iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorcalMatt

The first of many Doug Firs to be loaded!  This one and some friends were  scavenged from a neighbor after his logger left these.

DWyatt

First time posting!

Here's some white oak my dad and I cut up last weekend. This was our first time quartersawing and first time sawing live edge crotch wood. I only wish I would have read more before we quartersawed the log because now I'm ready to drop another tree to test out the RRQS technique I have obsessed over lately! The tree was from our property that has quite a few old growth white oak (swamp oak of some sort I believe). The base log maxed our mill and tractor out and had to be pared down to even fit through the mill. We ended up with 5 - 10' logs, the largest of which produced 25" boards, out of the tree and the lumber will be used to make the kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanity in my shouse (shop house) I am in the process of building. The last photo shows the lumber produced from 2 of the 5 logs cut from the tree.

Side note, Thank You all so much for the vast amount of knowledge you all share. Seriously, you all have been a trusted source of information through our amateur milling and drying hobby.  I'll be sure to drop some pictures of my future endeavors and my woodworking adventures, which I am much more confident with!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, DWyatt and Congratulations on the quality time spent with your Dad.  Nice lumber too.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Skipper11A

DWyatt's got the quarter sawing bug on his first post! Seems like he skipped the foreplay.

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: thecfarm on March 21, 2018, 07:04:08 PM
DbltreeBelgians,do your log stops go straight up and down?
If so I put inch marks on mine. 3 inches is really 4 inch on the ruler,4 inches is 5 on the ruler,5 inches is really 6 on the ruler and so on.
So if I am cutting flitches,I set my log stops at 3 and the ruler at 4 I know, I have an inch to spare. Much easier than guessing on the heights. This way I can go high and hold the flitches in place better.
No Ray they don't. When I built it I wasn't sure how I was going to tie them together to run them straight up and down so I made them pivot. So wish I would've put a little more thought into it and made them vertical. 
I actually swung the log stop into the blade while the mill head was stationary because I didn't gig back far enough. As you can see they pivot up and towards the front of mill right into the line fire. My mistake, lesson  learned. No biggie. Time to finish this box of blades and order up some Kasco's from member Cutting Edge.

Brent

Crossroads

What I thought was going to be a short day turned into a full day with some leftovers for today. Went from 2 offbearers to 1 and went from cutting 2x6, 2x4 to 3/4x6 fence boards. There are a lot of fence boards in a 32"x12' spruce log! The 7° Did work better than the 4 especially on the narrow cuts. I had 1 new 7 left, it worked very well and I was able to push it pretty hard, but t when I put on a resharp blade, I had to slow down quite a bit to avoid the knot dodger waves. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Jeff

I waded over the residual snow bank yesterday and lifted the cover on the new engine on the wood-mizer. I turned the key, and hit the start button. It cranked right over. I ran the gas out of it last fall so I didn't try to actually start it. All is looking good for my spring expedition to the U.P. to saw cedar. Problem is, my log pile up there is still under snow. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SawyerTed

An artist who has some cedar from Ocracoke Island she salvaged from a lot being cleared called earlier in the week.  She asked if I could mill short logs.  I told her I could without a clue on how to do it!

A search of this forum got me to several threads and photos of jigs some of you have made to saw short logs.  I believe this will be something I'm asked to do with some frequency.

So I made and tested my version.

Hy
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

garre1tt

Thank you for posting the pictures of your jig.  I have a fellow coming over tomorrow to cut some 19" length 22" diameter black walnut. I will fix up the jig this afternoon.
Woodmizer LT 40, 1900 Linn Lumber Band mill, massey ferguson 245 tractor, Stihl 084,066,036,370,290,018
Past owner of WoodBug CSM, Alaskan CSM,1900 Linn Lumber Band mill, Lucus 6-18 Stihl 064, Stihl 084

SawyerTed

I used a 2x10 placed vertically against the log stops and resting on the bunks beside the jig to make the initial cuts.  This is what I clamped the log against to make the first couple of cuts.  Then I flipped the log over and removed the 2x10 and made remaining cuts.  That's what is pictured.

There is a notch in the horizontal board to allow the clamp to move closer than the edge of the board if necessary.  

Some sacrifice the vertical 2x piece by just sawing through it.  I preferred not to do it that way.  

Notice there are blocks attached to the bottom of the horizontal board that rest against the bunks.   This makes sure the jig just drops in place, it won't slide or twist.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Bruno of NH

Was running out of inventory of 2" pine slabs and had a customer coming next week for 6.
Had some good logs for slabs in the mill yard so I cut up 22 of them today.
I haven't had time to put the new 22hp on the mill yet.
Old faithful 13hp did the job :) 
One picture shows how I turn the big logs with a strap and old peavy hook.
I pull it around with tractor forks.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

That's some awesome looking pine Bruno!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Resonator

Beautiful sunny spring day for sawing, was warm enough to run straight water through the lube tank. Sawed up some 4/4 boards out of what I'm pretty sure is White Ash. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Dave Shepard

I concur on white ash. You can enter the log faster. Those washboards will go away.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

SawyerTed,

I hope you are charging by the hour or by the job because you aren't going to cut a lot of bf on those small pieces. They are pretty though. I am sure your customer was happy. Tell her next time to bring you 8' longs and cut them after you make boards out of them. :D

Part of being a sawyer is being creative and proving a service the customer can't get anywhere else and you do us proud. 8)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ncsawyer

Sawed up some cypress I acquired free of charge.  Had a customer want 1x live edge stuff for his cnc machine to make signs.  Ended up with some nice 20in live edge boards.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Magicman

Good looking Pine slabs there Bruno.  It's nice to see you staying ahead of your customers.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I don't quiet know what it is that makes me like Cypress, ncsawyer, but it warms my heart.  I just love it even though the sawdust will clog the chute and the bark is stringy. 

I talked with the customer today and I am scheduled to saw some Mississippi River Sinker Cypress on the 31st.

Crossroads

Had a better day today, had a couple logs added to the pile for more fence boards. The butt cut was pretty clean, so I was able to push it a little more. 
https://youtu.be/2O5IV9ntgD8
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SawyerTed

WV What I cut today was a test piece of hickory firewood.  The cedar job will be an hourly job.  I plan on a small charge for the special clamping jig.  I don't expect her to pay for the total cost as I already have a couple more requests for short milling.  I suppose I have to find a niche and this may be one.  I'm trying to make connections with individuals who can become repeat customers or who can refer me to others who might become repeat customers.

This lady salvaged the cedar from Ocracoke Island after it was already cut into firewood lengths.  I'm sure she loaded them in her car to bring them to the mainland on the ferry and hauled them 200+ miles home. If you aren't familiar with Ocracoke, it is a very special place for some of us, so the cedar isn't high value but for where it is from. 

I also got an order for 28 lathe turning blanks from a school.  They wanted inexpensive blanks for the beginning students.  Their request was for 6"x6"x6" blanks.  I cut them from a 6x6x14' poplar much as you have suggested.  I charged them by the piece because the students are paying for them.  

I'm just starting in this business and while I don't have to take every job that comes along, I'm doing some things to "get my foot in the door." 

I'm very appreciative of the members on this forum and the work y'all have done.  All I had to do was search for a solution here and I got several good ideas.

ncsawyer

Quote from: Magicman on March 22, 2018, 09:08:31 PM
I don't quiet know what it is that makes me like Cypress, ncsawyer, but it warms my heart.  I just love it even though the sawdust will clog the chute and the bark is stringy.  

I talked with the customer today and I am scheduled to saw some Mississippi River Sinker Cypress on the 31st.
Sounds like a fun job.  Never have cut any sinker logs, but have heard others say the sand in the logs is hard on blades.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

SawyerTed

Quote from: Magicman on March 22, 2018, 09:08:31 PM
I don't quiet know what it is that makes me like Cypress, ncsawyer, but it warms my heart.  .
I'm with you Magicman.  ncsawyer, that's some beautiful cypress! 

Magicman

Sometimes they are what they are and here is one of them.  This baby is ~40 feet long and looks ragged but it should have some good stuff especially in the center cuts.  Even those ends will yield some unique boards that she can use.  Not the cow but the customer.

BTW, that log had to be moved because everything that you see is now under water from the Mighty Mississippi carrying all of that Glaciated Frozen North to the Gulf of Mexico.  ;D

starmac

Oh wow, that would not even be looked at for firewood around here.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

BigZ La

I had one sawed a few years ago I found back on the river by the house. I got over 1100 bft  out of it. It was all pecky, some really bad but a friend used some to make a gun cabinet and it came out nice. I have another one to go get if it doesn't float away this rise. I'm sure hoping it doesn't. 

Thank You Sponsors!