Walnut Beast

Glad you took the time to take pictures! I appreciate it 👍

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

so il logger

<b 

Cut a couple GOL style for you fellas.. 

Old Greenhorn

As soon as I saw the photos I was gonna ask if you bore cut it. :D :D :D But you beat me to the punch dang it all! :) :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

so il logger

So, this tract I'm harvesting is an 80 acre piece that I select cut in 2008. Back then it was Forester marked for the sale and then a few years later the same Forester done tsi work in there. Girdled lots and lobbed allot of saplings off knee high. Now, this is not a dig at foresters but some of the logic I'm seeing implemented here is not comprehensible to me. I took pics of a black oak that is a heavy leaner that is limb locked fork to fork with a leaner white oak, right under them is a girdled white oak that appeared to be a straight young tree. The other 2 are basically hazard trees imo

so il logger

Maybe someone can give insight on why this guy girdled the smaller straight one vs one or both of the others? Or better yet, why the black oak wasn't marked as a cull in 2008

BargeMonkey

Quote from: so il logger on February 02, 2023, 10:34:11 PM
Now, this is not a dig at foresters but some of the logic I'm seeing implemented here is not comprehensible to me.
Hardest I've ever smashed a woodlot was following paint. I've got one to do this summer that was scalped 2yrs ago, company logger, anything that wasn't a good log got girdled and left standing. Every forester I've met is just as slippery as most loggers I know. 

It's going to be fine... plenty of steel left...

Drink coffee and verbally abuse grown men.  Showing the new guys how to do a ring / airbox inspection.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 02, 2023, 10:23:26 PM
As soon as I saw the photos I was gonna ask if you bore cut it. :D :D :D But you beat me to the punch dang it all! :) :D ;D
😂😂 I was thinking the same thing. Nice pictures logger 💪👍

PoginyHill

Quote from: so il logger on February 02, 2023, 10:40:42 PMMaybe someone can give insight on why this guy girdled the smaller straight one vs one or both of the others? Or better yet, why the black oak wasn't marked as a cull in 2008

What is the purpose of girdling a tree rather than simply taking it? I can see its purpose in a unique circumstance, such as wildlife habitat. But as a routine practice, I don't understand.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

so il logger

Quote from: PoginyHill on February 03, 2023, 07:13:23 AM
Quote from: so il logger on February 02, 2023, 10:40:42 PMMaybe someone can give insight on why this guy girdled the smaller straight one vs one or both of the others? Or better yet, why the black oak wasn't marked as a cull in 2008

What is the purpose of girdling a tree rather than simply taking it? I can see its purpose in a unique circumstance, such as wildlife habitat. But as a routine practice, I don't understand.
Beats me, I know it makes my job more difficult having to fall trees around the dead snags that guy made. Wouldn't be a good place for someone to break in

Autocar

Seen the same thing John nice white or red gridled and a four foot white left standing next to them, seems to me you would cut the bigger tree and let the young ones grow. When I have questioned them they say the younger trees were under stress and take them out . Well H### yes its stressed a four foot white is shading it out,  [no sun stress ]. If you can figure anything out in this country anymore your a better person then me. I am tickled that I cut timber all by my self greatest job in the world and I don't have to contend with all the dill weeds in the county.  :D
Bill

stavebuyer

Took a while for it to sink in, but most timber around here is even aged. Sometimes that pencil straight 10" dbh oak is just as old as the 30" dbh crop tree 10' away. The little tree may have done all its ever going to do. Just for grins, cut one of those girdled trees down and have a look at the rings.

Also seems like several trees in that photo have damaged tops. Ice storm and tornado damage can often ruin what wasn't flattened. Not to say the guy that did the TSI or marking didn't mess up, but sometimes things aren't as obvious as they seem.

nativewolf

Stavebuyer has said it well, the small diameter old oaks have been proven to not release well, larger oaks do a better job responding according to the literature.  So the classic release thinning would say to give "leave" trees 3 or 4 sides clear in the canopy.  So that little tree girdling might have made the remaining canopies just perfectly spaced out.  

We have been tracking response to thinnings in our mixed hardwood stands and we have noticed that the old white oaks that are clearly suppressed are the only trees that don't respond as of yet.  Stavebuyer has it right and as he has posted before- when in doubt clearcutting is much safer.  
Liking Walnut

beenthere

And.. no two trained foresters are going to mark the same trees all the same way. They may have a similar goal, but the results will be different and left to forever discuss "why". 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

so il logger

I actually have cut a couple of the girdled white oaks just to see growth rings because of what I've read here in the past. That is why I called the girdled white oak in the pic a younger tree. Much younger actually. So, in late 07 early 08 this stand got a haircut by paint. A mullet I'd say, flash forward and we are doing a haircut again but a more fashionable one. I'd call it a high and tight. Either way it's high grading on the foresters part. And sadly this isn't a independent painting on percentage, it's a state fella

Autocar

Bill

78NHTFY

Not cutting a dang thing today; was -24°F this morning, wind chill around -40°F.  Did cut some dead ash awhile ago. All the best, Rob.

If you have time, you win....

BargeMonkey

🤦‍♂️.... 
Due to the lack of help my release date from incarceration isn't for a few months so if the boat thing bothers anyone speak now. I sat down and priced a NEW winch and GR forestry package for a 450J Im looking at and said I think I will stay a little longer 😆 

It's honestly kind of sad they have to pay me to go do a job these guys should know how to do. 🤦‍♂️ They built 3x basically identical versions of this boat, all 3 have sunk or burned at least 1x. The pointer shows where this one sunk in 95 trying to outrun a hurricane. The one I'm usually on burned to a crisp in 99, the 3rd boat had a massive base explosion and burned up in the mid 80s before being rebuilt. 

My first real major Chiefs job was on this one, they did the pin conversion a few miles from OldGreenhorn @ Feeneys in Kingston, she ran aground in B.C a few yrs ago and went for scrap I believe. 

🤦‍♂️.... they never opened the fuel up, cranked and cranked till they smoked the air starter, then put a new starter on and said maybe a can of ether will help... 

She made it to the paint shop this morning, get the frame done and a nice dark green cab, look good with that log trailer hooked to it. 

Walnut Beast

Keep the pictures and updates coming 💪💪. It's about time your spending some money so you can ride in style!! Looking forward to updates and pictures 

Walnut Beast

Get some of them buffing boyz to go to town on the aluminum and give it some real bling.

Get your hands on a real nice headache rack to
Like this!

barbender

Spend all of that time on the boat and then go set chokers behind a dozer, I don't know about you😁
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Im going for "poor logger", just clean enough to keep the creeper clowns off my back. Same guy has a 3+1 Fontaine 55ton lowboy that's in the talks. Just feed the sickness. 😆

Grandpa

I like the boat pictures. Something I would never see otherwise.

g_man

Quote from: Grandpa on February 05, 2023, 08:00:54 AM
I like the boat pictures. Something I would never see otherwise.
Me too. And looking at them is better than cutting at 25 below.
gg

Thank You Sponsors!