iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Automated Twin blade sawmill build.

Started by CaseyK, September 24, 2014, 10:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

Would there be a way to have an adjustable speed motor instead of changing sprockets?  I may have missed something in previous posts and it would overload my poor brain trying to find any pertinent info by re-reading everything.  I apologize for my poor memory.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

CaseyK

Got the indicator lamps replaced, input card wired, output card wired and the associated I/o points tested and about 1/2 of them added to the program. Jacked up one side of the frame and greased the wheels and made sure they were turning ok.

Ox, by changing the sprockets then when the drive is given a full speed reference then it's current draw will be below 35 amps.

Now to see what else I can get done today
Home built automated twin blade

Ox

1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

CaseyK

Today went well, i was able to fix a few things and get some experience cutting up a 24" pine log. Learning how to operate the controls and optimize them has been a learning experience. Added some additional programming  that once the log center and top is identified then as a row of lumber is cut and the head lowered then once commanded the head will move to the left side of the log in position to cut its bark cut.

The shavings and chips are going everywhere so i built some metal guards that i will install tomorrow to better control them and also planning on adding some rubber or plastic strip sheets hanging down to deflect some of the chips. The vertical blade guard does a pretty good job of directing the chips out the front & possibly into a future dust collector system but i haven't been able to come up with a good way to collect the chips off of the horizontal blade.

Does anybody have any ideas to collect the chips off of the horizontal blade?

UPS just delivered the 2 new feed work sprockets to hopefully increase the feedrate up from 2.8"/sec to 4.2" but to stay below the current limit i may have to adjust the drives max speed & torque limit setting, but hoping to get at least 3.5"/sec.

Made a video but im not able to edit it to shorten it up so im still working on that so i can load it to youtube and link it to a post.

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

pasbuild

I hope its not sideways, I'll have to lay down to view it and every time I do I end up falling asleep  :-\
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Ox

The only thing my poor brain can come up with to collect chips off the horizontal blade is to build a deflector/diverter where the most chips fly out.  Aim it down to a rubber belt conveyor/elevator running full length of the mill underneath it and have that deposit outside to another elevator angling up in the air to drop the chips in a pile.  It's a very simple idea and you've probably already thought of it, but you never know, right?  I also know it's easy to spend someone else's money but unfortunately this idea is all I have.  Hopefully it'll maybe spark a better idea for you at the very least.  This idea comes from my farming days in the feed room with a TMR mixer.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

CaseyK

I never imagined a dust guard could take so long to fab up. Decided to make 2, one for between the blades and one for the right of the vertical blade and to deflect chips from the radiator. Got frame 1/2 way built. Hope to finish it in the morning and swap the feed work sprockets to see if the the new speed will stay below current limit.

If sucessful I promise to post the long awaited video.

Ox

With regards to fabricating things from scratch:  It always seems to take at least twice as long as what you figured.  At least for me.  Can be quite aggravating at times.  The sawmill I built from scratch took about 2 1/2 months.  I figured 3 weeks.  Of course I was quite anal about everything because I wanted as close to perfection as possible but most things don't need to be absolutely perfect.  Close is usually good enough.  Lessons learned!  Good luck to you.  May your cuts be accurate and your welds strong.

CaseyK

Was able to saw some timbers up for the closing in the saw deck and add some plastic flaps to direct the sawdust & also added some ductwork for the radiator infeed to cut down on chips blocking the radiator. 

CaseyK

in the last photo you can see the new radiator duct work added to the right of the engine and also the plastic flaps i added to knock down the chips.

Tomorrow im hoping on decking in all the way to the other rail.

Ox

:laugh: Coming right along!  Very cool.

CaseyK

Made a little more progress today.

Just got to finish decking it in tomorrow and figure out how to incorporate the roller beds with a drag chain & figure out what a barn sweeper looks like.

pineywoods

I see sawdust, I see mud.. Progress....Keep on plugging away, it's looking good.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ox

You could make your own barn cleaner type drag chain yourself.  Use 1/2" chain and every 10 to 15 links weld a piece of 2" or so angle iron for the scrapers or paddles.  Make these around 1 or 2 feet long.  Get some 1/2" link chain sprockets like what boats use for the windlass to help pull up anchors.  Put the whole thing in a gutter and you have a smaller, lighter duty barn cleaner (or sawdust cleaner!).  Most every barn cleaner I've ever seen has an inside corner which just drags around a thick metal guide.  The outside corners are large steel wheels.  The drive head is geared down usually 3 times.  Motor with belt to sprocket with #60 chain to sprocket with #120 chain type idea.  Of course in a barn the barn cleaner chain is a bit stronger and bigger than 1/2" chain.  Hopefully this may give you some ideas.

CaseyK

Guess it time to get back to finishing the sawmill

Kbeitz

You can buy roller chain with paddle links.
You can buy just a box of paddle links and add to chain every so often.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

larrydown60

CaseyK

I got the saw decks decked in so i could get control of the sawdust. I asked around to try to find some of those sawdust eating goats but everybody at the store said that they were all purchased by the guys around marion louisiana

So with it turning colder weather & the sawdust pile getting bigger i looked up on youtube and came up with a sawdust rocket stove. The first days burn went great and lasted for 8-10hrs and burned completly but 2nd days only burned for 6hrs before blocking off the air inlet, day 3 which was today burned good for 6hrs before we messed with it and the top collapsed on to the air inlet hole. hopefully next week i will get a chance to experiment with placing a metal plate on top of the sawdust mid way of the barrel and then another at the top of the sawdust pile instead of using 1" of red clay at the top .
here is some of the pics, note once you pack in the sadust & then pack in the 1" of clay on the top just twist the pvc pipe and gently remove it and light the fire.

Ox

Fantastic use for sawdust!  How is the heat output?  Maybe similar to a quite small wood stove?

CaseyK

Took 2 months off of the build to catch up on some stuff but i was able to finish decking in the saw decks and getting power and water ran from the house to the shop. In addition i wired the lights and receptacles in and around the control room. I finally fired up the mill and cut 2 white oak logs this evening  for a project. I have to add some programming tomorrow some more functions but after that im hoping to get some more oak logs cut up & make a video of the mill running.

Casey K

boardmaker

Ox

Lakehouse2012

Bumping this topic, I'm new to the forum and hoping Casey is ready to put that highly sought-after video up...
I'll be building a mill this fall, I have my wife's approval so I am going for it!!

Thank You Sponsors!