iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple of noob homebrew bandwheel questions

Started by fallenoak, December 12, 2014, 08:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallenoak

i could cry, rag and bone/ scrap metal collection wagon just rolled past my house wiith some sorta trolley in the back, looked like it was rolling on 14" cast wheels with a solid rubber tyre on them. couldnt get out to ask about them as i was watching the kids and the missus refused cos she was doing her hair.

if i had a shovel and a bag of lime shed be under the patio by now  8)

eddif

This is a family forum.  Be nice.   One of the greatest videos is a family milling. It is like a ballet.  Norwood mill I believe .

eddif

hackberry jake

Get yourself a cheap craigslist shop bandsaw and put a 1/2" three tooth per inch blade on it and make some jigs for sawing rough logs. You will be way ahead of the game. It will also be cheaper in the long run because you won't have to buy blades for the bike wheels contraption thing...
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

eddif

If you go to a heavy duty homemade bandsaw:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/homemade-industrial-band-saw-zmaz83ndzale.aspx?SlideShow=5

This is the slideshow part of the article at Mother Earth magazine.  This thing is made of 4" pipe; it is heavy duty.   This uses car tires.

eddif

Swatson

This is my first rig, with the five hp electric I cut a lot of wood with it but it was slow

This is my second with the diesel.   It cuts faster and can handle much wider stuff and the blade stays sharper longer

The small electric cut good boards, it was just a very slow process.  The diesel cuts good boards and it is much quicker.  The bottom line is just what you are comfortable with and what skills you have that you can use. 

I tried to make my first bandmill about 12 years ago.  It was a failure, I did not have the skills to make it work.  I acquired a few new skills in the mean time and tried it again two years ago and it worked.

I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Thank You Sponsors!