Deese

Haha yes sir it has been a while  :)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

coxy

this is an odd question  has anyone ever done a wall with curved wood like in Deese pics but cut off the live edge if some has would they care to post a pic  thanks

WV Sawmiller

Went up to my son's house and sawed 3 small logs (2 WO & 1 curved RO) into 2" live edge slabs for benches and a couple of small pieces for leg stock (Approximately 3" square). Left one slab 4-1/8" thick because it looked like it wanted to be a fireplace mantel. I just saved it because I did not have any oak mantels in stock and I did not want to split the pith. About 188 bf total. Tried to get a picture of some nice QS flecks but the battery in my camera was dead.

Brought the mill and 12 y/o granddaughter home. Could not pull the mill on my lot to the wash point because everything was too wet. Spun a while and made some new ruts in the grass. Will move it with John or my ATV when it dries up or if the ground freezes

Will bring the trailer and wood and fenders (Oops - I knew forgot something) home tomorrow after gd birthday party.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

Quote from: coxy on February 09, 2018, 05:05:46 PM
this is an odd question  has anyone ever done a wall with curved wood like in Deese pics but cut off the live edge if some has would they care to post a pic  thanks

Not clear what you are asking.  Please be more specific and clear.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: coxy on February 09, 2018, 05:05:46 PM

It can be done with a Jig Saw I suppose but I can't say I've ever seen one.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I took a "draw" on 8Mbf of sawing at noon today, sawed for a couple more hours, and then made the 4 hour trip home.  My production has slowed because the big logs are gone and I am now only sawing 4X6's & a few 4X8's out of the smaller stuff.  The 8Mbf+ is sawing ~4½ days.

As I was leaving a "hauler" was backing in with more logs.

It looked like some were pretty good, and some not so much.

Here is the house where I am staying and I am guessing that I will finish this job next week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Were you wearing my lucky shirt when you sawed that walnut?

:D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

The big beams add up fast, Good job,
Magicman

You know I'm getting the hang of this windows 10, PC.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

From the looks of things at least it's a short morning and evening commute to the saw Magicman. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You ain't got no mailbox.  say_what

Magicman

Yes the house that the customer has rented for his "office" is only two houses away from the sawing site.  I walked "home" to get a sammich today.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Crossroads

That's some nice looking walnut!

I would love to pick up a couple jobs like that MM, but I'd have to call in a vacation at my day job. Which is getting in the way of my milling. I'm scheduled to work 12-12 hr day shifts and 2-12 hr nights before I get another day off :(
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

My milling is my "day" job.  Of course it is a part-time day job but you are correct.  Jobs like this certainly help with the "bookkeeping".   ;D

Jim_Rogers

Tuesday, I finished off a 14' log with a rotten end by cutting it back to 12' 6". And made a 10x10 out of it for a customer. I loaded it and a bunch of boards onto my trailer to deliver just before the snow storm on Wednesday morning.
While warming up the truck that morning, the engine just died. I started it back up again and everything seemed normal. Then it just stopped again. After tying down the load the truck started and I headed out to the gas station.
After the gas station stop I made it about 2 miles down the road and the truck died again. I managed to get it off the road and parked in a safe spot. I waited a bit and then it started again.
I was about to drive off and it died again.

I called the customer and asked if he had a trailer hitch on his truck and could he come and get the trailer and lumber. He said he could.

Right after he left with the trailer heading to his place the AAA ramp truck guy showed up. He asked what was wrong. I told him the battery was dead as I ran it down trying to start the truck.
He put a jumper back on it and it started right up. We couldn't figure out what it was as he said my alternator was putting out plenty of juice.

He asked me what was I going to do? I told him drive two miles to my regular repair shop and have them look at it. He asked if I wanted him to follow me there. I said sure.

I didn't get 100 yards down the road and it died again. So onto the ramp truck it went.

At the repair garage (who was going to close at noon, due to the storm coming) they put a fuel line pressure gauge on it and said my fuel pump was gone. I told them that this would be the third one I had put in if it was.

The next day I went over there to get some tools out of the back of my truck/SUV as I needed them here at the sawmill shop. He had it up on the lift.
He said that they didn't think it was the fuel pump but the crank shaft sensor.

Later they called and told me it was the crank shaft sensor and they could fix it that day for $3 more then the customer's check for his lumber. I told them to fix it. What else could I do?

Got the trailer back yesterday morning and now I'm back to sawing today.
Long story but I thought I'd share it.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Long story but at least the lumber paid for the repairs.  That sensor had probably been giving you trouble for a while.   :-\

paul case

Jim,
That ended better than it could have.
IT could have been worse.
Good you had a customer that was good about it.
And a tow truck driver that wanted to help.
Was you able to get your tools? I guess leaving it up on the lift would have been some sort of theft deterant?

It may seem like you didnt make much on that deal, but your truck might have broke down when you didn't have a sawing job that paid for most of the repair.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

E-Tex

Saw'd a couple 5.5" thick SYP into Mantles.  These things are HEAVY.

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

Yes, they will be a bit lighter when they dry but it will still take some secure anchoring to hold them up.  :o

WV Sawmiller

E-Tex,

Try cutting them out of White or Red Oak then tell us how heavy they are.  ;D

Good looking mantels though.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Lets don't even talk about sawmill jobs paying for repairs.

For the last 2 years I didn't measure logs by the board footage....
But rather by the TPS's.

:D :D :D

Deese

Finished the walnut job thus morning, and managed to saw an Osage Orange live edge mantle before packing up. Just did beat the rain. 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Magicman

I wish that we had more Osage......I think.   :P

Crossroads

That's neat looking stuff! We don't have any of those here that I know of
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Kbeitz

Is Osage Orange the same thing as a smoke tree? We have yard trees called smoke trees
and the wood inside looks the same as your Osage Orange .
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!