The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: drill bits  (Read 4214 times)

Offline ozarkgem

• Senior Member x2
  • age 65 yrs old
    • Share Post
Re: drill bits
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 06:20:28 AM »
If you are going to drill a relitively large diameter hole you're probabley better off to "step drill " it .Meaning using a small bit for the first pass followed by a series of larger diameter .

Sharpening a drill bit is a learning curve just like sharpening a chainsaw chain .Not everybody gets the hang of it so to speak .

A milling machine with an end mill is a good method just not everybody has a Bridgeport laying around . I do plus a 5 HP radial with a number 5 MT spindle and an XY table stationary with a number 4 MT also 5 HP .
A nice Radial drill. Sweet. What brand is it?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 11:19:22 AM »
Did it look anything like this?

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
ya some thing like that had the point and also looked like it had hole saw teeth but not as fine  think I said it right  ;D

Offline elk42

• You got to be TOUGH to get old
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 11:51:26 AM »
IT could be a Hougen Rotabroach® Annular Cutters, Look it up.

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Offline North River Energy

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 01:22:25 PM »
Coxy,
http://www.gjhalltools.com/tool/titanium-coated-annular-cutters

Retractable pilot pin, 3/4" straight shank with set screw flat.  You can drive these with some mag drills, and of course a milling machine with proper collet.  The bees knees for making big holes in plate stock.

Al, got any pictures of the radial drill-monster?   

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »
It's not really a monster  so to speak for a radial drill .American Hole Wizard 36" arm .I'm surprised it has a #5 MT instead of a # 4 .Where the big spindle came from I have no idea .It's a heavy duty Judy for sure .

Now pictures are another story .Sometimes I can load them sometimes not .Why  the trouble I have no idea . .My patience level is limited to three attempts .No dice this time ,sorry .

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 05:09:15 AM »
IT could be a Hougen Rotabroach® Annular Cutters, Look it up.

That was my thought as well.

For smaller holes, I prefer to purchase machinist grade bits.  For years I bought Butterfield (and they are great bits), then I moved to Magnum bits mfg by Norseman here in the US.  These bits will drill both spring steel as well as many grades of stainless steel.

A Darex Drill Doctor is a great tool for most folks to keep the bits sharp.

I have a Hougen Rotabroach magnetic drill, and it is a great tool for drilling larger holes or drilling holes through thick metal. 

One thing to keep in mind is bit speed.  Basically the larger the diameter of bit, the slower you want to turn it in order to keep from burning the tip.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 06:32:58 AM »
--conversely the opposite is true if drilling wires sized holes like with a #27 bit .Going too slow is a sure way to break a bit .

Holes are  holes .For those not so well equipted as some of us a hole saw could be an option.They come in just about every size and are easy to use with just a hand held drill motor .Use plenty of oil .

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 06:47:14 AM »
north river energy thanks for the link going to give them a call   thanks every one for the help  :)

Offline 36 coupe

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 07:09:12 AM »
Step drilling is a sure way to break the corners off a drill.Friend borrowed my 5/8 bit and broke the end off trying to open up a 1/2 inch hole in a trailer hitch.The drill caught and broke the drill about 3/4 from the point.I found a reference to step drilling in a 1940s manual.A writer copied the info word for word in a metal working book later on.You will break drills step drilling.Big drills need a small starter hole to get the cutting edge of the big drill started.Ive been sharpening and using drills since the early 50s.I will not do step drilling.Friend replaced the drill bit,If I had known he was going to step drill a 1/2 inch hole with a 5/8 bit I would not have loaned him the drill bit.The corners of the cutting edge dug in and snapped the bit.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 07:51:42 AM »
Perhaps your buddy was a clutz .Just as general information the standard method of drilling holes in cast iron engine blocks was a three drill process followed by a finish bore reamer and a tapped hole Must have worked because it's still done that way .

I'd also speculate your bud was using a half inch hand held drill motor and a turned shank bit .More than likely went off kelter drilling the hole .With a drill press,mag drill or milling machine that doesn't happen unless you forget to clamp down the work piece .T'aint what you do 'tis how it's done  ;)

Offline North River Energy

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
Coxy,
That link is for the bit in the photo.  Fairly certain I purchased that from Travers Tool co. a number of years back, but they (and MSC Industrial) now carry the Hougen product line. 

More or less the same thing, give or take a few dollars.  They don't give those away, but the savings in time and hassle are totally worth it if you have the need for the holes and a means to drive the cutter.

Al, thanks for trying on the photos.  I was ' conducting a job interview' with a large Cincinnati-Gilbert Saturday morning, and your mention of 'radial drill' and '5 MT' simply added heat to the case of iron fever.

Step drilling per se isn't the problem, it's how the cutting edge is loaded that leads to breakage/dulling.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 09:17:15 AM »
Well you can regrind the outer edge of the drill flukes to alleviate the possibilties of breaking them .

I just didn't want to get carried away too much in the conversation .There's a trick to everything ya know . ;)

As far as a big radial they aren't that hard to find .Fact the one I have was given to me by a buddy .He only had 240 three phase and this one uses a straight wired 480 volt .Not a problem for me .If I had enough transformers ,a good set of diodes and a big enough capacitor I could build a bolt of lightning . ;D

Keep in mind old Ron is a junk yard dawg like myself .I gave him a Vickers hydraulic unit ,60 gallon tank,7.5 HP to run his 200 ton press .We kind of help each other out from time to time .Junk yard dawgs you know run in packs ,it's an undeclared fraternal brother hood .

Offline brianb88

• Full Member x2
  • Still thinking
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 05:55:52 PM »
As someone else mentioned the annular cutter bits are very good for use in a magnetic drill.  I don't know what the best brand is but we generally use FMT production and they work well if you keep them well lubricated.  They are pretty salty though.  I bought 6 - 1 5/8" diameter x 2" length bits for $1,125.44.  Did I mention not to forget to lubricate liberally?   
Measure twice, cut once

Offline hackberry jake

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 06:09:28 PM »
I have a few solid carbide drill bits and they work great! You have to run them really slow breaking through the back side of the hole or they will shatter. They cut great for a loooong time if you're careful with them.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 06:11:38 PM »
I think Milwaukee calls them a "slugger bit " .Pricey but the cats meow on a mag drill .

Actually a mag drill in itself is the cats meow .Without it I cannot imagine drilling 3/4"-13/16"  holes in structural steel by swinging  around an I beam into a radial or stationary drill press on the end of a chain fall.You darn sure aren't going to do it with a 1/2" drill motor and turned shank bits .

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Since it's been mentioned I also have a bunch of solid carbide bits .They all came from the scrap tubs at work .Once they get too short for the CNC machines they get discarded .

About the only thing I use them for is drilling chainsaw bars and drilling out grade 8 bolts .A grade 8 is so hard a standard high speed steel bit won't even touch them .If it does it only makes to bolt get harder from the heat .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Drill bits

Started by woody1 on General Board

13 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 10:00:23 PM
by arj
xx
bits for barn beam drill.

Started by DansSawmill on Timber Framing/Log construction

13 Replies
Last post December 29, 2018, 10:21:52 AM
by DansSawmill
xx
Contrasting 1.5" vs 2": chiesels and drill bits

Started by Rougespear on Timber Framing/Log construction

19 Replies
Last post June 07, 2016, 11:04:00 PM
by jimdad07
xx
Got a working Snell boring machine! Need bits -any modern bits that will work?

Started by Preserved on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2018, 04:20:45 PM
by Jim_Rogers