The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Boiled Peanuts  (Read 5145 times)

Offline StimW

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Boiled Peanuts
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:54:51 PM »
The typical way is to boil them in a large pot for 2-5 hours.
I have been boiling them in a pressure cooker for about 20 years and they are just as good!
The tricks are-
When they start perking cook for 30 minutes.
Turn them off and let set until fairly cool, that lets the water and salt soak in.
If you open them and take them out of the water too soon they will be cooked but dry with no salt.
I have also frozen them after cooking and thawed them out. They are not as good as fresh but still good.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: Boiled Peanuts
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 08:58:08 PM »
We have boiled and eaten our share this year.  MMmmm, I love boiled peanuts.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
We have boiled and eaten our share this year.  MMmmm, I love boiled peanuts.   food6

You favor a boiled peanut.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:05:59 AM »
I need some boiled peanuts,, them is hard to find up this way,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 07:50:35 AM »
I love them and have made four batches this Fall.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 07:44:12 AM »
don't know much about peanuts just that they are good  why do you boil them or do you have to  ???

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 07:53:29 AM »
You boil the raw ones.  If you don't roast them or boil them, the raw ones will give you a stomach ache. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline StimW

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »
don't know much about peanuts just that they are good  why do you boil them or do you have to  ???

It's a southern thing. My guess is some old fart with no teeth came up with it.
You boil green peanuts that have not been dried. You boil them with heavy salt.
They are truly addictive! You crack the shell open and the nuts are firm but soft and tasty. 
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 09:07:05 AM »
The typical way is to boil them in a large pot for 2-5 hours.
I have been boiling them in a pressure cooker for about 20 years and they are just as good!
The tricks are-
When they start perking cook for 30 minutes.
Turn them off and let set until fairly cool, that lets the water and salt soak in.
If you open them and take them out of the water too soon they will be cooked but dry with no salt.
I have also frozen them after cooking and thawed them out. They are not as good as fresh but still good.

I agree with everything said here. I prefer a traditional boil but when time is an issue I pressure cook.

I also love to eat them raw. Just not too many.
Jon ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 08:13:38 PM »
I boiled up a big batch today.  I have one more 5# bag, then that is it for the raw ones that you boil.  Season over. 

Offline Alligator

• Born behind the slab pile, have turpentine blood
    • Share Post
    • Alligator Casey
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 11:34:33 PM »
I love boiled peanuts. Around here everyone has their own favor of the kind and age to boil. I like mine dug about 2 or 3 weeks before harvest when they are not tight in the hull. I like the Spanish peanuts. They are smaller and more work, but have a better taste. I can suffer thru 8 or 10 pounds of Jumbos :D The guy that rents my farm, that surrounds my house has planted soy beans this year and cotton last year. I am hoping for peanuts next year. It' nice to be able to walk out ans stomp up a good boiling of peanuts to boil.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Offline StimW

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 09:29:42 PM »
I grew some this year but was so busy that they were getting old when I dug them. They still boiled up great!
Peanuts are great for the soil too. They add nitrogen to it and if you till the old plants back in it helps even more.
I looked at some green peanuts today at Winn Dixie but the wanted almost $3. a pound for them!! I will have to hit the Flea Market for a better price.
New HF Band Mill

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 07:42:53 AM »
It is that time of the year again.  This is the fifth batch this year.  I boil up a bunch and freeze them in freezer bags to have during the cold winter as a snack.  They freeze well, and are still very good when thawed out and re-heated. 

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 08:43:31 AM »
   Now you're hitting below the belt talking about and showing something you know we can't get up here. When I grew up in N. Fla every small town had a Peanut Boy who peddled boiled and parched (Roasted) peanuts in small brown paper bags on weekends and special events. My buddy "Peanut (Jimmy) Hamrick" and his brother sold them across the line in Flomaton Ala. His dad ran an open air fruit and vegetable market. Peanut sold them year round and when I asked him where he got green peanuts in the winter he said they just boiled the dry ones and that worked. You had to watch him though - he'd sell you a bag of peanuts then eat them up from you if you weren't careful.

We used to boil them in a big washpot and used rock/ice cream salt for seasoning as just as good as the more expensive table salt.

I found the perfect way to parch peanuts was to preheat the oven to around 325-350 degrees F then put a big cooking tray about an inch deep in peanuts in the oven and turn it off, and leave them overnight without opening or touching them. The residual heat was perfect and would not burn them and you did not have to rotate or turn them. In the morning they would be perfectly cooked. When roasting peanuts it is easy to overcook them as they continue to cook in the shell once you take them off the heat. If you cook them till they test done then take them off the heat they will continue cooking in the shell and burn.

I bought peanuts in the souks in Saudi when working there. They were 5 riyals per kg as I remember and pretty good. After I while I asked the dealer how much the shelled ones next to them cost. He told me 5 riyals a kg too so that changed my purchase procedure - my Mama didn't raise no fool. The street venders there would cook them in a wok full of salt over hot charcoal, take them out with a slotted spoon and shake most of the salt back then sell them for 1 riyal (about a quarter if I remember correctly) in a rolled up tube from an old computer printout. They tasted just like the salted peanuts in the stores.

In Cameroon in west Africa the street women in Douala sold roasted peanuts on the street corners. A 1/5 whiskey bottle packed completely full cost around 500 cfs (a little over a dollar if I remember correctly). They all had a wire and a small rag. They'd use the wire and rag to wash and polish the bottle till it shined (water was probably from a puddle or street drain), rub the husks off the roasted peanuts by hand (I think they roasted them in a barrel turned over an open fire - I never saw that part of the process), then packed them in the whiskey bottle till not another peanut would fit. I'd bring dried cranberries from home and mix and made great trail mix. When the women weren't washing bottles or packing peanuts in the bottles they use their wires (Old coat hangers I think) to braid each other's hair.

Peanuts were used as a thickener in soup and stews and such over there and was a staple diet. I visited a pygmy family and the lady was grinding them between two river rocks. Before I got there I never knew they even grew peanuts over there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 08:56:56 AM »
Showing that picture is cruel and unusual punishment.   smiley_smash
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline 69bronco

• Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 04:06:51 PM »
Showing that picture is cruel and unusual punishment.   smiley_smash
It sure is.... steve_smiley

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 04:26:30 PM »
That looks good. Where is a good place to get raw peanuts? All the ones I have found here in the north say not for human consumpution, for squirrel feed only. The only ones I can find you can eat around here are roasted. Can you boil the roasted ones if raw ones are not available?  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 05:46:55 PM »
21",

Sorry but I would not advise boiling roasted peanuts. I think you'd just end up with mush in a shell. Sometimes you can find boiled peanuts in a can and they are not bad if you can't get fresh ones.

Unless the ones listed for squirrel food indicated they had some kind of pesticide on them I'd think they would be edible. (There are probably stricter regs on what we can feed the animals than what we eat ourselves anyway). Usually dry raw peanuts are roasted but my expert buddy used to boil them. He said it just took a lot longer as they wanted to float. I don't know if you could put then in some kind of metal cooking cage (like an inverted trainer or putting the strainer on top to push them down to sink them) to speed the process. I'd bet that would be a good time to try the pressure cooker technique.

Good luck and remember if you can't get boiled peanuts roasted ones are good too.

In Cameroon the local boys would go out in the bush and find some kind of round root nut about the size of a hickory nut. They would boil it and sell them at intersections or toll gates or any place traffic slowed down. They had a thin shell you could crack with your teeth and they tasted to me just like giant boiled peanuts. I'd buy some every time a kid approached with some. I still have no idea what kind of plant they came off.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
I just can't do boiled peanuts.

Salted, in the shell are my favorites.
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 09:04:07 PM »
I buy raw peanuts in 1.5 lb bags at the local supermarket. They also stock roasted.
Package says "Raw Jumbo Virginia Peanuts, packed by Hinds Nut Co. Dallas Texas..
I don't boil them, eat 'em raw...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Boiled Peanuts

Started by Magicman on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

37 Replies
Last post January 07, 2012, 04:41:12 PM
by scgargoyle
xx
Boiled Peanuts

Started by Mooseherder on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

48 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 11:14:16 AM
by Magicman
xx
Genuine Boiled Georga Peanuts

Started by etat on General Board

26 Replies
Last post April 15, 2004, 10:19:44 PM
by etat
xx
Peanuts

Started by Tom on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!