iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northeastern Forest Products Expo event 2015

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, January 19, 2015, 03:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

Jim_Rogers

Are you sure? I thought it was in Bangor last year.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

DeerMeadowFarm

Last year was in VT. I thought you went?

According to this link: http://nefpexpo.net/ it's in Bangor.

Jim_Rogers

A mind is a terrible thing to waste......

My wife says it's the first thing to go....

Jim Rogers

DeerMeadowFarm

thecfarm

I was just talking to @JohnM about the show. I hope to be there. I hope my job won't get in the way. I would like to go both days. I will have to put my name on the work calendar to get it off.
It's a great time each and every year.
Who's going?? I'll have my FF hat on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

DeerMeadowFarm

I'm going. Riding up Friday morning with my BIL and maybe my nephew. Staying overnight in Bangor, going back on Saturday for a while, then heading home.

thecfarm

@DeerMeadowFarm,I'll be in touch.  ;D  Looking forward to meeting you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: thecfarm on January 20, 2015, 09:27:42 AM
@DeerMeadowFarm,I'll be in touch.  ;D  Looking forward to meeting you.
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing! We've "talked" via PM over the years but never in person. Looking forward to it!

JohnM

I'll be there, not sure which day.  Hoping LCS will be there (hint-hint @Grandedog  )  ;) ;D

(How do you know if the notifaction thingy worked? ???  Maybe it doesn't show in the preview?  Guess I'll find out.....)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

JohnM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

4x4American

Yup it was in Essex Junction last year.  Were any of yawl there at the WM tent when they did the owner appreciation thing?
Boy, back in my day..

DeerMeadowFarm

I was on a mission to buy a 3-point logging winch 4x4 so I missed it. Actually, there were a lot of things I probably missed/glossed over in my quest to get a winch. This year I hope to play around a lot more and dream big!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

DeerMeadowFarm

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

FarmingSawyer

IF all goes well and I get some work and then ain't swamped with it, I will attend.....
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

thecfarm

DeerMeadowFarm

thecfarm

I have the Norse 450. I did a search on yours. The 4501 looks just about like mine,just a diffeant paint scheme. Norse,Labonville, also sells a 350,like yours,just add a 1. That pivot butt plate and the high pulley,the chain boxes and I keep my twitch hooked up to the cable when I come out of the woods too, I like. Worked mine hard for 3-4 years in the woods with some big pine. Lives a life of ease just doing firewood. I made some 4 foot chains,6 of them,I run 6 chokers,and they are alot easier to use at times.

FarmingSawyer

I have got to get me one of those!!! I'm tired of hooking logs via cable and chain and dragging them out with the hooks on the bucket.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: FarmingSawyer on January 24, 2015, 07:07:12 AM
I have got to get me one of those!!! I'm tired of hooking logs via cable and chain and dragging them out with the hooks on the bucket.
That's what I was doing as well. Driving backwards out of the woods gets old fast!

beenthere

Pulled some firewood out yesterday but prefer to drive forward. Better traction for one, steering for another, and the process just goes a bit faster.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Back in the 80's I would "yard" logs for several different sawmills and customers. All I had was a tractor with a front bucket. So we built a log sled to pull behind the tractor. We'd drive up to each log, cut it to length and lift it up, carry to the sled and then drag the sled out. That way we'd keep the logs clean. The sawmills were very happy with out "clean" logs.
To make it easy to pull the sled back into the woods after unloading at the landing we had a set of chains on the back end so we'd pull it into the woods backwards and then reload.

I don't believe I have any pictures of it.

Jim Rogers

kwendt

Very cool. I'll likely attend the Expo in Bangor...
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

JohnM

Just an FYI, registration is open for the show (maybe it has been ???).  http://nefpexpo.net/  Free entry if you register now and have a biz name.  As always, looking forward to the show and maybe meeting some of you.

CTL logger

I'm going to the show flying up on Thursday to Boston then driving to bangor. Not feeling like driving 13 hours this year round trip airfare was 120 bucks, figured what the heck see how this goes.

thecfarm

@CTL logger,No way to go to Bangor airport??

@JohnM,thank ya much. By the way the biz name is not required. Don't want to get you know who going again this year.  ;)   ;D

CTL logger

To fly directly to bangor airport it was 465 bucks from buffalo I'd have to rent a car anyway to fly buffalo to Boston  it was 120 bucks the wife is coming along so I guess it's 240 for us round trip. I wish it was less I'd fly right to bangor.

thecfarm

That's too bad on the cost. :( Looking forward to meeting you and your wife.

JohnM

Quote from: thecfarm on February 21, 2015, 07:27:28 PM
@JohnM,thank ya much. By the way the biz name is not required. Don't want to get you know who going again this year.  ;)   ;D
Yep, good catch Ray ( @thecfarm ), I just saw a bunch of red * so I filled in the biz name. ::)  I've got someone coming down from Canada for a demo on the Lucas (the slabbing attachment in particular) either the day before or day after the show (just now thinking we may do it Sat morning ???).  You or anyone else that may be around are welcome to come out for a look-see at the Lucas. ;D

thecfarm

John,get them to do the demo at the show.   8)  You could set your mill up there and slab away.

DeerMeadowFarm

Thanks for posting the update; I'll register ASAP. Who is going to the banquet?

sawyerf250

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on January 19, 2015, 03:39:09 PM
Show is in Bangor this year; May 15th & 16th

l hopefully will be going this year?! l missed it the last year it was in Bangor, but always try to go as it usually hits my birthday so its kind of a present to myself you could say?? lol
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

thecfarm

DeerMeadowFarm

Not me either I guess. The banquet is the day before. Looks like we will need to find someplace to eat for Friday night.

sawyerf250

How do you folks get it to notify the person you are trying to mention? And when you do that it notifies them?
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

thecfarm

@sawyerf250,just put an @ in front of a members user name,as I did with yours. I like to copy and paste the members user name. It must be exact to work.

sawyerf250

thecfarm

Just reading through this topic again. Looking forward to going.

Jim_Rogers

thecfarm

I would like or I plan on going both days. It really takes me both days to see it all. One day for the sawmills and one day for the logging.
I wonder if they will have free hotdogs again? I think it was at the Anderson booth? They sell logging equipment, big chippers.

DeerMeadowFarm

We'll be there both days. Looking forward to it!

kwendt

87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

thecfarm

Rely #2 has a link and it's free to get in,IF you sign up before the show. If you don't sign up early,I think,$7 and that is still worth it. They will send the card out in the mail,seem like 2-3 weeks before the show. It's a great show. Lots of small scale equipment to see,sawmills are there,big stuff too. What is handy,it's all at one place. Wear your walking shoes and you will be fine.

kwendt

thanks cfarm, I'm pre registered. I don't know if I can make it, but I'll try. If I come, that'll be three weekends in a row of 3 hours of drive to the Bangor area or so. lol. I'm SUPPOSED to be working... ya know. But if I can make it, ya ya!

I'll fire off a message here... when I'm coming if I can...

thecfarm

JohnM

DeerMeadowFarm

thecfarm

JohnM

Nope. smiley_inspector

I'm guessing we'll see them Friday. :-\

sawyerf250

Have not seen any sign of them yet up here..

Jim_Rogers

Got my tickets today in mail.

Jim Rogers

PS. I'm going on Friday.
Where are we meeting at noontime for FF group photo?
Woodmizer tent or Logrite?

JohnM

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on May 08, 2015, 11:23:09 AM
Got my tickets today in mail.

Jim Rogers

PS. I'm going on Friday.
Where are we meeting at noontime for FF group photo?
Woodmizer tent or Logrite?
Didn't see mine today. :(  I was told by @Tamiam that Logrite won't have their own tent (teaming with someone else I think ???).  I'll meet at the WM tent but I'm wearing my Lucas hat! ;D ;) :snowball:

Tam-i-am

Logrite will be in the OESCO booth.  Maybe you should meet there as Jeff, NESLrite and I are trying to convince them to be sponsors. ;)
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

thecfarm

Why change a good thing???  It's always been Logrite!!!!!!!!! 

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: thecfarm on May 08, 2015, 07:35:35 PM
Why change a good thing???  It's always been Logrite!!!!!!!!!
Not always. I have pictures of us in front of woodmizer booths.

Jim Rogers

thecfarm

Always as in when I was in the picture.  ;D
Got my tickets.

JohnM

bill m

My wife and I will be there sometime on Friday and maybe Saturday morning.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

DeerMeadowFarm

Passes are in. We should be leaving around 8:00 so we should get there around 1:00 or so.

woodman

I will be there there at the Wood Mizer tent Friday & saturday. Stop by and say hello. I am the big fat one. :D ;D

i will

Jim Cripanuk

nhlogga

I'll be there sat. Gotta see the 948L deere skidder. Anyone else goin?
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

beenthere

Maybe should view this Forum thread that has been going on for awhile now. ;)
Am thinking it is the same show. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80761.0.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I'll be there. I will have my forestry forum hat on!!

thecfarm

JohnM did some nice directions for us all. I feel it's ALOT easier to drive by the exit for the expo and come in from the North. I got stuck in traffic one year.
Reply # 41.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62949.40.html
Than Jim Roger made a map in reply # 42.

deastman

I'll be there both days, supposed to have my firewood truck there at the Built-Rite display. As he demo's his processor he'll be loading it into my truck and I'll be making local deliveries in between the demo's. Hoping to see some of you folks there
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

deastman

I was misinformed,  we will be working with the guys from CRD Metalwork's
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

FarmingSawyer

DanG!! I really wanted to go to this....but I'm bound up in 50 different directions this weekend. 2 weeks of delays, breakdowns and malfunctions and a growing list of impatient customers phoning me constantly, and the need to pay for a new used differential for my truck--in additions to the 2nd hand transmission I'm replacing in it--have me needing to work as much as possible while the money is flowing.... And I need to get some logs moved around from here to there if possible.....

Hope every one has a great time! Post some photos!!

thecfarm

DeerMeadowFarm,you there??? Must have missed you today. Anyone can meet at the Logrite tent at noon time Saturday. The Grandson and I will be there again. Logrite will be in the OESCO booth,so if you are facing the Thomas Bandsaws,you are real close. Thomas is green and yellow.
Highlight of the show,JohnM and me was leaving and I saw some good size cedar logs in the back of a pick up,had 2 butt logs,that caught my eye,maybe the biggest 18 inches across and no rot.   :o  All my stuff is rotted out in the middle that size.

JohnM

Quote from: thecfarm on May 15, 2015, 08:29:18 PM
I saw some good size cedar logs in the back of a pick up,had 2 butt logs,that caught my eye,maybe the biggest 18 inches across and no rot.   :o  All my stuff is rotted out in the middle that size.
I had my camera right in my pocket. smiley_dunce  They were really nice cedars.

It was a good show and nice to meet some new and old FF members.  What? ???  The are older than me. ;) :D  Weird layout, all the different vendors were spread all over the place.  Normally most of the sawmills are together(ish), firewood processors near each other, etc.  This year everyone scattered to the wind, kind of odd. 

Ray, that one kid nearly had me sold on that woodsplitter.  I'd like to go back tomorrow but I've got too much to do, and probably best that I don't! ;D ;)

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday noontime meeting at the Woodmizer booth was attended by JohnM, Jim_Rogers,  "TheCfarm", Woodman as shown left to right below:

Thanks to Ross' wife Maurine for taking the picture.

At 1pm we had another opportunity to get another group shot of forestry forum members at the logrite spot at the other end of the event:

Back row left to right, Woodman, Jim_Rogers, theCfarm, sawyer of 5 D's, and BillM.
Front row is JohnM, and NESLrite of Logrite.

Thanks the girl from Oesconic.com for taking the picture.

Jim_Rogers

Jim_Rogers

You never know who's reading the forum.

Yesterday at the Northeastern forest products equipment expo, in Bangor, Maine I had at least 5 people come up to me and say that they read the forestry forum but don't post.

One was a fellow from Maine whose computer crashed and couldn't get his screen name back after he got a new computer. I suggested he contact Jeff to get help to restore his account.

When Woodman and I sat down to have our lunch; we sat with two young firewood men from Pittsburgh, PA. And one said he reads the forum all the time.

Some said that the recognized my name and some said they recognized my face from my picture in my avatar.

I just wanted to thank Jeff for hosting such a great forum for all.

Jim Rogers

Woodhauler

Went  Friday , nice show but a lot of the vendors was ticked off about the bass park management!!!  Told them no free food to be given out other then donuts, candy , and other treats! No cooked food to be given away! Also no soda or free beer! I bought a hot dog without reading price first............. Rivaled fenway parks price!! 3.50 for a sriveled up hot dog!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

thecfarm

That's why Anderson was not giving out free hotdogs.
Had another great day. Met up with deastman yesterday and had a chat with DeerMeadowFarm today.

shamusturbo

Chalk me up as the young man from Pittsburgh who reads the forum all the time and noticed @Jim_Rogers by his avatar. I am always reading to see what I could be doing better and the success people have had in all different facets of the industry.

Thanks for the fantastic forum!!!

-O'Donnell Brothers Firewood, LLC
Pittsburgh, PA

Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

bill m

The show was great as always but I too was disappointed with the Bass park management ( if they are the ones to blame ). I thought the layout was poor and signage to navigate from the indoor vendors to the outside was almost nonexistent.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

Sorry I missed ya shamusturbo. What brought you about 8-10 hours from home besides the show?

thecfarm

pictures of the big days.

Hudson

the Logrite booth,

Norwood

Thomas Bandsaw

Woodmizer

JohnM

Quote from: bill m on May 16, 2015, 07:24:19 PM
I thought the layout was poor and signage to navigate from the indoor vendors to the outside was almost nonexistent.
I got lost trying to get back outside at one point! :D

Shamusturbo, that's a great selfie. :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

shamusturbo

Some thoughts about the show:    -My first time to Bangor, ME. I have been to Dunkirk & Burlington
Very unorganized- mills, firewood, nik-naks, heavy equipment, trailers all intermingled
It seemed quite a bit smaller than Burlington, IMO
CRD Metalworks (the brand of my last 2 processors) was off in its own corner and had no salemen to talk to
The machines were in such tight quarters that they were somewhat reserved from running or running full bore
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

shamusturbo

I knew I was bound to take some heat for that selfie..... There was no one around and my phone supposedly is built for "selfies". Shame on me.....

@thecfarm - I am a CWI by day and have been on a jobsite just north of NYC which puts me halfway there. From home (where my brother (business partner) and dad drove from) is about 13 hours all told- 812 miles total. 
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

FarmingSawyer

I'm kinda sorry I missed the show and the chance to meet all the FF members. Not too sorry, now that I hear it wasn't up to snuff. Got lots of work done around here and sold some lumber instead.....

DeerMeadowFarm

We had a great time at the show. I went to Vermont last year by myself when I was on a mission to buy a 3 pt. winch and I knew I'd go again. Brought my brother-in-law Mark and his son Josh. We all cut our own firewood on our own and together at times (probably going to do that more often now that I bought the woodlot). They loved it!
Mark and I are going to go in on a sawmill together. I was all set to get one on my own this year until we got into some medical issues. Our insurance has declined (thank you Obama  >:() and we are up to $1600 in medical bills and haven't even gotten to the surgeries yet! Anyway, we talked about it and we will most likely pull the trigger next year. We will get the location on my farm prepped for it this fall after all this medical crap blows over.
My only disapointment was that Husqvarna had no booth there. They were'nt in VT last year either. We are all Husky fans and Mark and Josh were both looking for new saws. They tried out Jonsered and Stihl. I'm not sure that they were sold, but if they were it's a shame on Husky not to be there. I sent them an e-mail; we'll see how that turns out....
Friday night we ate at Texas Roadhouse. They had never been to one before so I knew they were in for a treat. My nephew and I picked out some big honkin' ribeyes while Mark picked out a Fillet. We were stuffed! We ended up throwing around a JD nerf football that Mark bought for my neice at the hotel for a while to work that meat through!
We stayed to the end of the show both days. It was a long ride, but we are already looking forward to next year. We met up with Kevin and Ray at the Logrite display on Saturday and talked for quite a while. Great guys both of them!

Thank You Sponsors!