The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Useful sawmill mods  (Read 314794 times)

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
Re: Useful sawmill mods
« Reply #1520 on: February 14, 2020, 07:22:48 AM »
It looks like you squashed a bunny with one of those slabs on your outfeed table!! 
Can add roadkill to the  list of possible cushions above. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1521 on: February 14, 2020, 03:16:49 PM »
It works best with the stationary console, and it's a five minute mod.  Simply weld a narrow plate across the bottom of the dragback arm and you'll have complete control of dragging back the board and putting it where you want it on the table.

The stock dragback drops the board as soon as it clears the cant.  You can see that in @123maxbars excellent video.  This mod keeps hold of the board and allows it to be carried all the way to the end of the travel of the head, so to drop the board on the end of the outfeed table.  It really does work for such as simple thing.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

I don't know who first posted about this mod but it is one of the best mods for the arm type board return. I did a bit of a mod to the original mod and I like it even better now.

You can see in this pic the original 1" by 1/4" flat bar that I added and in the second pic you can see the triangle shaped piece added to make the shelf very reliable and positive for the job it does.  It is quite a bit wider and the edge is parallel with the cant instead of angled.

If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340 
2007 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 almost Super
2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #1522 on: February 14, 2020, 08:21:57 PM »
I came up with this mod a long time ago in January 2013, post 737.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #1523 on: February 14, 2020, 09:41:37 PM »
It looks like you squashed a bunny with one of those slabs on your outfeed table!!  :D Happy Birthday too!!  
It was a chicken.
Here's a recreation video.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1524 on: February 14, 2020, 09:46:54 PM »
You have a funny definition of live edge there.... ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #1525 on: February 14, 2020, 10:18:49 PM »
Yeah, it was mostly dead edge.   :D
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #1526 on: February 15, 2020, 04:23:33 PM »
It works best with the stationary console, and it's a five minute mod.  Simply weld a narrow plate across the bottom of the dragback arm and you'll have complete control of dragging back the board and putting it where you want it on the table.

The stock dragback drops the board as soon as it clears the cant.  You can see that in @123maxbars excellent video.  This mod keeps hold of the board and allows it to be carried all the way to the end of the travel of the head, so to drop the board on the end of the outfeed table.  It really does work for such as simple thing.

I added the dragback fingers and the "shelf" to my LT40 Super Wide a few months ago.   It works so much better than chasing boards off the side of the mill. 
Hidden Acres Farm
Been there, done that.   Never got caught

Wood-Mizer LT40 Super- Wide HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline jovol

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1527 on: February 21, 2020, 07:35:13 PM »
Took some inspiration from another FF member and converted my hitch to a pintle ring. Only had it on 2 days, it survived its first 100 miles on the road without an issue. So much easier moving the mill around with the ball mounted forks, dont have to worry about locking down the ball mount latch 

2017 LT50 wide, 2004 LT40 G28 (for sale), ms250, ms661 42 granberg, Logrite fetching arch, 2000 New Holland LS180, Ford 6.0s

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #1528 on: March 29, 2020, 03:50:20 PM »
Sticky fingers for the 70 super dragback at least until the paint dries. Aka Yellowhammer fingertips. Not a spectacular weld job but good for me. Hope to try them out tomorrow.

Take control of them boards. Saw them and pull them.  

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1529 on: March 29, 2020, 07:22:54 PM »
You may want to consider wedging them so the grabbing end of the block will slip between cant and board. Once you get used to them you will raise the head just enough to slip the wedge into the cut without very abruptly stopping the head and causing undesirable maintenance issues. 

When you do the physics energy calculations of stopping the head with even 6 inches of travel BEFORE you hit the very solidly clamped cant, you will understand that the energy those return bars get hit with is more than enough to bend them slightly every time it happens. NOT good! The wedge grind doesn't  cure it totally but drastically reduces the risk.  

I did it with the 1/4" plate piece I welded on mine. Grind that wedge  so it is angled down the bottom side. I ground it sharp and then rounded it slightly with a file. Rarely miss the cut slot now.

Thats actually how I figured out my arm was bent and strength compromised. I have to raise about 7/8"ths to 1" to hit the cut. If that changes something is out of kilter and needs to be checked.    
If you ain't livin on the edge you are takin up way to much room. Of course at my age if I get too close to that edge any more theres a good chance I may fall off.

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #1530 on: March 30, 2020, 04:55:02 AM »
Mine's got a 9/16 bump up button feature which raises the bottom of the fingers 9/16 above the cant for most of the dragging back. Or is this a concern of hitting the board to be dragged back and wanting to get some lift on it at the beginning?

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #1531 on: March 30, 2020, 07:37:26 AM »
I made the Yellowhammer Finger mod to mine maybe the week after I got my new mill, because I felt crippled without it, and I have kept them dead flat in the front becuase I wanted them to be very strong and thick so I could grab big slabs with no bending.  A leading edge angle wouldnt hurt, as long as the bottom is dead flat.  After many hundred tons of wood dragged back, the only damage is that there is no paint on the front anymore.  

So I like to return at normal speed with the fingers pressing against the butt of the board, until just before the balance point where the board tips over, and then let the head coast for a second, which gives the board a chance to pivot and see-saw up on the cant and jack the back end of the board up.  At that point, its game over, reaccelerate the drag back, hook the board and drag and drop it where you want it.

I did bend and crack a few welds on my LT40 dragback as Bandmill B says,  but these arms are strong and they havent bent yet, because I can still slide my pin arm through them all.  

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Online Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1532 on: March 30, 2020, 09:19:22 AM »
What advantage do individual fingers have over the solid drag back?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1533 on: March 30, 2020, 11:17:24 AM »
Mine's got a 9/16 bump up button feature which raises the bottom of the fingers 9/16 above the cant for most of the dragging back. Or is this a concern of hitting the board to be dragged back and wanting to get some lift on it at the beginning?
Mostly to make best use of the carry capability of the mod so that it lifts the end of every board instead of just pushing it along. Carrying the board actually gives you a marginally quicker return cycle than pushing it along the cant and reduces the return amp load on the drive motor up to about 40% depending on board size.    

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #1534 on: March 30, 2020, 10:15:17 PM »
Larry,
The individual fingers are made of thick steel and very strong. They also cover a wider swath so are able to return wider, or out of position or more irregular shaped slabs and boards.  They are standard on the LT70 and I actually like them better than my old LT40 style.  

I especially like them for quartersawing because of their wider coverage, and when Im RRQS way put toward the idle side wheel, they can return the initial cuts.   I had to weld an extension into my LT40 dragback to get that much side coverage.    
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #1535 on: March 31, 2020, 07:15:48 AM »
Sticky fingers for the 70 super dragback at least until the paint dries. Aka Yellowhammer fingertips. Not a spectacular weld job but good for me. Hope to try them out tomorrow.

Take control of them boards. Saw them and pull them.  

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Used this yesterday, wow!!!
No longer have the board falling off the cant and banging the mill table. Carry it back as far as you like, do the auto down to the next cut it will fall off as the head starts forward. Or just lower it almost to the table,Start forward, board comes off, and hit the auto down, head gos up to the next cut. If brought back to the balance point, or lowered almost to the table, the board doesnt fall anywhere. What a difference!

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #1536 on: March 31, 2020, 08:03:56 AM »
Thats my first 5 star review for the Yellowhammer Fingertips.   8) 8)

I'm glad it worked out.

I agree, once you get to routinely using them, you'll feel crippled if you ever work with a mill that doesn't have them.  Its such a simple mod, no moving parts and it really makes a difference.  

It was kind of interesting, when I bought the LT70 with the different dragback system, the first thing my WM rep said was that I wouldn't be able to use my fingers on the new style dragback.  I was surprised they even knew about them.  However, after using the mill for just a few days, and being more and more frustrated from boards just coming off the cant randomly, and hitting the deck, then having to reach forward and hand tug and pull them, I couldn't take it anymore and had to come up with this design.  Its tough emotionally :D welding on a brand new mill, but it takes the dragback system to a whole different level. 

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #1537 on: March 31, 2020, 08:55:43 AM »
After consulting with you earlier I made them 2" long.  After one use seems to be a good length.

I cut the 4 2x1x1 fingers out of a travel rest pin WM sent that didnt fit the mill.  The fingers have some orange peeking through already.  When I was making them wife asked me what I was doing and I said I was making Yellowhammer Cheesyfingers for my mill.

On another note I doubt that these dragback fingers would ever bend.   If something has to give it might be the bar that is welded on to the mill that stops the top of the fingers as they hang straight down.

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #1538 on: March 31, 2020, 09:01:07 AM »
Its tough emotionally  welding on a brand new mill, but it takes the dragback system to a whole different level.
They're about $35 each if it bothers anyone welding to them, buy a set and put them in a drawer if it makes you feel better.

ps i didnt even consider welding these on the mill, with 6 ECUs.

pss One could also make a heavy duty angle bracket, drill and tap the dragback fingers and mount it with bolts. Or maybe just drill and tap the base of the finger for a bolt, with our without head,  to itself act as a fingertip. 

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1539 on: March 31, 2020, 11:43:10 AM »
If you've looked a little closer and read my notes about my ledge mod, you will have noticed that it evolved from the original post (by yellowhammer I believe) of a 3/4" flat bar welded to the bottom of the vertical drag back plate to a triangular  piece that is about 2 inches wide at the narrow side.

The 3/4" flat bar piece proved the concept was definitely viable and desierable but the reliability left a lot to be desired. The narrow piece was too small to get a good hold on the end of the board to make sure it stuck to the boards somewhere north of 90% of time. I rarely lose a board any direction with the way mine is set up and I am very sure you would all be happy with that mod at about 1.5" width minimum.  

This picture shows it quite good.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
sawmill mods

Started by doug olsen on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 04:25:41 PM
by WDH
xx
Woodland Sawmill Mods

Started by Billbob on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post December 15, 2013, 04:21:35 PM
by Billbob