iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small international log truck need info please

Started by logman81, November 09, 2014, 06:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Sure, look for the things you are going to want changed or refurbished to get it to run and look like the truck you want.
You probably are the best judge of that.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

s grinder

Hey Logman81 How'd you make out with that Cornbinder ?

thecfarm

Cornbinder!!! My Father use to say that. I have not heard that for years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Cornbinders  8) 8)  "Held together with spit and baling wire"  :) :)  As my Grandfather used to say.  He had a '74 1 ton IH 4X4.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

nas

Quote from: thecfarm on November 14, 2014, 07:28:49 PM
A few guys still call them that around here, Including me :)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

logman81

Well guys i just got back from looking at the truck and it was better then I expected. It is a very clean truck, no leaks of any kind. Motor ran perfect with lots of power and shifted through the gears very well no posing out. Interior was in almost show room condition. Loader works flawlessly and is very strong and is nice and tight. All the lights work and comes with six almost new tires what a nice truck! All that's left to do is have them check out the skidder.
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

Truck also had rear disk brakes not sure how common that is but stopped very well.

redprospector

Quote from: thecfarm on November 14, 2014, 07:28:49 PM

Hahaha. Anything less...is just a car.  :D

I wish they were still in business. They made one heck of a tough pickup truck, and I loved my old 67 Scout.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

logman81

So how common are the disk brake setups for the rear? They also did something that I thought was a neat idea,  they used fire hose on the hydraulic lines going to the grapple to pertect it. I also liked the fact that the lines run through the boom instead of the out side. Seems that John deere had a very good loader design. The truck also had a neat feature for the pto, it has a electronic cruise control to raise and lower it to any rpm that you wanted with a electric switch. Also they just put a new over sized pump so that it can be run at a lower rpm and still have good flow.

snowstorm

Quote from: logman81 on November 14, 2014, 08:29:48 PM
Truck also had rear disk brakes not sure how common that is but stopped very well.
the few that i know that had disc brakes on a medium duty truck like that said they would never own another one. air much better. with juice brakes you cant put a tag axle under it. or shouldnt

logman81

Ok not worried about having to put a tag axle under it hauls plenty of weight just the way it is, almost puts you through the windshield the brakes are that good.

s grinder

Woodhauler

Been staying netrual on this, but i think you are on the short end of the stick. Outdated loader, juice brakes, single axle, i can go on and on.Wait till your skidder sells then go shopping!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

logman81

They are hydraulic brakes,  they have hauled 400,000 feet with that truck, wood hauler I hate to say this but I disagree with you. The truck is perfect with not one single issue. It will fit into people's yards easily and the loader is very tight and strong. Just trust me on this it is the right truck for me.

Woodhauler

No matter what is said, your mind is made up! Good luck on your deal.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

logman81

Yeah thanks I've been bouncing around about different stuff and have made up my mind.

leeroyjd

Just had one of the mills close it's doors and there might be another closing within the next year.
[/quote]
      Which mill closed and what's the other one that might be closing?

logman81

They are just small private specialty millers getting out of the business that I've sold some logs to. Not high production mills.

Ken

Personally I can not see where you can use a truck like that to pick up a couple of cord of firewood at a time and deliver it and be profitable unless the market conditions are completely different than they are here.   It seems like you get your mind made up and there is no changing it even though others point out the issues you will have.  This same conversation happened when you wanted to buy the big grapple to do small select cuts.  Now you can't sell that machine.  Wait until you try to unload that truck.  Very few will be interested.  Probably should have kept your little timberjack and been working instead of shopping all the time.  JMHO
Lots of toys for working in the bush

timberlinetree

Seems like those trucks are good for a log here or there maybe like a tree service or a small saw mill.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

snowstorm

Quote from: Ken on November 16, 2014, 07:00:08 AM
Personally I can not see where you can use a truck like that to pick up a couple of cord of firewood at a time and deliver it and be profitable unless the market conditions are completely different than they are here.   It seems like you get your mind made up and there is no changing it even though others point out the issues you will have.  This same conversation happened when you wanted to buy the big grapple to do small select cuts.  Now you can't sell that machine.  Wait until you try to unload that truck.  Very few will be interested.  Probably should have kept your little timberjack and been working instead of shopping all the time.  JMHO
well said ..........up in this part of the world that truck would not sell for any where near 20k.maybe 7 to 8 k tops if its perfect

logman81

I also do tree work guys not just firewood and logging.  If I'm getting the wood for free or for very little and selling it right to my customers and keeping the mileage down to a minimum I'll make plenty of profit. I'm also thinking about doing a little hauling for other small tree guys that may not have a way to haul logs. Charge them a hourly rate, just a thaught. Again  guys if I'm making money hauling a half cord of blocks with a pickup and i double my production with this truck I'll make more! The insurance is cheaper on this truck then my pickup to. I would sell the skidder if I had more work but I really don't feel like working full time anymore. Their are other reasons for this decision but you don't need to hear about It.

BargeMonkey

I know out your way there is a niche market, if you can make it fly why not. you can pick up a decent size stick with it ?

logman81

Yes their is a good niche here, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't run the numbers and such to that it will work.  Yes the loader is strong in my opinion, the guy picked up a white pine log 30" around and twelve foot long at full extension like nothing. And it doesn't have a once of play in the pins and bushings.

mad murdock

Looks like a tidy little truck. What do they think of the skidder?  When I was a kid there was an old logger had a old jimmy about that size, he customed it out by putting another axle under it, can't remember if it was ahead of behind the driver axle. He modified the frame so it telescoped about 8 feet. He could stretch that truck out and haul more or if it was bigger love and more weight, run it shorter. The driveline telescoped as well. It was a neat truck, had 2 granny's, one feeding the other. No shortage of tears.   He mad money with that rig because of how light it was empty he could haul almost as much as the guys running the bigger rigs without a pup.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!