iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

EOTE, I have never seen anything like that but you should be able to find that tooth with the unaided eye.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

looks like it cut strait from what I can see.  should be able to hear a little noise as that passes over the band wheels.  check the weld area to make sure it is flat as well.  send us a pic when you find it!  good luck.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Agree that looks more like a single tooth that got whacked rather than a mis-set band. Could have happened anywhere along the process, even entering the log.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Deese

Quote from: Ruffgear on March 05, 2019, 07:40:52 AM
Deese, what's the size of that mantle? You're a busy man!!
Not sure which one you're referring to.  The one that's sitting on the table all cleaned up with the tung oil on it maybe?  Heck I really cannot remember. Customer found it in a burn pile on Maxwell Air Force Base and it was bone dry.  I typically cut oversize mantles from my own logs and stack them. Customer picks one out and we throw it back on the mill and start trimming it down until customer likes what he/she sees. They absolutely love the experience and are usually gleaming with excitement when we're done.  It's easier to charge more that way too.  ;D
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

olcowhand

"anybody with initials CA need a branding iron head?  "
Doc,
For that cool brand, maybe I'll change my name; I'm thinking something cool, like "Cal Armstrong", or maybe "Conner Abernathy"? :D
Nah, I'll wait for one that says "SS".
God bless you for the work you're doing with the Scouts.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

doc henderson

thanks ol cow hand.  just took some 1/2" CRS plate and a got set up on a plasma table and made a couple dozen.  their might be a couple loggers, sawyers or foresters in that group.  cheers!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

Inbound alder and pine today....

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

Rob,   :o

Those bolsters look more like I am accustomed to seeing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

Tomorrow I will take a pic of how they fold- pretty neat.

WV Sawmiller

What's the alder used for? I always think of it as a very small shrubby tree and used for smoker wood on all the Alaska shows. Never thought of it getting big enough for lumber.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

With those logs coming in you had better be putting your building britches on.  8)

Ianab

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 05, 2019, 06:36:19 PM
  What's the alder used for? I always think of it as a very small shrubby tree and used for smoker wood on all the Alaska shows. Never thought of it getting big enough for lumber.
There's about 2 dozen different species of Alder. That would be Western Red Alder, which grows into a respectable tree. Wood is a light coloured softer hardwood, but can be used for furniture and musical instruments as well as more utility stuff.  Probably comparable to soft maple or Tulip Poplar? 
Other species are smaller and in a cold climate probably not much more than shrubs. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tule peak timber

Alder wood....

<b

I like building with alder. I live in the desert and it grows around water so when I can ,,,I grab it .

tule peak timber

Quote from: Ianab on March 05, 2019, 07:04:46 PM
There's about 2 dozen different species of Alder. That would be Western Red Alder, which grows into a respectable tree. Wood is a light coloured softer hardwood, but can be used for furniture and musical instruments as well as more utility stuff.  Probably comparable to soft maple or Tulip Poplar?
Other species are smaller and in a cold climate probably not much more than shrubs.
I build a lot with this too.Manzanita and redshank ! Only 3-4 inches in diameter.

randy d

I have used Tag Alder for smoking fish  mostly suckers and northern pike it works good nice mild smoke. Randy 

AZ_builder

Alder is what I built my cabinet faces out of and my interior doors. Manzanita makes great table legs with mesquite or juniper slab tops. Small juniper makes very strong table legs too.

Farm29

Picked up some pecan logs from a friend down the road I think it looks like walnut but I have not been around fresh cut pecan and he swears he's picked up pecans around it for the 35 years they have live there.  ???

What do you all think

Either way looking forward to cracking them open he also had a white elm I'll prolly go back and get 
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Magicman

Yes, saw it and I think that you will find out why Pecan is a smiley_devil.    :D

Southside

I think @WDH  will come on here shortly and tell you that you have a trailer full of ash logs.... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Farm29

That's what I hear so I guess I'll find out 
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Lawg Dawg

White Oak, how about this for a woodshop? Yey or Ney?

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Crossroads

Those alder doors are very nice! Good work. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WDH

Alder logs don't have ash bark :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Farm29, just looking at the bark & log ends, I would have said Walnut too, but pecans don't grow on Walnut trees without some serious grafting.  Yes, it will be interesting to crack them open.

Lawg Dawg:  Yes.  :)

doc henderson

LD, are you asking about white oak, or the building for a work shop.  Both look great.  How did you get that square cant out of that round log with out cutting it open?  

Thank You Sponsors!