iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday I started on a couple of very large, very long red oak logs:

Log "A" has a very large butt flair and I had to trim some with the chain saw. 21'3" x 15" in diameter. Going to finish two oak plank trailer decking orders with this log alone.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Woodpecker52 on October 04, 2018, 01:03:28 AMJust finished hauling to my place 450 logs various lengths, max 20 feet, majority of trees 70 years old.
:o
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Woodpecker52

Thanks magicman I will look into that market.  Just want to agree with what you said, and I am a Forester B.S Miss. State Class of 76 and live just 3 miles down the road from the landowner, still people will just tell a logger go in and cut what you want and pay me what you think its worth and never think twice.  They will be so focused on the price of cotton, beans and corn but be clueless on timber.  I fault a lot of that to the mystery of weight scaling which is easy for the mill but sucks for everyone else.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Lawg Dawg

Live edge poplar shelving boards out of my smaller logs..I hope these dry fairly quickly

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jim_Rogers

Sawing out some red oak trailer planks to finish off a job. Here is a nice piece left over:

Nice stuff, I hope he likes it.

Jim Rogers

Lawg Dawg

Some SYP... going out tomorrow, nothing like waiting till the last minute to get a couple orders sawed.  I'll bet none of you have this problem

People always ask me... you do this for a living?  I say, yes, how much money do you need to make!?  :D  you get out what you put in, for sure!
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

A couple of months ago I sawed some Red Oak for myself to be used on my barn renovation.

Well I finally hauled it over to the farm and stacked it in the barn that it will renovate.  2X12-12's are heavy, especially when you are picking up both ends at the same time.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Magicman on October 05, 2018, 09:34:15 PM
A couple of months ago I sawed some Red Oak for myself to be used on my barn renovation.

Well I finally hauled it over to the farm and stacked it in the barn that it will renovate.  2X12-12's are heavy, especially when you are picking up both ends at the same time.   ::)
You know better than that! ;D Get you a tractor with some forks...I know you got the $$

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Crossroads

It's been a while since I've been able to saw anything, but it happen today. Had short lil road trip of about 1,100 miles round trip to pick up my mill and slab some oak. Spent 4 hours on the oak, then milled a few redwood logs for a friend before heading home.

Left the house at 3:30am on Thursday and pulled back in the driveway at 11:30pm on Friday, I'm tired...
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

It's good to see that your sawmill is finally at home, and that Oak is gonna make someone happy. :)

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on October 05, 2018, 10:55:04 PMYou know better than that! ;D Get you a tractor with some forks...
Sadly I do not see a FEL in my future.  I wish but it ain't gonna happen.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Quote from: Magicman on October 05, 2018, 09:34:15 PM
2X12-12's are heavy, especially when you are picking up both ends at the same time.   ::)
I never pick up both ends at the same time, I just pick up the middle.   ;D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday I finished the last 6 pieces of trailer planks for my customer.

Now I just need him to come over and pick them up.

Jim Rogers

Gagnon Mountain

I sawed my first logs today!  
<b

r>

Magicman

Yes you did and Well Done Sir.  8)

WDH

That is a nice stack, Sir.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Gagnon Mountain on October 06, 2018, 07:16:39 PM

<b

r>

Did you like that smell?! Looks like pine!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Southside

Nice job on that lumber!!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

curved-wood

Quote from: Gagnon Mountain on October 06, 2018, 07:16:39 PM

Ha! ha! you got the sawdust addiction  :) The nice thing is that it is legal but there is no therapy to get out... yet.

Resonator

2 dozen sugar cookies. (Sugar Maple that is.) I sawed them from a freshly cut tree a couple days before the wedding, and none cracked. Gave each one a couple passes through the planer to remove purple spots left by the wet sawdust. When I was delivering them the day before the wedding, the bride asked if I could get some fresh evergreen bows to go with them? No problem, I've got plenty of trees. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Fresh sawn is the perfect recipe for serving Uncracked Cookies.  You did well.  :)

Downstream

Maple cookies look great.  How thick did you cut them?  I have a trailer load of maple chunks to slice into cookies when I get back from a week of vacation in Door County Wisconsin. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Resonator

MM - Thanks! Everything I know about cookies I learned on the Forum!   
Downstream - I rough sawed them at 1". A couple were a little thicker, those being the last slice on the cutting jig. Running them through the planer a couple light passes also made them nice and smooth to use for table centerpieces.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Resonator on October 07, 2018, 11:28:24 AM
MM - Thanks! Everything I know about cookies I learned on the Forum!  
Downstream - I rough sawed them at 1". A couple were a little thicker, those being the last slice on the cutting jig. Running them through the planer a couple light passes also made them nice and smooth to use for table centerpieces.
I never tried sticking one in a planer...was afraid they might fly apart, but your results look really good!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Thank You Sponsors!