iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grapple loader trailers who has one and what brand?

Started by logman81, October 29, 2014, 03:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

lopet

logman    why you wanna sell your skidder again? I thought you like that TJ.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

logman81

I do like it but I'm getting out of logging. Just going to do whole sale firewood for the most part. Pick up three large firewood producers that need me to supply them with wood. So don't need it anymore.

lopet

Don't wanna sound negative but I doubt that your trucking cost per cord is less than the one from a guy who hauls 14-16 cord at a time. Those firewood producer only buy logs of you as long you're cheaper than big guys. I think that will be a tough going. Just my opinion.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

logman81

I'm getting the same price as them, they are willing to pay for it because they can't find anyone else to supply them with logs. I'll also sell to home owners and need about thirty cord for my out door furnace yearly. If I had logging jobs I would continue to work in the woods but I dont. See a need fill a need!

Corley5

Where are you going to source the wood if you're not producing it yourself  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logman81

Lots of people giving it away and I'll buy it off other loggers landings. This is all just thought at the moment. With no work in site and getting getting very frustrated trying to find a trucker to move a big skidder is very frustrating.  I have several sources for wood, one guy has to very large property's close by that is very willing to let me take wood out. Also will get it from tree service and and storm clean up's. Finding wood won't be an issue trust me!

David-L

Don't know how I did this without one, a real back saver,and the custom jobs are money makers. Logman, good luck. Used ones are out there.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

logman81

There's three within a three hour drive of me. Just can't seem to get this skidder sold!

brendonv

Im just wondering. So your going to pickup/buy logs, haul two maybe three cords at a time. Go home, cut, split with a small hydro splitter, reload the truck then unload the truck?  Expect to make a buck?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

logman81

logman81

Is it possible to to register one of these trailers for a lesser gvw?

bill m

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

logman81

redprospector

Quote from: logman81 on November 04, 2014, 09:10:06 PM
Is it possible to to register one of these trailers for a lesser gvw?
That won't make a difference as to needing a CDL or not. D. O. T. doesn't care what it's registered for...unless of course you weigh more than that. Then they'll grin twice as big, and you'll cuss twice as much while they're writing.
You would actually be giving them a whole new category to write you up for. I remember being written up on one ticket for "Over Gross, Over Axle Steering, Over Driver Front, Over Driver Rear, Over Trailer Front, Over Trailer Rear". Now you're going to add "Over Registration Weight" to all of the above fun.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

timberlinetree

Ed K - That's a great job you did modifying your trailer! After having met you, I can see you take good care of your equipment and run it smoothly... Logman - You're confusing me  :-\ Work safe out there everyone!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

logman81

So I can take a trailer that has a gvw of 18,000 and register it for 14,000 so I can have a combined weight under 26k. Just make sure I'm not over that weight and I wont have a issue if I understand this right.

jd540b

Logman, I agree with some of the above comments...you are all over the place, man.  Stay the course....Tortoise and the hare.....in the woods business, that get rich quick, pot of gold doesn't exist.  I cut with a skidder and hardy forwarder trailer for a long time.  They are awesome, great little rigs.  That being said-they are not the answer for making money and being productive as a stand alone unit.  Use them hard and you will be fabricating on it constantly.  Hard to pull them in the snow, mud, hard ground, jack knife on ice....etc. etc. I pulled mine with a chained up 540b and was a horror show at times.   Again-they are AWESOME rigs-as long as HIGH PRODUCTION is not the goal.  JMHO.

Also, you got the better part of the skidder trade-can't believe you are turning around and selling that grapple!  Seems like you have had a skidder a year....
An old timer once told me "when you make a big business decision, give it 5 yrs to work out or not."  I honestly think he was pretty right on. 
Not trying to offend, logman just some thoughts.
Again, JMHO.

brendonv

Quote from: jd540b on November 05, 2014, 07:08:40 AM
Logman, I agree with some of the above comments...you are all over the place, man.

I didn't want to say it, but agree. Sorry. From firewood processor, to  different skidder, to log trailer?  Pick one, give it some time and do it.  I don't think I'm this savy business man type. I like climbing trees and cutting wood, and have a built up a good name and equip. I can't imagine a trailer making a buck. Sure, haul your own wood, do a little firewod to offset the logging. By itself it's useless. Mine works great for me, I haul short wood from tree removal sites to my customers yard. I don't make good money doing it, just some extra cash for goodies or take the lady out. These are residential
Jobs, like a tree or three. I say it again, good luck

www.VorioTree.com

logman81

Dave Shepard

Quote from: logman81 on November 05, 2014, 06:25:51 AM
So I can take a trailer that has a gvw of 18,000 and register it for 14,000 so I can have a combined weight under 26k. Just make sure I'm not over that weight and I wont have a issue if I understand this right.

They don't look at registered weight, they look at the tag weight. If the trailer is 18,000, they add that to the door tag of the truck. You can't legally tow an 18,000 trailer with an 8,000 truck, so you are Class A, no question about it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Quote from: logman81 on November 05, 2014, 01:49:38 PM
I'm done here thanks!

You're done here? Why, because you asked for advice, and got it? Every post that I read here was polite and respectful. Just because it wasn't what you wanted to hear is no reason to leave. :-\
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terry f

Brendonv, how come a guy with a trailer and grapple, reliable source of cheap or free wood, couldn't make some good money. Even cutting up with a chainsaw and running through a splitter, it seems like a guy could clear a couple hundred a day with less headache. Providing a good back and a place to process it, seems like a good deal, even though there are easier ways to make a buck.

Dave Shepard

Let's assume you do have a "reliable and free" source of wood. Now you have to have your truck and trailer, saws etc. How many cords of log length can you consistently deliver in a week? I think it would be hard to make it work just loading it out of a pile and delivering it, never mind getting the trees down or out of wherever they are and to your trailer then delivering it.

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

Thank You Sponsors!