iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Guilty until proven innocent!   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

I had just enough daylight remaining to saw some 2x10's yesterday after work. An 'ole knotty pine log that had some nice color in it. The knots contrast nicely with the dark stained sapwood. Perfect way to end a Wednesday.

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Delawhere Jack

More stinkin' walnut. 29" not counting the vines, 10' long....  Don't know why you guys get so excited over it. Frankly, I'm getting a little bored with it...... NOT!!  :D

bags

Good look'in color in that timber Deese--- folks around here cant get enough of the blue stain boards.

Darrel

I didn't get much sawn today, just a couple more pieces of black oak for the small farm table because I didn't cut quite enough the other day.

More importantly, I did get a chance to lay on my back in the grass and look up through the branches.

I had to go up to our property to get the black oak and still too much mud and snow there to even think about laying down on the ground and I sure don't want to take my mill there yet. It would turn into a mudmizer.  :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

longtime lurker

With apologies to Dr Seuss:

One pack two pack, red pack other red pack.

Yesterday's ARC log turned into something special, and one packs as good as another... it's all that good, and a lot of it's better. The wooly look is compression grain - it'll be heavily fiddlebacked where she's hairy. By next week it'll be deep mahogany in colour with gold flashing.

Now the real question is why can't I buy logs that cut like that? I'll get the colour, I get the grain but never both at one time.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

fishfighter

Now that is sweet looking. ;D

Spring has show up again here. We are set to have upper 70's to lower 80's for the next week. After that, I'm sure summer will show up. :D

Oh, I had ran across a ad for cypress logs. The fellow wants .85 a BF. I have no idea what a fair market value is. Anybody have an idea what cypress logs go for? I would have to go pick them up too! I'm only looking for a few logs, so keep that in mine.

WDH

Longtime,

Now, that is fine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: fishfighter on March 17, 2017, 06:59:08 AMOh, I had ran across a ad for cypress logs. The fellow wants .85 a BF. I have no idea what a fair market value is. Anybody have an idea what cypress logs go for?
I have no idea.  The closest that I have ever come to buying logs was when a guy had too many Cypress logs for his need, and I wanted some Cypress lumber.  I sawed them on halves.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

Sawed out a mantle for a friend the other day from a white oak blowdown.  He wanted something pretty massive.  This is 5 1/2 x 9 x 7ft.  He wants to keep the bark on.  Good luck with that.

We had a little freezing rain and a lot of wind a couple days and I lost some trees and big limbs.  If I can finish cleaning up the yard I plan to buck this 18" WP.  The only use I've found for the WP that grows here is paneling. 

HM126

Magicman

It looks good, but he will need some support to hold that mantel up.   :o

btulloh

You are correct, sir.  He has a good grasp on that, as far as I can tell.

I also explained about the drying process.  I hope he got that message.  I'm afraid he'll go ahead and put it up green.  It would be hard to find a worse place for a green hunk o' wood.  We'll just have to see if he waits the required quarter century.  You can lead a horse to water . . .
HM126

Magicman

I would put it up green hoping for the best but with the realization that it may have to come down for resurfacing.   ;D

btulloh

Well, he wants it rustic. 

HM126

Magicman

Who knows, that bark might hold and it will be worth the try.

btulloh

I expect we'll find out.  He has a reasonable degree of latitude in his expectations, so whatever happens will be acceptable.  Cambium edge looks good too.
HM126

paul case

I sawed a mantle piece about like that one for a customer once. I told him it would probably split being that it had the heart in it. He hollowed out the inside of it from the back with a chainsaw leaving a 1.5'' on the top and bottom . It dried fine and didnt split. Bark hanging on is sort of a shot in the dark.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

drobertson

The thought occurred to me in regards to slipping bark,  now I'm not sure bout the WO bark holding its integrity once  it slips,  but I have some hickory that slipped, I use it for smoking, but a few weeks back I slipped it back on, just curious I guess, but thought  would it be possible to glue it back on once things have normalized? Just a thought,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Fil-Dill

Any truth to the old tale that a live tree cut in the dead of winter will hold its bark? Haven't been around long enough to test this.
EZ boardwalk 40

drobertson

From what I've noticed, timing is critical, but it seems like timber that has died standing will hold bark better than fresh fell live timber, regardless of the time of year, just no proof, it is very interesting,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fishfighter

Got a live oak slab that was cut from a branch that is 22" wide x 4" thick. Sawed that about two years ago and it still holding on to the bark. Got it sitting on some cinder blocks as a bench on my patio. Everybody that comes wants to take it home. Told them if they can lift it by their self, it's theirs. DanG thing has got to weigh in over 200lbs easy. :D No takes yet.

:D

The slab is under those boards.

longtime lurker

We had a regular customer for a while ( since deceased) who used to do a lot of " bark on" live edge tabletops, mantelpieces etc.

What he actually did was carve and paint " bark" onto the live edge. Looked really cool, I wish we had of bought some of his work. He had a whole range of ways to get different bark effects ranging from beating it with chain to gouging with an angle grinder or detail work with a Dremel.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

longtime lurker

Last shot of the ARC before it left today. The slab got some afternoon sun when I was called away from the mill Friday so you can kinda see where this stuff will go for colour.

Don't mean to bore y'all with this, but you guys get it: really great boards don't just come along every day.
I expect the customer will be pleased, I know I'm going to be a little bit sad it's gone.

Kbeitz

That's gotta be one of the neatest boards ever posted on this forum.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SlowJoeCrow

That wood is fantastic...as well as that green grass!!

Thank You Sponsors!