iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I was back on my 74 mile road trip today and should finish sawing tomorrow.  It looked like two 30"+ Cherrybark Oaks will be first up.

The lumber whack grows with 1601 bf added today.  I used two blades, one 4° and one T7°

Oh yes and I did this.  :o

The log was set up and ready to saw.  I was actually off of the sawmill seat and reached over with my left hand and moved the wrong lever.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

I've done that too Lynn. In fact, that is one of the ways I know that I'm a real sawyer.  8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Southside

Finished up 1100 ft of pine flooring today. You get an even deeper appreciation for it when you take fiber from stump to floor. 

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Southside, how well does pine hold up as flooring? I thought it would be to soft, but I've thought wrong before. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Crossroads

Only thing I cut today was some 1/2" cdx plywood to go over the ship lap on my roof that has to many gaps for my liking. Should be done with the plywood overlay and get the tar paper on just before the rain gets here tomorrow. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WDH

Many, many, many old homes in the South had pine floors.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Scottasheppard

White oak posts for my tractor shed. Tool shed 

Aka Porkie

btulloh

Quote from: Crossroads on June 08, 2018, 01:05:13 AMSouthside, how well does pine hold up as flooring? I thought it would be to soft, but I've thought wrong before. 

SYP can be pretty hard.  Longleaf even harder.  I don't thing anything's harder than the latewood in some SYP.  Like WDH said, lots and lots of floors done with it.  
HM126

Southside

Quite a few old homes in the north east even have white pine flooring, usually just called wide plank around there. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

That's interesting, I definitely learnt something today 

hopm

i always wanted to do a floor in poplar.....I know it is soft but every mark is character....at least that's what I told myself while the younguns was growing....

WV Sawmiller

A repeat customer came today with a big Red Oak log. He had bibbyed down the big end but it was still 30" across in a couple of places. He had loaded it with a skid steer at his home. I think was around 28" or so on the little end. There was some punky wood around the edges as the log had been down 2 years. It took about all my little JD 750 could do to drag it off the trailer, then I still almost missed the back rail, one end was not square to the loading arms so had to use my MagicMan connect to the clamp trick to hold it in place till we lifted it but we got it loaded. 

Customer wanted it cut into 2X6s. Trimmed and rotated several times till my blades would pass, cut 2- 2" flitches, a 5/4 X 10" board and 3 - 6" cants then started making 2X6's. Trimmed 3-4 down to 2X4s where too much wane on them. Total at the end was a little over 285 bf. There was some weak spots along an old knot or two and several, nearly half, of the boards broke or cracked at about 6' but still good usable short pieces for knee braces and such. He wanted to build an outdoor gazebo of some kind for his wife and figured he had about enough to do his project.

Then when done he went and bought a well seasoned 2"X18"X6' walnut LE board and a couple of 2.5" square X 8' pieces of walnut leg stock I happened to have for his walnut table project. I trimmed off one edge of the walnut board, then cut another 2X4 off it leaving it the sizes he needed. Lumber sales actually exceeded the sawing fee but he was real happy with both. 

After all the hard work was done we finally got this big red oak on the mill.

Finished a little over 285 bf here and a few shorts on customer's truck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 07, 2018, 10:21:40 PM
Appears that I am being watched.  I can get sneaky when it comes to walnut ;D.
We have been talking behind your back.  smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip smiley_gossip
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bruno of NH

In New England we have lots of white pine floors old and new. 
I have laid many over the years.
I have put down 5 or 6 syp floors makes a nice looking floor much harder than white pine.
One of my favorites is fir i just like the look.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

Mountain mahogany (Cercocarpus mountanus). One of my trees/bushes died this spring so I fell it and threw the biggest piece on the mill.

I didn't get a picture of it on the mill.  Man it's hard stuff. I cut really slow and opened the water up all the way. The 10° doublehard blade didn't like it one bit. If I ever decide to cut it again, I'll make sure I have a 7° or even a 4°. Here are some pics of the end result. My wife's hand gives perspective.  Also notice the burn marks from before I opened up the water all the way. 

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

PA_Walnut

Been sawing a lot of curly maple...mostly grade stuff, high-figure, white and clean.

Had a log that exhibited CRAZY figure, but had been down for a while. (not a good plan). So, put it up on the deck yesterday and opened it up with a minimal cut. I always do that with maple to determine the color and figure, then decide how to saw it...usually looking for the thickest stock I can get without hitting heart.

4/4, then a nice wide 5/4 and hit color. So, went to 9/4 slabs. Awesome figure and color...will make great tables.

Next up today, is a hard maple with even more intense figure and a dime-sized heart and large enough to quarter. Should be instrument wood. Stay tuned.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

I finished my 74 mile road trip yesterday.  Well got home at 10PM, so I guess that it was still yesterday?  :-\  The customer had bought Red Oak logs to cut/sell for firewood but we hardly had no Winter so he hardly sold no firewood.  This job was a salvage operation to recover the logs as lumber instead of more firewood that he did not need.

When I got there yesterday AM he had cleared out access to these logs.  I trashed three blades hitting nails/screws.  :-\

Some were not too "sporty" but we sawed them all.  The largest here was 37" butt.

The "log handler" bringing the largest to the sawmill.  :-[

This wack of mostly 12" brought the total to 3475bf of lumber.  Not too shabby and now he has a stickering job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

That's some pretty wood Darrell! 

MM, way to turn firewood into some nice lumber

Bruno of NH

Doing my monthly white pine slabing for sales stock and my customer that buys
10 a month.
Used a WM 10° vortex band it does clean more sawdust off the slabs.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

You are developing quite a wood yard Jim.  Congrats, and nice slabs.   8)

Bruno of NH

Thanks Mr Lynn
Im way behind on milling.
I have alot of logs to mill

Magicman

Pat & I are taking a vacation starting Monday.  I wish that we were heading in your direction because  I would love to stop by for another visit.  Ours was much too short last year.  

MobileSawMilSlo

Today we sawmilled construction wood for sawmill shed. Main beams 28 feet long, 8'x6' made from spruce. 

How I hate this spruce :) :)

Woodmizer LT20 mobile and TTP-600 Premium Plus
DAJK - all sawing equipment in one place

Bruno of NH

I like building with spruce but it can be hard to mill.
I can mill it with ripper 37 bands 7° some times and most times with kasco 4° bands

Jim_Rogers

Starting sawing out some large white pine logs into timbers for a timber frame boat barn in a nearby town. Some 10x10s from these logs:

Here are some natural edge slabs off the first 8' log:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!