iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

Found my lucky horseshoe! :D

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer is picking up some more timbers for his timber frame shed.

two 8x8x16s and one 7x8x14 and one 5x7x12.
We used a board and a roller to slide them into his truck on his load extender. He borrowed the board and a roller so he can roll them out of his truck when he gets home.
Good luck Dan.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Lawg Dawg

Good looking lumber Jim, hope your staying hydrated ;D

Sawin batton strips to finsh a wall on my barn

Now sho sugi bon

Hot job on first of July :D
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

paul case

That will add some awesome character!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Banjo picker

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on July 01, 2018, 09:36:10 AM
Found my lucky horseshoe! :D

Looks like that might be a mule shoe.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Lawg Dawg

Been sawin batton strips to finsh this wall of my barn, this structure I built only 2 years ago, burnt every board on the siding before I put them up. When I get it finished, this will be my SLAB SHOWROOM!

Live edge poplar stair stringers leading to the loft

Even made a later to get up in the cupola

It's 40' wide x 36' long

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

I got out late this afternoon and finished sawing the walnut I brought in yesterday. Bucked off a small 8' log and sawed it into 4/4 then sawed the remaining 30" crotch into LE 4/4 then sawed the rest into 1" cookies. About 77 bf total.

Small log for boards

Sawed the crotch into 1" live edge.

Sawed rest of the tops into 1" thick cookies. Hardest part is holding them up to clamp them. Piece of cake with 2 people.

Cookies, boards and crotches

Crotches actually turned out nicer than expected for such a small piece.

Looked up and had this doe about 10 yards away. I think she was headed to the horse salt block next to the end of the mill.

She was more worried about the Aussie than me. Never got very scared of either of us.

Went in to take a shower and found 2 more does beside by fence in the front yard. Had a doe and 2 fawns by my truck earlier today. Had a small bear about 50 yards from the porch last night but Sampson, my 13 lb rat terrier, who is scared of a rabbit chased it off. Never a dull moment in WV.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

You are on a roll Howard, and I'll predict that those cookies will do fine.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lawg Dawg

NIce walnut WV SAWMILLER, you should do good with those. Where bouts in WV are you? I used to go up for opening day of riffle season deer hunting in Upsher County.  All the sawmills and barns I'd see up there made me get into the sawmilling business. Beautiful State!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WV Sawmiller

Dawg,

I am in the southern part of the state. I am located about halfway between I-77 & I-64 where they run together in Beckley and north of Princeton/Bluefield. Next This week will be 28 years we have been here. My wife took the HS Band director job here and came up and bought the place while I was working in Saudi. I had never been in the state. Came home on R&R, moved the family in and left her to handle all the closing and paperwork and such. We love it here but it does take some getting used to.

Our daughter lives down in Charlotte which does not look to be too far from you. We make several trips a year down to see her.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 01, 2018, 10:18:42 PM
Dawg,

I am in the southern part of the state. I am located about halfway between I-77 & I-64 where they run together in Beckley and north of Princeton/Bluefield. Next This week will be 28 years we have been here. My wife took the HS Band director job here and came up and bought the place while I was working in Saudi. I had never been in the state. Came home on R&R, moved the family in and left her to handle all the closing and paperwork and such. We love it here but it does take some getting used to.

Our daughter lives down in Charlotte which does not look to be too far from you. We make several trips a year down to see her.
Cool! Come on down and see me, I'm straight down74 to Monroe then on 601 to151 in SC. I'll try to line up a 10x10x16' white oak job, that you could help me with :D. Just kidding of course, but I'll take them how they come!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Brad_bb

Sawed two sides of this Cherry this week.  This will definitely be a post in a frame.  I can see people polishing the knob from touching it as they pass by over the years.  My milling partner mugging as usual.  The knob is a healed over missing branch.  Art in nature.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WV Sawmiller

Brad,

those knobs, knots and crotches are what really add to the live edge sawing.  Whether on a beam, board or a cookie that odd feature is what keeps life interesting and sets people to talking. I hope that cherry finds a happy forever home.
Howard Green

rjwoelk

That burnt wood looks really good. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Bruno of NH

Dawg
Do you use a finish over the burnt wood ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Bruno of NH on July 02, 2018, 04:42:48 PM
Dawg
Do you use a finish over the burnt wood ?
Nope Bruno, the burning is the finish. This southern yellow pine when you burn it, you can see the rosin boil up on the surface and makes a seal. Also bugs don't eat burnt wood.  I like this better than paint or stain, because later on when I add on all I need is a propane torch to match the original finish.  No searching for old paint or stain cans. But also, the wood needs to be fairly dry to get a good burn in. And it does give the barn a simple aged look, which I very much like.

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WDH

Whatcha Planin'?

Curly, quartersawn white oak. 

What you see here is not ray fleck, it is the curl.  The ray fleck is between the curl.

Brad, this is the stuff that I talked with on the phone about 6 months ago :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

It once again emphasizes why I often grab the camera and take pictures of pretty/unusual lumber.  I have to tell the customer that this is the only time that I will ever see it. ;) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

A lot of nice wood coming out these days. My mill has pretty much been parked through June except for a couple of custom cuts for the house repairs. July could be a busy month though, the phones been ringing with a lot of tire kickers. Should get a couple more takers soon enough. In the meantime, it gives me time to work on the house getting it ready to sell.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

mike_belben

Quote from: Brad_bb on July 02, 2018, 01:33:26 AM
Sawed two sides of this Cherry this week.  This will definitely be a post in a frame.  I can see people polishing the knob from touching it as they pass by over the years.  My milling partner mugging as usual.  The knob is a healed over missing branch.  Art in nature.

The more bark i peel the more inclined i am to frame the house entirely of round timbers.  Ive already learned to toss the T-square.  Maybe even the tape measure too.  Its a nice feeling when i can look at a naked log in the pile and remember which tree it was. Hard to say that of lumber.

I have a growing collection of gnarly 4" DBH hollow and knobby sourwood stems for handrails.  More and more what draws me to it is that everyone but the honey bees swears the stuff is trash.  Im beginning to treasure it. 
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Went up late morning to cut another walnut heart that has been standing about 50 yards from one of my shooting houses. At one point I even had a deer feeder hung from this walnut. I have no idea how long it has been dead. Almost no sapwood left. I found a small poplar had fallen across it and had to cut and pull it out before cutting the walnut. I hooked a cable to it and my ATV to help guide it but did not cut my front notch deep enough and it shifted right a little and hung on the stump. With great effort I managed to then get my saw hung and finally had to go get my splitting maul and thick steel wedges to get it out and all the way down. The wood is absolutely gorgeous. I bucked off a 10' log, about 16-18 ft upper I will likely cut that into 2-3 pieces before sawing and 3-4 limbs and tops for cookies. We got a late afternoon shower preventing me from getting the log arch up there with the ATV so I pulled the logs and tops down with the ATV, cable and snatch block. Now they are all in the pasture and accessible with the JD750 so may drag them down and saw them tomorrow.

Long dead walnut snag with small dead poplar to clear first.

After hanging the saw and way too much effort the tree is finally down. Beautiful wood though.
Howard Green

Ianab

Nice winter day here. Rain has stopped. Tractor has been fixed. Time to go and cut some logs. There are just some scrappy ornamental conifers that have been taken down as part of a general tidy up, Arizona Cypress I think. Don't know if it's much use for anything, but these are big enough to pass as saw logs, so on to the mill with em  ;D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Nice recovery Howard and Ian.  Now on to sawin'.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!