a plywood jig, it could maintain support across such a wide groove and you can go across the 4x4 oneway on one side and the otherway on the other side so that you keep the direction of cut constant.
One question is, will it be only one board per side of bin? If more than one board, the section of dovetail socket on the post between the boards will be weak and tend to split off.

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 10:02:21 PM »
Jim,
I have to pick up and read your book again. It was entertaining and informative. I spend my life with vac kilns so I need to brush up on conventional drying. I wish more here had bought it with the opportunity to discuss it with you, the author.
Sorry I hijacked the thread.
Den

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
  • Trees are good- even ones with stickers
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 09:32:04 AM »
Seems like a lot of work to make a weak joint that people may not be happy with. How about just plowing a dado groove, then just drill the side board ends and posts to match? You could set it up so you could drive in dowels made of rot resistant, but strong wood like black locust or walnut. If you put 2 holes in each sideboard, you could set up a jig where you drill one hole at a drill press, then flip and do the other. Same distance from the edge, easy peasey. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline 5quarter

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Blue Harbor Refinishing
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 12:51:28 AM »
Dewy...another way to do it is to use 2x4s instead and cut 1/2 dovetails on a table saw. set up two saws at the correct depth and angle, one for the face cut and one for the edge cut. Make all your cuts on one and then the other join the 2xs together and you have your sliding dovetail. I have seen some made this way for leaf extension guides for old dining room tables. your stock needs to be dead on straight to ensure a uniform fit. I would run through shorter lengths. That is a strong joint when used in it's intended application (sliding), but not so much when subjected to lateral forces. on the other hand, the final corner piece would be pretty hefty and only needs to hold back a minimal amount of dirt. I would be more concerned about them being set up out of square and looking like crap. your dovetails will need to fit snug. you might even install guide block to the inside of the corners to prevent them being set up out-of-square. while you're at it, you could also add a stop at the bottom of each corner to make all the top edges flush with each other. it would also make it easier to just pick up a small bed and move it without disassembling it.

good luck.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
dove tail jig?

Started by smith2bj on General Woodworking

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 04:43:47 PM
by thedeeredude
xx
Dove Tail log home

Started by Rob30 on Timber Framing/Log construction

11 Replies
Last post December 08, 2018, 05:46:21 PM
by TW