iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2352 BF Day!

Started by Kirk_Allen, July 25, 2004, 10:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

I broke all my past cutting days with this one.  I was cutting Western Red Cedar Telephone poles and cross ties for a local farmer who works full time for the power company.  Total of 7 hours put on the mill this day. 336 BF an hour 8) 8) 8)

He said the poles had been in the ground for 15 years and on his property for another 5.  You would have never known it from the looks of them.  Turned out to be some of the best cedar I have seen in a while.  No creasote and only one pole had an aluminam termite control plug put in it.  

In the back of the pickup are cross ties from the poles.  We cut them in half and in thirds for studding.  It was this process that boosted our BF totals for the day.  All I had to do was place three of the ties (4 1/2" x 3 3/4") on the mill and clamp them up and with one pass down the middle he had 6 boards to his dimension.  We cut 65 cross ties that afternoon. Making 6 boards in one pass made things move right along.

Turned out to be quite a day.  We had to take a two hour break for an awsome thunder storm and it was during that break that a local farmer stopped by who not only has some logs he needs cut but he just happend to be freinds of my Dads from High School.  This guy seemed to know every one of my family members and even told me about one of my Dads boys that went into the Military.  Little did this guy know at the time that it was me he was talking about.  It was one of the most enjoyable days of cutting I have ever had.   8)  

Gilman

Thanks for the inspiration Kirk,

I've yet had over 1,000 bf nor a 7 hour day!  I look forward to it though.  

Email me the dark photo and I'll see if I can't touch it up a bit and send it back to ya.  I'm sure we would all like to get a clearer picture of your work.

dumore1remove-this-part@comcast.net

sorry about the "remove-this-part", but I hate spam and them spaming turds worm through the net for email addresses.

Also, what do you have hanging off the front for your tractor?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Kirk_Allen

The tractor is an OLD John Deer with a front end loader on it.  It belonged to the farmer I cut for.  First time I had ever seen a front end loader that was controled by the 3-point hydraulics on the back of a tractor.

Kirk_Allen

I tried to cut and paste the email address but it comes back undeliverable.  I worked on the photo this morning and got it fixed.  
Thanks

Kirk

Bibbyman

I like those days when everything clicks and there are no major interuptions.

We've hit that mark a couple of times.  One day we were sawing 8/4 walnut from nice 10' plump logs.  Son Gabe was helping - Mary was sawing.  We got out around (maybe a little over) 2500 bf in about 5 hours of sawing.  We had to quit.  We were done in.  How many tons did we move??  I don't want to know.. ::)

BTW,  Love that middle picture of the mill in the sundown light and all the lumber and slabs stacked around.  It needs to be framed and put on the wall.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

iain

only had one day like that twas cutting 4x4x84 posts from big butts got 47 posts from one piece
cut out 384 4x4's and 127 2x4x120 rails on the last day tractor to load two taking off 5 blades (one staple strike) in just under 9 hours beut day home by 10pm in a thunder storm :)

Gilman

Iain,
If those 384 4 x 4's were 6' long that makes 3,070 bf + 850 bf of 2 x 4's = 3,920 bf !  WOW

Rev 1:
At 7' that yeilds a total of 4,430 bf.  Must have been some great logs.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

iain

they was 7' long and we knew we had cut them
but the money was good and the helper's were from the farm estate
 and they knew about off bearing at the end of the day
that was a VERY execptional day most of my cutting is for myself and is no where near that say about 900/1000 ft per day cause of the kind of stuff i cut for me ;D
 at the start of the day the lads keep shouting come on come on lets have it we want to go home

LeeB

I managed 1000bf one time on my manual mill cutting and stacking by myself in 8 1/2 hours. usualy I'm good for about 3-500bf. I couldn't even think about 3000 :o LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tracy

I once cut almost 5,000 bf. ft. in 7hours!. That was with 2 off loaders and the edger though with good logs and the owner moving the logs and slabs with a front end loader.

I has been cutting a lot for this guy without the edger and was cutting close to 3,000 ft a day and he was happy with the price but when I added the edger with another helper and really upped production he started thinking I was making too much a day. Yep it was real good money but with $35k in saws +2 men and adding up blades+fuel brings that back down quick.

Thank You Sponsors!