iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hunting in a snowstorm

Started by Jeff, November 10, 2014, 04:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Is that a feeder with all the deer in the pic?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

goose63

If I had a place like that you would never see me in town.
Boss you got the life  8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WDH

Watch out for all those illegal liberals immigrating to Canada. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chain

Appears too many does, the bucks are all laid up. You need the bucket feeder that dials up "Bucks Only" be sure to shoot only when his head is in the bucket........... :)

{old Ozark joke}

Jeff

I think it's white beard weather again today.

Magicman

I wanna see some RED snow.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

They say bucks will move when it snows. It's only snowing because the wind is bad. Lake effect. They say deer don't  like to move in the wind. So, I'm here waiting for a dislexic buck that doesnt read.

Magicman

I have spent many hours and days deer hunting without shooting, or even seeing a buck.  I do not feel that any of them were wasted because just giving your mind the opportunity to think without thinking is a wonderful thing.  smiley_dizzy  Kinda excites the creative juices.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

Quote from: Magicman on November 18, 2014, 04:52:01 PM
I have spent many hours and days deer hunting without shooting, or even seeing a buck.  I do not feel that any of them were wasted because just giving your mind the opportunity to think without thinking is a wonderful thing.  smiley_dizzy  Kinda excites the creative juices.   :)

You tipped the hat MM.....{creative juices} I'll give you a tip from an old trapper who passed it to me and you can pass it on to only your most trusted hunting friends, OK?

'Beaver castor gland lure,' just hang it and bag it. Interestingly, most all wild animals are attracted to beaver lure, even the wily and shrewdest of old bucks. Even human bucks, after all it was the base for many perfumes. Now you know!

Jeff

Tonight was the most fun I have had in a deer blind in years. No shooter buck, but a nice sized spike horn was making it really interesting trying to round up a doe that didn't want to have anything to do with him. Lots of chasing and deer going every which way. I kept hoping I'd see a keeper come creeping in along the woodline, but it got dark on me and they were still playing their snowdeer games tonight! What fun when You have no idea how many deer you saw in an evening.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on November 18, 2014, 03:53:59 PM
They say bucks will move when it snows. It's only snowing because the wind is bad. Lake effect. They say deer don't  like to move in the wind. So, I'm here waiting for a dislexic buck that doesnt read.

:D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Hoping for an illiterate buck to come your way.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

the differance between beer nut and deer nuts... beer nuts are 1.25 and deer nuts are under a buck. :D okay i'll go sticker wood now or something :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Just be sure to keep those stickers lined up, even though your hands are froze  ;D. 

WmFritz

Quote from: Jeff on November 18, 2014, 06:21:23 PM
Tonight was the most fun I have had in a deer blind in years. No shooter buck, but a nice sized spike horn was making it really interesting trying to round up a doe that didn't want to have anything to do with him. Lots of chasing and deer going every which way. I kept hoping I'd see a keeper come creeping in along the woodline, but it got dark on me and they were still playing their snowdeer games tonight! What fun when You have no idea how many deer you saw in an evening.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you's hunting our place Boss. The snow came so hard all week, along with the cold (13°f as I'm typing), that the deer have begun yarding up here.  Up till last week, we had the same couple Does visiting. Since the weather hit, the deer have been coming in up to nine at a time. No  Bucks though. Not even on the trail cams at night.

Had a good laugh on my youngest brother Monday morning though.
He came in for breakfast about 10:00, grabbed a coffee and sits down with me at the table. "Nuttin,'' I asked?

"Nope,'' he answers. ''Just three black squirrels on the corn feeder... oh, and a wild cat.''

''Wait a minute. A wild cat?''

''Yea, you know... a  wild house cat. It came creaping in on its belly like it was stalking them squirrells. But, the squirrels seen it, ran up to the very tops of the trees and started chirping up a storm. Then the cat took off running. Funny though...''

''What's that?''

''His tail was cut off. It was only this long.'' (He holds his thumb and forefinger apart to show me.)

''You Goofball, that was a Bobcat. You didn't take a picture?''

''Why would I take a picture of a house cat? Bobcats are bigger.''

''Well, do you think a foot of snow may hide some of his height?''

Deep thought for a second and then; ''oh yea... I didn't think of that!''

I pulled a picture off Google and he lit right up. ''That's it! That's the same cat!''

Some people belong back in the city.   ;D ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Not in the snow, but I watched a bobcat stalk and catch a squirrel one morning.  Many exciting things that we see while deer hunting has nothing to do with deer.

sandhills

I've probably said this before but more times than not I wished I had a camera instead of a gun, it's fun watching nature when nature may or may not know you're there.

Ron Scott

I had a pair of bald eagles flying over me at tree top level last Saturday morning.One of them landed in a nearby tree while the one flew around. I watched them for awhile until they left and flew around the nearby lake which they must have been hunting on. Hopefully they have a nest nearby and I will be seeing them some more.

They were very colorful among the snowy tree tops and freezing lake.
~Ron

Jeff

A new adventure this morning. Can you tell what it was?

Hilltop366

At first I was going to say changing the door pins and bushings but probably not at the camp, a better guess would be your doors froze shut or you locked your keys inside the truck.

Jeff

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 19, 2014, 11:33:59 AM
you locked your keys inside the truck.

with it running and the cabin locked. I had a hidden cabin key, but a spare truck key is a couple hundred miles away,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

How did you get in?  say_what

beenthere

See that flatbar and block of wood on top above the door?   8)

Don't ask Burlkraft and Gary_C how I know.. :o
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thank You Sponsors!