iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briankinley2004

Quote from: olcowhand on January 26, 2019, 05:17:13 PM
Jim & Lynn,
Great stuff from our history. I bet that Water Pipe from the 1600s had nice tight rings and was well preserved. How do we think they bored the holes? How long were the sections of pipe? I'm a sucker for historical references, and I found these replies very interesting.
Thanks for including, and Lynn- I never get tired of reading this post; even though I'm not a real sawyer....
Steve
The pictures Lynn posted appear to be pipe made from staves like a barrel would be made. Thus a hole wouldn't be drilled. As for the cookie picture I would like to know as well. It doesn't appear to be a natural hollow log unless the water going through it for years made it appear drilled. 

Brad_bb

OffGrid, Good job Bibbying that cedar down to size and getting the rest of those milled up.  What is the throat opening (distance between the guides fully open) on the LT10?  It's 24.5 on the LT15.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: olcowhand on January 26, 2019, 05:17:13 PM
Jim & Lynn,
Great stuff from our history. I bet that Water Pipe from the 1600s had nice tight rings and was well preserved. How do we think they bored the holes? How long were the sections of pipe? I'm a sucker for historical references, and I found these replies very interesting.
Thanks for including, and Lynn- I never get tired of reading this post; even though I'm not a real sawyer....
Steve
Steve:
Ted said he tried to count the rings, and lost his place at 175.
That means that tree started growing sometime around Columbus' time.
The pieces were solid when the dug them up. Since they've been out in the air they started cracking.
I found one image of a water pipe auger but if you do a google search for wooden water pipes and click on images you will see a lot more wooden water pipes.
Ted had one end of a piece where they reduced it down to a narrow point so it could slide into the butt end of another to connect them. He said some pieces they pulled up were at least 10 or 12' long.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on January 25, 2019, 10:45:06 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

I have never been to a Cardiologist before nor been told that I needed to see one.  I have done much reading since Monday so I can assure everyone that I will listen and obey.  I don't have a problem with exercise, but there is a lack of aerobic exercise, especially during July and August and also during the Winter months.  :-\

Right now I just gotta wait until Monday so see what da man says about the plaque in my LAD.

Dang Lynn, do take care.

Did a little sawing Saturday. Some 4/4 and 1" x6"x13' oak.

Had to call it a day. Started having shoulder problems.

DWyatt

Had a balmy 15° day yesterday to saw up 3 red maple logs with Dad. This was only the second time using the Woodmizer and man this thing is a heck of an improvement over the manual mill! From the time I pulled in with the tractor on the trailer till the time we backed the mill back in the barn was exactly 2 hours. 250 bf with 2 blades. I must've thought it was time to change the first blade about half way through the second log because I backed it right into the slab that I hadn't removed yet, causing it to go bouncing around inside the covers. ::) Overall I was very happy with how the saw performed! The lumber went straight into the kiln because I have someone who wants a bedroom suit made! Here's a few pictures from the day.

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Chuck White

Quote from: DWyatt on January 28, 2019, 09:59:49 AM
Had a balmy 15° day yesterday to saw up 3 red maple logs with Dad. This was only the second time using the Woodmizer and man this thing is a heck of an improvement over the manual mill! From the time I pulled in with the tractor on the trailer till the time we backed the mill back in the barn was exactly 2 hours. 250 bf with 2 blades. I must've thought it was time to change the first blade about half way through the second log because I backed it right into the slab that I hadn't removed yet, causing it to go bouncing around inside the covers. ::) Overall I was very happy with how the saw performed! The lumber went straight into the kiln because I have someone who wants a bedroom suit made! Here's a few pictures from the day.

I know a lot of people don't do it (I do), but in the book (my book anyways) it says to disengage the blade before backing.
Doing so can save ruining a blade!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

E-Tex

DWyatt....that is some pretty lumber.  Love that last pic.  Nice job!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on January 23, 2019, 08:59:41 AMI had planned to travel Sunday evening and be ready to saw Monday morning but a Monday AM appointment with my Cardiologist has delayed my plans for a bit. I now plan to tow the mill, park it, see the Dr., and then complete the remaining 175 miles. move_it
I did see the Cardiologist this morning as planned.  He has me wearing a Holter Monitor for 48 hours, I am scheduled for an Echo Cardiogram on the 13th, and a Cardio PET scan on the 14th.  He wanted me to continue my normal activities so I am now set up on my "road trip" logs and ready for tomorrow.

He said about 100 logs and believe that his count is correct.

Do those two whacks of logs make my sawmill look little??  :o  Seen in the background are townhouses built using the timbers that I sawed last year.

The cut list will be as many 12X12's a possible and with an equal number of 6X12's.  8X8's and with an equal number of 4X8's.  The remainder will be sawn into 4X6's.

I should have a machine(?) and two tailgunners helping.  I said (?) because I don't know whether it will be a loader or an excavator with a thumb.  Doesn't matter with me, just bring me a log and haul off the timber.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

be sure and keep a journal of your activity.  If you hit a hunk of metal and ruin a blade, it would be normal for your heart rate to jump up a bit! lol  .  good luck.  That pile makes your truck look small.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

What if the Dr comes back and says you need to get out and walk more? Are you going to ditch the mill seat? :D :D :D We are all hoping and praying for and expecting a very good report.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Quote from: Magicman on January 28, 2019, 06:43:49 PM

Do those two whacks of logs make my sawmill look little??  :o    

MM.  If you get a chance, Have someone get a pic of you next to that pile of logs.  We can let you know if that whack makes your butt look big!!! smiley_blue_bounce
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Actually Howard, most of these are 20'+ so the seat will have to go anyway.  He only needs 10' timbers but if the log will make a 20' that is what I will saw because there will only be one log setup.  Some of them will be bucked back to 10 to maximize his yield.  'Nother words, every log will have to stand for itself.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Well now, that pile of logs should give the Doc something to look at. Take care of yourself...
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

I gots ta try da old pumper out and see if it is still up to speed.  Maybe I can knock a screw loose in this Holter Monitor.  :D

WV Sawmiller

I did not know the seat interfered with full length/long cuts like that. Maybe the Dr and customer are in cahoots. Be careful and stay safe. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

I've been wondering if a walk along mill would be good exercise for me or is that a dumb idea.  Will stay tuned.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Howard, the seat takes 2' of the rail space so with the seat installed it will only saw 18½'.  To saw longer than that the seat is removed and it becomes a walk along.  No big deal to remove it, loosen two bolts and lift it off, but I appreciate help doing it.  It's more cumbersome than heavy.

doc henderson

studies of the Amish show that significant outdoor activity does confer cardiovascular health.  It used to be said it had to be aerobic ect. ect.  i walk about 6 miles a day at work.  Running 6 miles only burns a few more calories than walking, but you get done faster.  it is sure better for you than setting on your bum!  Keep up the good work gents.  God speed Magic man.

terrifictimbersllc

Compared to a remote mill where you stand at one end.

I sawed 60 logs today probably avg 12 cuts each x 20 paces that would be 14400 yards or 8 miles if I walked if I got that right.  But I stood at one end.  I did walk some but not that much.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Thanks for the lesson. I will consider it my new fact for the day. The bad part is I always say my mental hard drive is full and for me to learn something new I have to dump some of the memory that was there and it could be something important so if I forget my wife's birthday the middle of next month now you know who I am going to blame. :D
Howard Green

Magicman

My "motorcycle" knee will not allow me to stand still for any length of time.  I can walk or ride a bicycle OK, but no standing.  I can assure you that even with the sawmill seat, I do much walking every saw day.

Magicman

Forgetting birthdays is no big deal, just don't make the mistake and stump your toe on Valentine Day.  I'll have my Cardio PET scan done beginning at 9:45 on the 14th, so I should be done in time to take PatD out to lunch.  :D

doc henderson

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 28, 2019, 09:30:25 PM
Lynn,

Thanks for the lesson. I will consider it my new fact for the day. The bad part is I always say my mental hard drive is full and for me to learn something new I have to dump some of the memory that was there and it could be something important so if I forget my wife's birthday the middle of next month now you know who I am going to blame. :D
WV.  You have prob. forgotten more than many young people will ever know.  As long as you are not forgetting 3 things for every new one you learn, I think you are doin OK.   franken-smiley

WV Sawmiller

They tell me your memory is the second thing to go and I can't remember what the first one was. :D

Lynn,

I try to find the Valentine's Birthday cards since her birthday is the 15th and kill 2 birds with one stone. I always get her roses. Last 2 years worked out we had a retired teacher's luncheon on her birthday at our local "bistro" across the road from the florist so I have been able to get them delivered there at lunch.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!